993 Cab problems : another question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
wheelerdealer55
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Cab problems : another question

Fellow RL'ers
After scouring the forum I was delighted to find the cab latch thread...Broken brass gears was the source of my problems and now I have the solution! Love this forum!
However, now that I am knee deep in this, there is one more issue that I'd love to get some advice on.
My cab system only operates when the keys are in the ignition a d switched to point 2 (ie all power is on and the point just before turning the engine)
If the engine is running, the top won't move....is this normal operation? I would have thought this would be stressful for the battery and as such would like to be able to open and close the top with the engine running.....any advice was to where I should start looking?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

My top moves with the engine running…..always has…….microswitch or switch issue?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM
wheelerdealer55
Advanced

My guess is that the micro switches are fine as the top moves when the engine is off and I believe they are all position dependent.
I'm wondering if there is a signal that goes into the control unit that it telling it not to engage when the motor is running...:-(
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a '97 that operates with the engine running. I suspect it would also operate with just the ignition in the "run" position. As You mention, it could be a control issue or perhaps a relay?
Gary
Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM
stormy down
Advanced

Default 993 Cab Problems

Attached 2 documents on the Cab top control that I've stashed away over the years... Hopefully they can help. The logic flow doesn't mention Engine status but I know mine works with engine running. Also, don't think it mentions "Handbrake On" and I know that is a pre-requisite.

Credits for original documents are shown in .doc files.

Good luck! Hope you get it fixed before this great weather ends :-)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Cab Top Logic Flow.doc (28.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM
wheelerdealer55
Advanced

Thank for the info!
Thought I had the problem locked down when I found a splice into the "15" signal connected to the controller...removed the connection but no dice.
Bottom line is that I am in a rats nest of aftermarket wiring/splicing that's probably contributing to the problem.
I'm pulling out the knee guard, removing the audio system and relocating the switches to the dash, so guess this is as good a time as any to try and clean up the wiring!!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 PM
wheelerdealer55
Advanced

I decided to try and track down this issue as I am installing the rennline knee guard delete and moving the cab switches to the dash. After going all the way back to the ignition switch I tried to pull it out and it fell to pieces in my hands! Popped down to the local dealer, got a new switch, installed it, and yes....the car started...but the roof still won't operate with the engine turning over (sigh)
When I press the up/down switch I can hear the relay in the controller "clicking" but no power to the motors...when I stop the engine and put the ignition switch to on (the point before engine start) everything works. This tells me that the current is getting to the system, so I'm thinking it's the controller. Removed the old solder and resolve red by hand, but no dice....
Further down the hole we go!!

Quick Reply: 993 Cab problems : another question