Sponsored by:

Impressions of a 993 after 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:16 PM
BDH#66
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions of a 993 after 3 months

After 3 months, 2k miles an a complete check over plus a day at the track, I now have some impressions of 993’s in general and my wife’s daily driver 95 Cab tiptronic in Speed yellow.

The car came to us in wonderful shape with 24K miles. The third day the air conditioner went out. A trip to the dealer revealed the need for a new evaporator coil. $1600. The previous owner no doubt knew about this and it was probably a reason for the $33K price. But including the air it was still a steal.

I do all the work on my F class PCA race car including complete suspension, alignment, tranny overhaul, engine etc. I consider my self at least a fair week end wrench. I decided to do a complete check including the 30K service at 26K miles. The plugs are a PITA but if you do it the way the manual says all can be torqued correctly and the job took about 3 hours.

Oil change relative to my 3.2 race car is also a PITA. About an hour. The tranny oil (Tiptronic) required a home made filler system but the service was easy and cost less than $90 ($350 at the dealler). I will now change tranny fluid every time I change the oil. Without doing the filter, (required every 30k miles) it will only add about 15 minutes.

The slow speed fan was not functioning correctly and a ballast resistor was indicated as the culprit. Also a PITA. $45 and 1.5 hours.

The spoiler wall was split. Easy fix at $96 20 minutes.

The top jammed once so I checked the cables which were too short indicating wear. I removed the cables measured then had a marine dealer fabricate replacements at $15 each versus $260 for the Porsche part. Easy about 1 hour per side.

Every thing else seemed perfect, so I believe the car is in excellent shape now.

I purchased a DAS roll bar and installed it so we could take it to an occasional DE when I don’t want to load up the race car or the wife wants to drive. It took about 2 hours to install and now goes in or out in about 20 minutes. To please the bride I had it painted speed yellow. She actually likes it installed.

Off to the track. A free day at TMS just to play. The car is totally stock with SO2 rubber.

The tip has too much space between 1st and 2nd which makes it a dog coming out of slow corners. Brakes are excellent. No problems at all and TMS is brutal on brakes. When she gets above about 50 mph she actually runs very well. I was able to cover an E class 944 with race tires, an 88 3,2 Carrera with race tires and various other less capable cars driven by race qualified drivers. Jim Buckley’s Sooper G car had too much in the corners but even with the tip the cab pulled him on the straights. Top speed was actually a little higher than with my 3.2 in our race there in May. The balance and forgiving nature makes the 993 much easier to drive than the 3.2 Carrera. Once, I got the rear out a little through the infield chicane and actually came all the way out of the throttle without upsetting the car too much. Tire pressure was set a little lower than the book at 32 rear 30 front cold which heated to 38-40 hot and worked well. The natural street car push was greatly reduced. I was shocked by the action of the Tiptronic tranny. In automatic mode after a couple of hard corners it would arrive in a mode where it was actually chirping the tires as it downshifted multiple times under heavy braking. It always seemed to be in the right gear and did not shift untill the car was unloaded comming out of NASCAR 4.

Over all this is a great car. The tip is perfect for a Cab.

All in all the car was a bargain. I would take another in this shape for that price if I could find it.

Bryan
Old 07-27-2003, 04:44 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice write-up Bryan! Great stuff! Are we going to see you at TWS?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bryan, great to see you're enjoying the car! They are just a ball on the track! As we were talking before about the RSR mufflers on my car; they add a bit more to the overall experience.

Danny, Bryan is an active club racer for the Maverick region, and I had the opportunity for Bryan to ride with me at the June DE at TWS. He gave me some great tips from another perspective.

Cheers!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:54 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking love what i'm hearing!!!

you did get a steal! 993's kick A$$ dude!
especially @ that price.
best,
r.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Bryan,

Sorry I missed last Friday - got overwhelmed at work...

I'm looking forward to seeing your cab - sounds beautiful! If you are interested in checking out PSS-9, RSR's, GT3 seats, and some interior goodies for the 993 look me up at the next Mav DE at MSR. I'm in yellow now and would be happy to let you take my car for a spin.... in fact - as embarrassing as it would be - perhaps I could take you out for a session to remind you how far you've come as a driver!

Ben
Old 07-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Bryan H
Track Day

Thanks Guys,

I will be at TWS as an advanced instructor. I haven't missed but 3 or 4 since about 1992. However, I will probably in the green car since I have just redone the sway bars and will need a check out cruise. I think my wife will do the next MSR event in the cab.

Bryan
Old 07-28-2003, 09:58 AM
N105DVV
Instructor

Great post Bryan.

You covered all the poular DIY's in one swoop. Should be an incentive to all.

BR/Phil...

Quick Reply: Impressions of a 993 after 3 months