Sponsored by: DashLynx

Carfax/odometer rollback

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:32 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a curiosity, I had ran a carfax on one of my cars I bought new in 1987. I know the real mileage was about 44,000. The Carfax report showed 144,000. I contacted Carfax, sent them car service history with mileages and dates serviced and they amended their records.

I do know where I live they track mileage during bi-annual state inspections and each inspection recorded the correct mileage. So not sure how they added 100,000 miles.

When I am ready to sell a car, like checking your credit report yearly, I need to run my own carfax, and include it with the service history to stay on the offense.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:20 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I e-mailed Carfax about an error on my report, relating to a "Not Actual Miles" title being erroneously by Utah DMV. Below is their response on how to fix the Carfax report.

Tom

"Thanks for contacting CARFAX by email.

CARFAX receives all of its data in electronic form from its sources. Thus CARFAX has not introduced any clerical errors; no data entry is performed by CARFAX. For more information about CARFAX's data sources please visit http://www.carfax.com/cfm/hcwhereinfo.cfm.

The Not Actual Mileage title issued on 05/13/2002 was sent to us from Utah DMV.

In order for CARFAX to amend a title record that appears on our report, we require the following documentation:

- a copy of the incorrect AND corrected titles, OR
- a letter on letterhead from the state DMV that issued the title explaining the nature of the
error, OR
- a complete title history report from the issuing state department of motor vehicles

Please complete the attached Data Review Request Form and return via fax with the requested supporting documents to 703-218-2853. If you prefer, you may mail this in as well.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause for you and do appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Please let me know if you have further questions for CARFAX."

Quick Reply: Carfax/odometer rollback