Sponsored by:

Adding locking collars to Bilstein HDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If these are installed correctly, they will not realistically move, unless you are doing some serious track work to open up the possibility.
Exactly
If the drop link is set up so that it is at or close to verticle when the car is on the ground
And the collar is set with a hammer and punch...
No worries

Marking it to keep an eye on it, as Phil said, will help you sleep at night
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

I just bought these Bilstein HD shocks/struts too. I have been reading up on the install, and hear that some people are adding the 2nd locking collar. I have decided after really looking at them that this may not be necessary. I would think that Bilstein would have addressed this if it were needed. These are basically street shocks/struts, so the loads should not be as great.

I think as long as the mount and locking collar are well tightened it should be fine. I will make a visible line, and check it a few times, and with any luck, it will never move.

Rich
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
I just bought these Bilstein HD shocks/struts too. I have been reading up on the install, and hear that some people are adding the 2nd locking collar. I have decided after really looking at them that this may not be necessary. I would think that Bilstein would have addressed this if it were needed. These are basically street shocks/struts, so the loads should not be as great.

I think as long as the mount and locking collar are well tightened it should be fine. I will make a visible line, and check it a few times, and with any luck, it will never move.

Rich
You've got it Rich
I would only add that the drop link should end up perpendicular to the road, or close to it when the tires are on the ground, suspension loaded
Old 03-08-2014, 12:52 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for confirming Mark. I bought them from your company!!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nuts

I had tried to address this when I was putting in my adj. control arms. I called Bilstien and tried to see if I could purchase extra locking nuts to sandwich the drop link mount. I was told they did not make any for the underside of collar. You can see in this pic that it appears the O.D. of the locking nut probably wouldn't clear the underside due to angle of collar towards drop link. Just used a punch and set it as tight as I could without breaking it. Made sure drop link was symetrical and as true to vertical as possible. Hasn't moved yet.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  84.6 KB
Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Marking it to keep an eye on it, as Phil said, will help you sleep at night

And this is exactly what I'll do. As usual, always best to consult the experts before taking things apart. I'll consider this problem solved unless I notice rotation. Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Adding locking collars to Bilstein HDs