Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck Lifter

Went down to the Hergesheimer Garage Sale yesterday morning. On my way home, after getting gas, when I start the car, it sounds like a lifter got stuck. A really loud clicking that varied with engine speed. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from my repair ship, so I took it over and left it for them to look at on Monday. Jeff (Randall Aase Motors) agreed that it was a lifter, but he won't know more until Monday. The car was fully warmed up, the oil had been changed 3 weeks before with 15W50, and I have never had noisy lifters before.
The car has obnly 35K miles, oil has always been changed regularly.

Is this a fluke, with a lifter going bad, or do I need to be concerned about this happening again, next time farther from home? TIA>
Old 07-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. When getting repaired by a shop recommended by Steve W. the owner indicated that typically a stuck/collapsed lifter is not a mechanical problem rather a contamination one. suggesting that lifters do not wear out just get clogged. After fixing just the offending part. I have had trouble free motoring since ~2,000 mi.

good luck!

Old 07-28-2003, 03:31 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Pete:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune,...this is not all that unusual.

The hydraulic lifters are very tiny precision machined little parts and are very very sensitive to ANY dirt or small bit of carbon.

Sometimes these things just happen and I do tell all of our clients that they really should not go beyond 3K in between oil changes to help prevent this from happening. City traffic, periods of idling, and short trips do exacerbate the chances of this happening.

Thank heavens that its not too expensive to access & replace the lifters,.... The lifters run around $ 26/each.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the car back yesterday evening. The #1 intake lifter had collapsed, and the sealing ring on the rocker side was pounded up pretty good.

I couldn't wait to drive it all over. I know it was all in my mind, but it seems to run even better now. Amazing how I missed the car even though it was only gone for 3 days. This is my 3rd Porsche, and I still feel that way, 10 years after buying the first one.

Quick Reply: Stuck Lifter