Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1996,911 TARGA FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as my condition and the weather improves I will remove the sheepskins so that no one will think I am trying to hide anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 AM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys, I am getting a lot of calls on my car. A lot are just kicking the can down the road and most are looking to get a car for real cheap. A particular person wants a test ride with me in the car. I can handle that security wise but I am just not real keen on letting someone else drive my car. Give me your best advice. What would you do or how would you handle it? I am a licensed conceal carry ,but that is not all that is required for security. I can also have a chase car follow me.

I may drive the car or meet at the Porsche dealer because I dont know if it is not a sham or someone intentionally trying to break my car. Some idiot may not understand how to properly drive a 993 and tear up a tranny.

Am I being paranoid? Again, how would you handle it??? MANY THANKS. AKTUNG

Last edited by AKTUNG; 01-08-2014 at 01:55 AM. Reason: explain
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

If you are not comfortable meet them at the dealer , drive the car first with him/her in the car, tell them that the way you are driving the car is the same way you want them to drive it, also make a copy of there license and there ins card .
GLWS
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree with Opo's thoughts.

Unfortunately, there are some risks to selling a car privately. You mentioned the physical security issues and you can mitigate but not eliminate all of them.

Also need to consider how to manage the monetary settlement. Cash is king. Cashier checks, wire transfers, and bank checks can be scammed.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I offer this in addition to all the sound advice thus far... I have had good luck "weeding" out the shoppers by negotiating the sale price prior to test drives. Of course, the price is based on a solid PPI and a satisfactory test drive by the buyer or his agent.
It may not eliminate all the shoppers but, it may.
Also, I suggest reaching out to the local PCA region for some assistance with the seat covers and picture taking/publishing. I suspect there are a number of folks local to you that would be eager to help.
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

Gary
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 484 Posts

When I was selling my C2 a nice fellow came and looked at it and I thought, what the hell, I'll let him drive it. My son was in the backseat as my wife wasn't home and the jerk drove it like a total A-hole! I finally told him to pull over and get out!!! Never will anyone else drive my car before cash is in hand. I'll take them out, but that is it.

As far as the security thing goes, I have never given that much thought until recently. We had a young man in our area kidnapped and murdered in the fall while someone was test driving his pick-up truck. I never would have thought that that would happen in our area.

Be cautious, but not paranoid and take someone along with you for a witness. Best of luck!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
Hey Guys, I am getting a lot of calls on my car. A lot are just kicking the can down the road and most are looking to get a car for real cheap. A particular person wants a test ride with me in the car. I can handle that security wise but I am just not real keen on letting someone else drive my car. Give me your best advice. What would you do or how would you handle it? I am a licensed conceal carry ,but that is not all that is required for security. I can also have a chase car follow me.

I may drive the car or meet at the Porsche dealer because I dont know if it is not a sham or someone intentionally trying to break my car. Some idiot may not understand how to properly drive a 993 and tear up a tranny.

Am I being paranoid? Again, how would you handle it??? MANY THANKS. AKTUNG
I don't think it's unreasonable for a buyer to want to test drive any car, let alone a Porsche 993. Conversely, IMHO, it's unreasonable to not let a buyer drive your car. Would you buy a car or pay $300 for a PPI just on the word of the seller that "it drives nice"? (Not that you said this.) If a seller said I couldn't drive his 993, I'd move on to a more understanding seller.

When selling a car, I set forth rules before any test drive and tell buyers that if their driving scares me, the test drive is over immediately. I always set expectations that I don't mind if they drive briskly but that they must be in complete control and show great competency, regardless of the speed.

It's your car, so command the situation. Don't be afraid to be blunt and don't be afraid to hurt someone's feelings by telling them to pull over. That you have a CCW is even more influence in the very unlikely event that a buyer refuses to relinquish control of the car and abide by your wishes.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Smile

Opo,Onami,gr1275,MJs Porsche and Mark. Thank you so much guys. This is all great information and I welcome any additional advice by anyone in the Rennlist community. Thanks so much for all the support and well wishes.

I am very torn about selling but I have no reason to believe that a manual 993 is in my future with the issues I have developed. But you never know, God still is in the miracle business, so who knows.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I would suggest if you don't know anything about the potential buyer to ask him/her for a letter from their bank saying they have the funds available to make the purchase. That will separate the men from the boys, and for anyone of means a simple phone call is all it would take.

BTW, I love my sheepskin covers in my DD. Especially in the cold weather we have been having lately.

Keep the faith, and best of luck to you and yours . . . .

Regards,

Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Cemoto
I would suggest if you don't know anything about the potential buyer to ask him/her for a letter from their bank saying they have the funds available to make the purchase. That will separate the men from the boys, and for anyone of means a simple phone call is all it would take.

BTW, I love my sheepskin covers in my DD. Especially in the cold weather we have been having lately.

Regards,

Thank you so much. I will tell you that I am overjoyed with the assistance you and others have provided.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 AM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Cemoto

Regards,

Thanks so much and one up for the sheepskins!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Talking

Just so you guys know,as previously stated I have been getting a lot of calls on my car and almost all of the callers believe the car should go for 37-39K. Of course I tell them nicely to let me know where I can get one with mileage like mine and I would buy it myself in spite of the fact that I am selling rather than buying for now.

At first I wondered if I was asking too much but then I thought, these potential buyers must really not understand the 993 market or just simply are not willing to spend the money.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My Targa is listed in the for sale area here by the way. I took it out for about 45 minutes a week ago which is then 5 weeks after my back surgery. The car ran great and I felt great until about 15 minutes after I got out. Talk about soreness and pain. So be careful .I am pretty convinced I will no longer be able to drive the car for any extended period of time.

If you are not using the sit down technique and then swinging your legs in, please start. My neuro surgeon says that sticking the right leg in first is very bad for the back regardless of size or height.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 AM
skay
Rennlist Member

Best wishes for a sustained and relatively pain-free recovery. I second what your doctor is recommending as I too was given the same advice by both of my doc & chiro.

Best of luck with finding someone deserving of such an awesome car.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
Just so you guys know,as previously stated I have been getting a lot of calls on my car and almost all of the callers believe the car should go for 37-39K. Of course I tell them nicely to let me know where I can get one with mileage like mine and I would buy it myself in spite of the fact that I am selling rather than buying for now.

At first I wondered if I was asking too much but then I thought, these potential buyers must really not understand the 993 market or just simply are not willing to spend the money.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My Targa is listed in the for sale area here by the way. I took it out for about 45 minutes a week ago which is then 5 weeks after my back surgery. The car ran great and I felt great until about 15 minutes after I got out. Talk about soreness and pain. So be careful .I am pretty convinced I will no longer be able to drive the car for any extended period of time.

If you are not using the sit down technique and then swinging your legs in, please start. My neuro surgeon says that sticking the right leg in first is very bad for the back regardless of size or height.
The market will signal to you what is a fair price. If you are patient, and under no pressure to sell, continue with your asking price. Someone may be willing to pay your price if your car "speaks" to them. If you want it sold in then 30 days, you need to listen to what some potential buyers are telling you.

Good luck with the sale.....and most importantly, with your recovery.

Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skay
Best wishes for a sustained and relatively pain-free recovery. I second what your doctor is recommending as I too was given the same advice by both of my doc & chiro.

Best of luck with finding someone deserving of such an awesome car.
Thank you Skay. Nothing like well wishes and confirmations from across the pond.

Quick Reply: 1996,911 TARGA FOR SALE