Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 993 with previous body work. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Buying a 993 with previous body work. Advice?

I'm thinking of buying a '96 and just found out it has had some body work done to a rear quarter panel. The seller (a dealer) is playing dumb. The inspector says he measured greater paint thickness in the damaged area, then couldn't get a reading in one area (indicating body filler?). He says the work was well done, though.

I'll have a race shop check the body squareness with their fancy new 3D geometry machine. Other than the basic rack-inspection, is there anything else I should check out during the PPI? Apparently the frame shows no signs of major damage (like vice marks from being pulled back into shape).

Some of you might say "Run away!" but if it's priced a couple thousand $ below a "virgin" price, then isn't that fair enough?

Thanks all!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:32 PM
96P993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say to take the PPI on step further..take this car to a very very reputable bodyshop that works on high line autos..speak with them and see what they have to say..Who knows better how a car is repaired then someone who does it day after day...Even this isnt fullproof but it will give you some piece of mind....
Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 PM
DrZ
Racer

I wholeheartedly concur, when I first had my car a mechanic and body guy had a complete opposite assessment of the body and paint. Even though the body shop had the car for less time, his explanation and demonstration to me convinced me that he was correct.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:57 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,

It's priced a couple thousand $ below a "virgin" price, then isn't that fair enough?
No way!

If you are spending $40k for a used car then another 5% or so is more than worth it to get a car without previous damage and paint work.

Rich (aka Rich '95 993)
Old 07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
96P993
Pro

I think it hard to say whether or not it is worth without having a better idea of the money situation...My concern would not be the paint issue, my concern would be the body filler problem..How big was the spot? How well was it done? This could be a simple bump or something major..Do your homework and you will be fine..
Old 07-22-2003, 07:12 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

ok, I'll definitely be sure to get an understanding of the extent of the repair. I mean, if it's a 4" gouge, that's much different than the whole quarter panel being bashed in and hammered out. Maybe I'll redo the paint-thickness test and we can figure it out.

Rich- so if I offered you $2,000 plus a free repair in exchange for the right to hit your fender with a bat you wouldn't take it? How much would it take? Just food for thought.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:22 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not really think this situation is necessarily all bad. What you should do is get the car up on a lift and look at the rear suspension yourself. See if there are leaks, or changed components down low. A high hit is not going to mean important stuff like frames and suspenion parts are replaced. A roll over, is going to have more of a chance of more important damage and it should show. Next, you should look at the paint yourself. Hopefully, the repair is worthy of a high end car. If these pass YOUR inspection, then take it for further opinions. I have to be happy first, the shop is second. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Apparently one of the valve covers is leaking some oil. I would have thought they would have taken care of this issue by 1996. I'd think it unlikely that this could have any relationship to the bodywork.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:57 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

since there is evidence of filler, this may indicate the quarter panel is original. I would get some more opinions from high-end body shops.

It is after all a huge negotiating factor....
Old 07-22-2003, 09:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on the extent of the damage...if the fender was repainted because it was keyed or if there was a minor fender bender I would be OK with it as long as the repair was top notch.

I would also prefer an original fender that was expertly repaired and repainted, then one that was replaced entirely.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:51 AM
noony
Racer

I agree with most of what has been said here. Major damage over here lowers the price by about £10k on 993s ($15k?). However, our 993 had a ~4" dent which was repaired by a porsche bodyshop, and it only lowered the value of the car by about £1k. When you tell us the extent of the damage we can give you a more accurate description of what you should do.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

As stated above, while the car is up on the lift have the suspension and exhaust checked out. Things are kind of tight in there.

Quick Reply: Buying a 993 with previous body work. Advice?