Sponsored by:

OT: Dangerous Problem with 2005 GMC Envoy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts
Default OT: Dangerous Problem with 2005 GMC Envoy

I know this is about as far OT as one can get and still be automotive, but I have a friend who drives a 2005 GMC Envoy that has a seriously dangerous problem whereby at speed, all electricals shut down as if the battery was totally disconnected. This occurs at random intervals, sometimes months apart.

When I say "shut down," this means the engine stops, all exterior lights go out, all interior/dash lights go out, gauges shut down, radio goes off and digital clock goes black...A total loss of juice.

Coast to side of road, put it in park and it starts right up first try. Upon start-up, everything works but the clock is at 12:00 (Again, as if the battery were disconnected).

Technicians (Both factory and indy) cannot find any codes, battery is good, etc. and have been unable to duplicate the issue.

Ignition switch was replaced out of desperation, but the problem continues.

She commutes in Atlanta and is, rightfully, scared to drive the car.

ANY assistance with this will be appreciated (I've also posted this on a GM forum, but traffic there is very slow).

Thanks,
Terry
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the reminder as to why I never buy American cars.

Hope she figures it out; that sounds pretty dreadful...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Thanks for the reminder as to why I never buy American cars.

Hope she figures it out; that sounds pretty dreadful...
Yeah, the research I've done indicates that this particular vintage of GM trucks was/is an electrical nightmare, but the problems I found weren't quite so life threatening...More along the lines of blinking dash displays and door locks not working....This is crazy scary.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Try digging on Edmunds. Lots of unhappy customers. Couldn't find exactly what you describe but similar.

http://www.edmunds.com/gmc/acadia/20...scussions.html

fwiw I drive a Sierra, and it has been flawless in 40,000 miles so there is some hope for GMC?!? btw that was me knocking on wood, no ones at the door...

Scary problem. Hope she can resolve it.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Thanks for the reminder as to why I never buy American cars. Hope she figures it out; that sounds pretty dreadful...
Come on, I got a 1996 Suburban since new. Older than my 993 and 10x the mileage and never had anything go wrong with it. Still use it.

To the OP, I'm sorry I don't have anything to help, sounds like some kind of lemon. Hopefully she can get some video proof or something. I don't think GM wants that kind of publicity. Maybe go to the local news fix it guy. Here in Seattle we have a "Get Jesse" who is a consumer advocate on the local news. Whether this is isolated or a design flaw publicity will get it fixed.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have they tried putting in a different battery? Making sure there is no corrosion on any of the main ground wire terminals and both terminals at the battery? Seems elementary, but corrosion can wreak havoc on an electrical system.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

I'm going to close this thread. If anyone has specific knowledge about this particular issue on the 2004-2006 GMC Envoy, I would appreciate a PM with that information.

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Quick Reply: OT: Dangerous Problem with 2005 GMC Envoy