Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quickjack

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 AM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice and portable but for $400 more you can buy a nice useable midrise lift like this one

Last edited by esses; 02-01-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
looks nice and portable but for $400 more you can buy a nice useable midrise lift like this one
This is the direction I'm going.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Why wouldn't you want a scissors lift? This one has a 26" lift, that isn't enough to drop a motor, at least not without rear bumper removal. My Bendpak goes up over 4', and doesn't hinder me from ANY work on my 993. I have the BP, but my comments would apply to any scissor lift-many have them in their garages, and love them.
that is right on point. That extra height-up to 52" I believe for my mid rise, can put things at eye level if needed. Every winter the car goes up, fender liners, mufflers, misc. bumper brackets, bumper covers, wheels, etc...come off. This allows me direct access to lots of nooks and crannies that Central new York's finest crud can get into.

Great for detailing also, much easier to polish at waist height, than laying on your belly.

One down side, lower body panels elevated to waist height can show waaay more defects than when viewed at ground level. Yeah it's tough to access the center of the car around the lift hydraulic's etc...overall, a very good investment for relitively little money.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Let's not confuse a sub-100 LB. porta lift with something 7X heavier.

(I think I put "20" per side above. My mistake was reading kilos, stating pounds. Knew each side was heavier.)
I meant versus the scissors lift. This Quickjack opened my eyes to the "pit-style" or "frame-style" lifts. I certainly agree Quickjack is great for most anything you'd do at a track; or really even most things I would do in the garage.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Why wouldn't you want a scissors lift? Better check the data again on this one again: This one has a 26" lift, that isn't enough to drop a motor, at least not without rear bumper removal.

I helped a guy drop a 911 engine with one of these. He bought it with the express purpose of making the engine drop simpler. Imagine his disappointment as we disassembled the rear end of the car to clear the motor. Even before I had my lift, I could get the *** end up high enough on jackstands to clear the motor on my ATV lift. This thing is good for taking wheels off, that's about it. I like more clearance even doing things like oil changes.

My Bendpak goes up over 4', and doesn't hinder me from ANY work on my 993. I even used it under my 928, and swapped the complete exhaust system from motor to tail pipes, without any problem.

I have the BP, but my comments would apply to any scissor lift-many have them in their garages, and love them.
Hopefully this isn't too OT from OP. It's obvious I have no experience with scissors lift, but a ton of interest. My impression was the cross-bar would hinder any repairs towards the middle of the car. That's an issue that has held me from making the purchase as I'd use it with multiple vehicles.

Also there's a concern of stability due to support being in-board of actual car. The Quickjack and P-6B seem to have an obviously wider base and possibly longer too. Should I have that concern?

I never considered the height advantage and agree why it's necessary for an engine drop. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Another concern- does the lifting surface block the oil tank drain plug access?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
My impression was the cross-bar would hinder any repairs towards the middle of the car. That's an issue that has held me from making the purchase as I'd use it with multiple vehicles.
Here is a mod done for a mid rise.

http://www.rennsportkc.com/modifying...for-a-porsche/
Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

i like this http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/ph...ocument&part=2
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I've got three sets of pad heights, which can give me at least 12" clear under a vehicle and above the crossbars. Maybe a mid-engine car would have trouble on a scissors.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by esses
"Shipping Weight 1,050 LB." Uh huh. If by this point someone doesn't freaking get that this is primarily a trackside unit, I'm out of answers...........

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Not sure. I wouldn't recommend working on the car, other than wheel removal/brake bleeding/rollbar adjustment without dropping it on jackstands.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
I'm surprised people consider scissors lifts when something like this available. I like the very similar P-6B.

At least with the P-6B you're unobstructed in the middle. You could certainly drop an engine and transmission with it.
Each style of lift has their advantages and disadvantages, not just in their use, but in their method of installation.

I eventually went for the unobstructed style by going with the MaxJax, but installation was more involved. Mind you, if I went with a scissors lift, I would want to install it below grade so that it is level with the garage floor.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
If it does, not an issue. I used a Form-A-Funnel. It did the trick. In my case, the lift did not block it, but I could not swing the rocker trim out of the way as I used to do.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Having had a scissors lift for about 10 years, in 3 houses, and used for multiple cars, I can provide my experience and observations, in lieu of speculation. There is no time I've wanted mine in the floor.

I've moved the lift several inches in any given direction, multiple times, depending on project and car. I suppose, one would not need this flexibility, if they had more surrounding space, but then it would seem a full-sized two post would be in order.

Secondly, I've needed maximum height on a couple of occasions, that would have been gone, had it been in a pit.

Then, there's the matter of the hole, if you sell the house....
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting choices, I've been debating the maxjack vs the scissors style lifts. With the maxjack you've got the hassle of bolting and attaching hoses and then undoing all this and moving the posts out of the way. If I wanted to lift the truck up, I'd have to install another set of anchor bolts further apart . On the plus side, the motorcycle lift will be handy, but l don't see me dragging out the post if l want to do a quick oil change . Cant beat the access you have with a 2 post though.

How do you guys find wrenching while seated ? I'm thinking that sitting on a rolling sear while trying to exert some force on stubborn bolts is less than ideal - do you find yourself kneeling a lot?

Has anybody tried out the full size scissors lift
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Hmm, interesting design , I'd feel more comfortable if those poles had a flat base to distribute the load. It would occupy a fair bit of space when not in use
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonnyT
With the maxjack you've got the hassle of bolting and attaching hoses and then undoing all this and moving the posts out of the way.
I installed my MaxJax in December 2012 and more than a year later, I have yet to have to unbolt either of my posts.

I installed the posts more forward in my garage so that when I park further back, the posts do not get in the way, and I have a regular-sized two-car garage. My garage does not have any clutter, so that was possible.

Many owners just remove the post that is in the middle of the garage. The one along the garage wall is usually left in place.

As for the rest, attaching hoses etc. that takes all of two minutes.

If I wanted to lift the truck up, I'd have to install another set of anchor bolts further apart.
If you space the posts accordingly, you will only need to install them in one location.

How do you guys find wrenching while seated ? I'm thinking that sitting on a rolling sear while trying to exert some force on stubborn bolts is less than ideal - do you find yourself kneeling a lot?
Unless it is a full-sized lift that you can stand under, you will either be sitting or kneeling. I have no issues with either when working under the car; I'm not doing this all day long day after day.

Quick Reply: Quickjack