Sponsored by:

Kinematic Lever

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinematic Lever

Hello,I have been reading this forum for a long time ago but I never posted before, so excuse me if I am breaking the forum's rules.
The thing is that I have change the kinematic lever of the clutch pedal mechanism of my 993 C4 due to hang pedal problems. I mean the pedal did not fully returned to the upper position by itself....
I have replaced the lever to the new one (olive color) and now the travel of the pedal is shorter... I mean, I have to push down the pedal clutch right to the floor to disengage and as soon as It return a little It engages very fast and finally it comes back to a lower position than it was before whit the old kinematic lever (the gold one) and that is the end of it's travel so the clutch pedal is not aligned with the brake pedal any more. I would like to have a picture of it right now but I haven't. I will post it later.
Is it normal once you replace the kinematic lever with the new part #?
Any comment is welcome. Thanks all!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Is it possible that the notches of the lever and the shaft are not lined up and therefore the position of the pedal is not right?
I give you some pictures
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Here you have one more picture
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the clutch pedal is not lining up with the brake, it could be that you got a defective clutch lever. I ordered a kinematic lever from Sunset last month and the part they shipped me was actually welded incorrectly. The spline was welded in one notch off, so the pedal would not align with the brake.

They sent a replacement, and all is well!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See yesterday's excellent post on this topic

Notes from a Pedal Assembly Rebuild (Multi-page thread 1 2)

bruce7

Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Sort of off topic, but...

Anyone tried to just remove the kinematic lever?

With a race clutch and the kinematic lever in the pedal assembly, it was nearly impossible to feel/control the clutch. The solution was to simply remove the kinematic lever altogether.

Ive always wondered how a stock clutch would benefit from doing this.... Seems to me it would give better feel albeit with slightly more effort....
Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
If the clutch pedal is not lining up with the brake, it could be that you got a defective clutch lever. I ordered a kinematic lever from Sunset last month and the part they shipped me was actually welded incorrectly. The spline was welded in one notch off, so the pedal would not align with the brake.

Interesting- I ordered mine a few months back and it is still sitting on my desk waiting to be put in. Is there any way to tell if it is from a defective batch just by looking at it?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM
PITBULL964
Track Day

I think mine is defective too. I have ordered a new one, but I am quite sure I have the same problem that you had before. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 AM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Interesting- I ordered mine a few months back and it is still sitting on my desk waiting to be put in. Is there any way to tell if it is from a defective batch just by looking at it?
Here you have a picture of them both. The difference is that the mark is a little rotated.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts

which one is correct?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jscott82,
I have thought the same thing... the lever doesn't really seem necessary. I would be curious to see if someone else has tried just pulling it out.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 AM
lopro
Banned

I have ordered this part an its been sitting on my bench to be done for months. I would like to know more about this aswell - subscribed for info.

Its minus 20 here in northern Ontario so it wont be going on till spring.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Just to be sure the new lever is right I would check the mark is palced at the same point as the old one. Once you have them both in your hands its easy to check. If the mark is a bit rotated them I would suggest to check up first before installing it. Just for not wasiting your time....

Quick Reply: Kinematic Lever