Sponsored by:

Embrace the G50/20 and G64/21 Gear Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embrace the G50/20 and G64/21 Gear Ratios

It is exciting to read about gear ratios, 3.8L conversions, superchargers etc. but the fact is that most of us will not drop 10-14k on a tranny re-gear or 20k+ on a performance engine. I look at these as possible long term (5-7 year) goals and I love to read about them...but how can we possibly enjoy our flawed 993s in the meantime? Just kidding

As I have read about many times, the G50/20 and G64/30 (in the C4 and C4S) has essentially one major problem: the RPM drop from 1st to second. I will submit to you that if you have a well performing 3.6 (with or without Varioram) -possibly with a chip.. You can enjoy some of the benefits of the taller second gear while you dream of re-gears and trips to 9M. Just rev 1st to 5k-5.5k around town. Once you shift to second around 3.2k you have an amazing power band in a wonderfully tall second gear. Unless you are cruising at 40 or so, no reason to shift to third. RPMs drop below 2000 in 2nd? Match revs at 4k in 1st or if it is a slow city corner, toodle around it at 1500 RPMs in 2nd. Don't accelerate hard if you are at low RPMs in 2nd and there is plenty of torque to push you through. If you want to go faster, downshift to 1st Just in general keep the revs up over 2.5k or 3k.

2nd to 3rd is the perfect rpm drop, as is 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. 6th still works as a downhill or flat gear cruising at 70. All in all, not a bad transmission. Yes I want the slightly shorter 2nd and a nice close 3rd-5th and think it is the #1 performance option (over the high cost of more power) but I can wait... And in the meantime I get a second gear that goes far over the highway speed limit. My car in second from 4.5k to 6.5k is a monster. So fun!

I look forward to looking back on this thread in 10 years with a full RS clone and laughing at what I don't know now.

Your thoughts and long term goals are appreciated.

Mike
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post and right on...embrace the perceived negative of our cars by taking the long view to see the much broader group of positives. Isn't that part of the reason to we bought them?... The classic analog driving experience that forces us to think a little bit to get the most fun and enjoyment out of it?

My sole addition to this perspective that can make the fun process of learning to properly drive and enjoy these cars would the relatively (certainly cheap in comparison to a re-gear) inexpensive upgrade to the FDM SSK/GR upgrade and possibly WEVOs or similar to really elevate the fun factor while figuring out how to drive these fun little cars.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
Great post and right on...embrace the perceived negative of our cars by taking the long view to see the much broader group of positives. Isn't that part of the reason to we bought them?... The classic analog driving experience that forces us to think a little bit to get the most fun and enjoyment out of it? My sole addition to this perspective that can make the fun process of learning to properly drive and enjoy these cars would the relatively (certainly cheap in comparison to a re-gear) inexpensive upgrade to the FDM SSK/GR upgrade and possibly WEVOs or similar to really elevate the fun factor while figuring out how to drive these fun little cars.
Great post! I have been thinking about getting new motor mounts and transmission support (maybe a golden rod). Love the analog analogy! I feel the same way.

Oh and I forgot to include a picture in this thread so here you go.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! To offer some more perspective and not to hijack this thread...I rented a Camaro SS today. Now granted its a rental, but its absolutely shocking to me how poorly designed,built,and executed the car is. Yes it's fast, it stops, well, and it handles pretty well, but the road noise (worse than my CAB), the interior materials, the too-high shifter and other poor ergonomics, the too-slow reacting transmission,etc, etc, makes me appreciate the simple, well-built, and purposeful 993- it's not perfect by any means, but for a largely unchanged 40+ yr old design, it's pretty damn good, despite the US gearbox!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The complaints you cite about the /20 (RPM drop from 1st to 2nd, tall 2nd) are pretty far down on the list of complaints about the ratios in this box. It's the 3/4/5 stack that's the problem, not 1st and 2nd.

Also, the /20 2nd gear is actually a little bit shorter than the RS 2nd, not taller.

No offense, but I give this thread a grade of F for fail.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

no n/a stock motor 993 is a monster at any speed in any gear.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I waited patiently for nearly a decade before I could afford (a relative term) to properly regear mine. The transformation is dramatic to say the least. I couldn't be happier. Quad is right BUT while no monster per se my 993 as configured running a 100 Octane map will out accelerate my V8 440hp M3. Getting to and at speed the raucous and visceral experience of the 993 is just glorious.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by NP993
The complaints you cite about the /20 (RPM drop from 1st to 2nd, tall 2nd) are pretty far down on the list of complaints about the ratios in this box. It's the 3/4/5 stack that's the problem, not 1st and 2nd. Also, the /20 2nd gear is actually a little bit shorter than the RS 2nd, not taller. No offense, but I give this thread a grade of F for fail.
That is good to know, can you elaborate more on why 3/4/5 stack is not great? I am obviously no expert, just been reading about gearing and think it is an interesting topic.

I don't think it is an "F" if it sparks an interesting discussion, but thanks anyway.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no n/a stock motor 993 is a monster at any speed in any gear.
"Monster" is an incorrect characterization, yes.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
I waited patiently for nearly a decade before I could afford (a relative term) to properly regear mine. The transformation is dramatic to say the least. I couldn't be happier. Quad is right BUT while no monster per se my 993 as configured running a 100 Octane map will out accelerate my V8 440hp M3. Getting to and at speed the raucous and visceral experience of the 993 is just glorious.
That sounds super fun! As I said, it is a long term goal for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

This thread does not deliver....

Quick Reply: Embrace the G50/20 and G64/21 Gear Ratios