Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer problems after battery disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM
ddllmcb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, Unfortunately there has been no progress in getting a clean read with the Smog Test device. A mechanic at the smog place suggested that perhaps a fuse in the circuit to the computer memory is burned out. In the fuse box list I found fuse #18 "Instruments, central informer, (diagnostic), catalytic converter control". Does anyone know about this circuit? Everything with the car seems to be working fine, other than the Smog Test problem. By extracting and checking this fuse, could I make my problem worse?Thanks.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David A
I don't think so since OBD 1 is simpler but someone here can confirm, I have a 95 too and I would like to know.
It is not an issue with OBD 1 (1995 model) 993's.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ddl,

You are forgetting that the full moon before you want to perform the reset you need to light a tire on fire and dance naked around the burning tire for 26.28 minutes exactly.

What my guy told me and it worked last time I changed my battery. When cold start car drive for 26 minutes not to rev over 3000 RPMs for the duration. Check with scanner. Repeat until it reads clear.

Patience does help.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"When cold start car drive for 26 minutes not to rev over 3000 RPMs for the duration."

Right, and that's ONLY the first of two (maybe three) trips that MUST be
completed with cold starts before each trip.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

I helped a friend get the readiness codes on his 1996 -- the easiest thing to get the first few was to start the car, and turn on the AC to max and turn on the radio (to put a load on the alternator). Then just let the car idle like this for 5 min, then go for the drive part where you don't exceed the speed/rpm limits.

-reiner
Old 02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Once the CE light is cleared the following readiness cycle can be followed to reset the code or you could drive the car for a while in a variety of situations that would allow each system to do it's thing:

Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 s.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for approx 5 mins.

Following the start engine phase the sequence of test conditions may interchange. routine will be discontinued whenever:

Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH

The route that I took did have some starts and stops in it, but as long as you follow the instructions (not to exceed 3k rpm, don't make large throttle fluctuations and don't exceed 60 mph) it will work.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ddllmcb
Greetings, Unfortunately there has been no progress in getting a clean read with the Smog Test device. A mechanic at the smog place suggested that perhaps a fuse in the circuit to the computer memory is burned out. In the fuse box list I found fuse #18 "Instruments, central informer, (diagnostic), catalytic converter control". Does anyone know about this circuit? Everything with the car seems to be working fine, other than the Smog Test problem. By extracting and checking this fuse, could I make my problem worse?Thanks.
Fuse # 18 has nothing to do with your car computer memory in the ECU module. You should consider going to a different smog place with more experienced mechanics. Please do not allow them to mess with car's ECU/DME unit.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
ddllmcb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, thanks very much for the recent posts on this. (Rennlist is really a great resource, which means that the people on Rennlist are great!) I am still working on this problem. Cheers
Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Ddl,

You are forgetting that the full moon before you want to perform the reset you need to light a tire on fire and dance naked around the burning tire for 26.28 minutes exactly.

What my guy told me and it worked last time I changed my battery. When cold start car drive for 26 minutes not to rev over 3000 RPMs for the duration. Check with scanner. Repeat until it reads clear.

Patience does help.
actually, Ed is right, it does involve Voodoo...

Go to the Big Easy, go to cemetery #1, find Marie Laveaux's grave and leave a gift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau

The VooDoo priestess will bestow good wishes upon you, including setting the drive cycle monitors on your 993.

I actually did this when I was in New Orleans for the BCS and good fortune followed.

A code reader will help considerably, as it will tell you if /when the dive monitors are set. I believe you can also go to autozone or oreilly's and they will let you borrow one.

For a $100 or so, they are a worthwhile investment.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Must one complete a drive cycle after changing battery for MY 96 and higher 993s?
Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Must one complete a drive cycle after changing battery for MY 96 and higher 993s?"

A minimum of two is required.
In my first hand experience (granted, limited to 2 993's) disconnecting the battery does not clear the readiness indicators. I've replaced the batteries in both (1 I left disconnected for about 12 hrs) and when I installed the new batteries and checked the Readiness Flags they were still set, no "drive cycles" required.

YMMV
Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
actually, Ed is right, it does involve Voodoo...

A code reader will help considerably, as it will tell you if /when the dive monitors are set. I believe you can also go to autozone or oreilly's and they will let you borrow one.
And try to find one that will read the Motronic engine load parameter so then you don't have to worry about voodoo. The driving conditions for reaching readiness codes all have load requirements. And the biggest issue is that there is no one-to-one correlation between engine load and throttle input or engine speed.

Quick Reply: Computer problems after battery disconnected