Sponsored by:

LF Source for Bosch Rebuild Parts for Starters and Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts
Default LF Source for Bosch Rebuild Parts for Starters and Alternators

I'm looking for a source for original Bosch parts to rebuild my starter while I have the engine and transmission out.

I already know about Wagner and WAI Global for aftermarket parts, but I prefer to go with original Bosch.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bosch does provide rebuilt starters & alternators through their network and its something we stock.

Its normally done on an exchange basis, however some people do elect to keep their original ones as a rebuildable core.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a pretty bad experience with a Bosch "remanufactured" alternator -- lasted 11K miles before crapping out. Maybe I just had bad luck, or maybe they're not remanufactured very well.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Bosch does provide rebuilt starters & alternators through their network.
Thanks Steve, but mine is working fine even though it is the original.

I'm just going to disassemble it, media blast the painted surfaces, repaint them and what I was planning to do since it is all apart, clean up the commutator, replace the brush assembly, bushings and drive unit. These are nickle and dime items, so I might as well since it will be all apart.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NP993
I had a pretty bad experience with a Bosch "remanufactured" alternator -- lasted 11K miles before crapping out. Maybe I just had bad luck, or maybe they're not remanufactured very well.
Noah, have you seen Bosch's what-they-do to when rebuilding an alternator. I'm not surprised. Have a look.

"Rotor slip ring machined to the toughest concentricity specifications in the industry".

Hello...have you seen how thin these are when new and have you seen what they look like after 100K miles with groove worn into them...and they want to machine them smooth? Hell I can do that on my lathe, but I will be replacing them with new slip rings as Bosch or any other rebuilder should.

"Voltage regulators and rectifiers 100% tested and replaced where required".

OK, so there really aren't any moving parts, but electronics can still be stressed which shortens their life.

The price of a rebuild while still reusing critical components is a lot to pay for a coat of shiny paint. Mind you, a quality and new Bosch unit is reliable. They just jumped into the rebuilding business like the rest of them. I'd bet most rebuilds under various names come from a few plants.

Quick Reply: LF Source for Bosch Rebuild Parts for Starters and Alternators