Sponsored by:

verifying mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:05 AM
993mac
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default verifying mileage

is there any way to verify the mileage on a 993 other than through its history - ie with the diagnostics tool or similar...?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really. There's some folklore about the "running hours" in the DME, but that assumes that the battery was never disconnected.

Even so, you have to pick some arbirtary speed to average the hours over.

I'd suggest that you look for empirical evidence of mileage. Wear on the front bumper, the wheel wells, the driver's side seat, steering wheel, tires, etc.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know here in PA when filling out our annual registration forms there is a slot on the form for "mileage" to be entered. Also, our annual inspection stickers include a place for mileage to be written at time of inspection. Don't know about the locale you're inquiring about.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:23 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

It is SCARY how easy our odo's can be rolled up or down... I had my Silver Gauges installed last year and I wanted to reflect the true milaege. This guy I was sent to he rolled up the odo in less than half an hour... You simply cannot tell...very scary...
I agree look for tail tail signs of wear, especially the interior and seats will say a lot.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:25 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ray Calvo
I know here in PA when filling out our annual registration forms there is a slot on the form for "mileage" to be entered. Also, our annual inspection stickers include a place for mileage to be written at time of inspection. Don't know about the locale you're inquiring about.
That type of data would show up on carfax. I would agree with Jeff but all those items can be replaced. I have found that a good indicator of high mileage vs. low mileage are the pedals. Most people do not think about the wear on a clutch, brake or accelerator pedal.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche pedals seem to be VERY hard wearing. The pedals on my 68,000 mile 911SC and my 51,000 mile 993 hardly show any wear at all. If Porsche pedals show wear it would indicate to me that the mileage is quite high. IMHO seat wear, steering wheel "smoothness" and gear **** wear are better indicators.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:45 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If car has low mileage would also check rear brake wear and or replacements. Worn carpeting and/or new mats can be another indicator. Normally if car is in for warrantee work there should be record of mileage. So may want check VIN against dealers - maybe PCA's database.

Quick Reply: verifying mileage