Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 04:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

the 964 cup cars had either SPG or Pole Positions. you can get those wrapped in leather. i think the smaller harness holds and narrower head rest is a better fit with 993. these seats are not as "darth vader" looking at the GT3?
Old 07-30-2003 | 04:18 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

two complaints about the GT3 seats.
1)significant blind spot in daily driving.
2)impossible to reverse the car comfortably without gymnastics.
two plus points
1)cool to look at
2)it says porsche
Old 04-26-2004 | 11:04 PM
adegraeve
Instructor

this is what the GT3 seats look like installed in a 993 turbo. The only negative i've experienced is the difficulty in accessing the rear.

alain
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004 | 11:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by adegraeve
...The only negative i've experienced is the difficulty in accessing the rear....
Remove the rear seats...end of problem
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:01 AM
adegraeve
Instructor

david,
are you still looking for your SY TT?? As you can see, i did a lot to mine since we last PM'd

alain
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:17 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Alain - Yes...still looking...more passive looking rather than active though as I'm spending most of my time out of the US these days. Also considering other colors (ie white or maybe a more aggressive color...purple if I can find one)

Very nice job with all the mods...a lot of the same things I would have done were it mine. You need to get that V1 out of the way with an ingenious stealth mod (which you can then share with us!). I've had the GT3 seats in my cab for 3+ years and recently installed a rear seat delete kit so I could better carry golf clubs...plus the rear seats weren't getting used much anyways.

Old 04-27-2004 | 12:20 AM
adegraeve
Instructor

working on the stealth mode.....

anyway do you have any pic of the seat delete option? where can one get it??? Factory right?

alain
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:37 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Alain - Yes, it was a factory option. Sorry I don't have pics now as I'm away from my computer....if you do a search there were a few threads on this a 3-4 mos ago with pics...including a fellow rennlister who installed subs in his....search under "Rear seat delete". They come up on ebay but are a bit pricey ($750 or so), or you can get from a breaker (ie LA Porsche). I got mine from LAP but opted for one that was in poor condition as I planned to recarpet and recover the door bins anyways. The nice option about them is that the door bins lock when you lock the car (still need to get the harness for my car).

I've been looking for a stealthy box-type mount for the main V1 unit since I have a cab but have yet to find one. Have seen some nice mounts for the remote display though...mine is in the ashtray but I'm thinking of moving it into the dash.
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:52 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

FWIW, the Cobra Misano R weighs 23lbs and offers full recline. I like the carbon fiber backs and the polished aluminum sides. Seems like a nice compromise.
Old 04-27-2004 | 01:50 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

IMHO, the seats you guys really want to get is the Ricaro A8 seats - these are the ones that Ruf used in their 993 model cars.
Id love to know if these are still available and sold in the US -- group buy??
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:01 AM
nman413
Drifting

I sat in CP's car with the A8s on Saturday. While they were comfy, they were kinda constrictive around the shoulders and I'm not really a big guy so ymmv.
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:21 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by Rob 97 993c2
IMHO, the seats you guys really want to get is the Ricaro A8 seats - these are the ones that Ruf used in their 993 model cars.
Id love to know if these are still available and sold in the US -- group buy??
Here's a pic of my Recaro A-8s. Full-recline, Aluminum frame with plastic shell. Foam cushion on fabric strung across the frame. Very light (I was told by the PO). My seats are with buffalo hides that is more textured, thus more 'grabby' than regular leather surface. The bolster and support around the shoulder, the outer thighs, and the lower back are superb. They come with racing belt shoulder pass-throughs so it is actually a cross between a sports and a racing seat. Even without the harness, they brace the driver in beautifully. You can look at the picture and may be see why. They are prepped for a four-point harness, but without the crotch pass-through for the fifth/sixth point belts. I'm sure it can be modified to suit a 5/6 point harness system though.

While the RUF is a spectacular car all over, I appreciate these seats the most. Ironically, this is not even a part of the BTR package. I'm just thankful that the PO specified these seats when he did the conversion.

The A8s were available through Porsche for European GT2s and GT3s, but was never available for the U.S. market. I have spoken to Recaro in Germany and Italy and was told that they are discontinued. The closest replacement is the Recaro Pole Positions. IMHO, they are different seats. So unfortunately, A8s are not available here period, and certainly no groupp buys.

CP
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:27 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by icerbofh
I sat in CP's car with the A8s on Saturday. While they were comfy, they were kinda constrictive around the shoulders and I'm not really a big guy so ymmv.
Jauder,

You will much appreciate the 'very restrictive' shoulder bolsters in a very fast corner.

I have Recaros in a few previous vehicles, some even with adjustable side wings (ala the E46 M3 optional sports seat), and I have yet to have a seat that provides more lateral support in fast turns. With these A8s, I never need to use the steering wheel as a brace, between the seat and the dead pedal, I'm PLANTED.

Best seats I've ever had, bar none.

CP
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:38 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

cp,

the A8s are supportive like you said..but they are not light for sure.
I had one in my Cosworth many years ago

I have owned a number of recaros, and this is one of the better ones.

SPG is all out and I love it for my rx7 , but nothing more than just the track...

I dont like the Pole Position as the sides are too low and wide. even my fat **** is not in tight....(this sounds wrong.....)

I also have the recaro sport in my GTR. I stole these seats off a Mitsubishi EVO. But I think they are available from recaro NA. Not light..I believe these replaced the A8s.
Old 04-27-2004 | 11:00 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any inputs on the usability of the rear seats with GT3 seats installed? Would my 3 year old still be able to get back into her booster seat?

Quick Reply: GT3 Seats