Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Dude, you make it so easy.

Old 07-26-2003, 05:27 PM
sodly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you Griot's guys use the Porter Cable orbital polisher they sell? They claim it's "different" that the one you can buy at the store because it has a plastic/rubber backing plate (or something) so it won't transfer heat to the pad. What Porter Cable model is it? The 7424 looks just like it and I see other detailing websites selling that model. What gives? Is it a 7424?
Old 07-26-2003, 08:32 PM
914und993
Pro

I have a Porter Cable orbital sander/polisher. Bought it at the Tool Crib on Amazon.com for a lot less than Griot's sells it for, and it has a rubber backing pad, so I don't know what Griots is talking about. Besides, I don't see a way to transfer heat from the orbital polisher itself to the finish. Heat is generated at the polisher pad/paint interface, but keep speeds low, pressure limited, and your pads wet and there shouldn't be any problem if you want to use the polisher.

Chip
Old 07-26-2003, 10:27 PM
DrZ
Racer

Strongly advise you do a search on Autopia.Org before getting too deep into the Porter-Cable thing. Too much to summarize here other than to say that all PC model are the same except for backing plate, counter wgts, and attachments for sanding( needless to say the latter feature should not be contemplated for you car). Lowes has the best local price. Coastal Tool is the source on the Internet. Buy from Griots only if you wish for no good reason to pay more.

Most Autopians equate synthetics i.e., Klasse, Zaino and Blackfire as a colder more sterile shine especially on darker colors. Carnuabas like PS21
and Souveron are deeper, richer but not as durable. By combining the two you get the best of both worlds but remember Synthetics do not bond to wax so you can only "top" Zaino for example with Souveron, not vice versa.
It is also generally accepted that S100 is the same formula as the more expensive PS21. Harley dealers have it on the shelf but word is that it is being phased out, so if you see any buy a few jars.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:21 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

I was using Mother's Carbauba for more than 10 years before converting to Zaino. Agree I had that "Saran Wrap" effect at first which disappointed me. However with more layers the effect is lessened but still there. One mistake I made was not to use the right applicator and one that was not clean ie. only rinsed from previous applications.

Just bought the new ZFX accelerator and new formula Z2 - With the first application of 3 coats with a proper and clean applicator, it's close to a fresh carnauba finish ie. it has depth, not more cling wrap look. Just my latest experience.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 AM
sodly
Instructor

Man, you Zaino lovers must have a lot of time on your hands! I can' t even imagine putting 3, 4, 5 or more applications of anything on my cars. It would take days! How do you do it? And how do you keep your arm from falling off? I think I'd go nuts after the first couple of coats.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:21 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Zaino goes on quite easily....You don't have to put it all on at the same time.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by sodly
Man, you Zaino lovers must have a lot of time on your hands! I can' t even imagine putting 3, 4, 5 or more applications of anything on my cars. It would take days! How do you do it? And how do you keep your arm from falling off? I think I'd go nuts after the first couple of coats.
Not being a wax it goes on and off very easily. It feels like it takes less effort to do three coats of Zaino than one coat of a paste wax.

I also feel that I'm less likely to scratch my finish with an errant contaminant in the buffing cloth, because I use so much less pressure and time with Zaino.

Last edited by User 4621; 07-27-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Zymol Titanium, and have had great results on my black 993 and light blue metallic 911SC. It's a lot of work, though it smells wonderful. My cars are garaged and driven regularly, mostly in good weather. I have found that the Zymol Titanium is VERY durable. The water doesn't just bead when I wash it -- it literally falls off the car (which speeds up the drying process). The gloss is beautiful and deep-looking. Also, I wash the car with Zymol Clear, which the company says does not strip wax -- seems to be true.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:35 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool re: orbital/griots version

hey "sodly"(?)

after paying for the griots' version... realized "porter*cable" (mod. # 7336... 6" dia. var. speed random orbit sander) made it for them... griots just puts it in a pretty box. the pad included has some holes in it and a velcro hold for their various pads... the cat. # of the pad is: 18001/standard pad, also made by "p.c."
hope this can save ya a few bucks... heard somewhere griots' is like another $40-$50 bucks more than home depot.

happy waxing.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:32 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool re: orbital/griots version

hey "sodly"(?)

after paying for the griots' version... realized "porter*cable" (mod. # 7336... 6" dia. var. speed random orbit sander) made it for them... griots just puts it in a pretty box. the pad included has some holes in it and a velcro hold for their various pads... the cat. # of the pad is: 18001/standard pad, also made by "p.c."
hope this can save ya a few bucks... heard somewhere griots' is like another $40-$50 bucks more than home depot.

happy waxing.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:22 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I really dont want to confuse the issue any more, but you could try Klasse. Like Zaino, its a polymer-based resin (not a natural wax) but unlike Zaino, it takes about 30 minutes to do the car. Its a two stage process, admittedly the second stage is a little harder to apply, but the easiness of the first stage (All-In-One) is so, well, easy it makes up for it. After using Zymol for about 7 years (and spending a good 3-5 hours applying it), nowadays I get the car done in about an hour. For in between washes, I add a little All-In-One to the mixer on my hose and rinse the car off after washing before wiping it down - takes about 15 minutes.

Having not used Zaino, I cant compare but compared to Zymol, I think its more reflective and certainly more longer lasting and it has no particular towel/ambient temperature requirements.

cheers.

Quick Reply: wax reviews