Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which specific Benjamin Moore color to paint garage to set off 993?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Update and Q about cheap floor options: Which paint for garage to set off 993?!

The day has come. The garage is going to be repainted tomorrow and I'm tossed about which SPECIFIC color on the Benjamin Moore paintwheel to paint the car that it will most gloriously set off my "new" 96 Polar Silver C4S! I know this is a mundane, trite subject, but this post can die a quick death if I just get an immediate opinion on color! The garage is painted light grey with a blue tinge now, and it's 16 year old paint and looking BAD. Should I go with light grey again? Maybe an even lighter grey might look nice... In an earlier post this year I think it's been said that off white is too "dirt showing".

My wife is like: "whatEVER". She is wondering why I'm spending money painting the lowly garage. Heck, her Jag's out there too in that dumpy looking garage and it needs a prettier place to reside! Some women just don't get it. It's my freaking sanctuary (as Brad calls it on his fantastic C4S website).

Anyone familiar with an exact color from the Benjamin Moore color wheel?
Thanks!!!

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-23-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:17 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I used a burgundy with natural wood walls and a black garage mat - looks great with Artic Silver.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Don.

That's funny. My wife just came in the room and said - you're not going to paint it red are you?!

I guess she DOES care, somewhat. I think she's thinking some neutral tone. Our door to the inside from the garage is already bright Chinese red like our front door (Grey Victorian, beige trim, dark grey front porch, medium grey-blue shutters/bright red front door).

Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 05:41 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife said the same thing.....so I painted it red anyway and now she loves it.

It hides a lot of dirt and offsets the lighter car.

Doug
Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve-

The entire exterior and interior of our house is painted in a myriad of Benj. Moore colors. As for a garage, I would fear that a darker color would make the space feel a little cramped. Besides, most garages let limited amounts of light in, so the space may feel dark as well.

Our garage is painted in Benj. Moore white dove. Although tought to keep clean, the garage looks crisp and bright. It's definitely lighter than the direction you may want to go, but check it out.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason! I just looked at white dove and it looks almost white! I realized the color we have now is a medium to light grey. I love the color Metallic Silver (the Benjamin Moore paint color AND my car color )). I finally dragged the wife out into the garage and showed her the colors and NOW she's "into it" a bit more. She thought white dove looked nice but thought it would be tough to keep it from looking dirty.

Don, although the burgundy sounds nice for your application, in our garage I think it would be just too intense, and make the garage look alot smaller!

We do have 3 rather large windows in the garage and the garage doors have windows in them so light isn't a problem. But Don, we have no dramatic wood accents like you do, so burgundy won't work. I'd love to see a pic of that burgundy garage with your car in there.

Steve
Old 07-22-2003, 06:21 AM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

hey Bubba steeveareeno,

dere be onlee wun choises fer yall kar an dat be beniman more French Graye. dat be perfeck fer yall.

Yur Fren,
JimBob
Old 07-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to ask - paint it pink.

Mine is white, and I think it helps with increasing the lighting effect whenever I'm working on the car.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:31 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Don lives 6 miles down the road - I am Doug. He is my evil twin that sold his 993 and bought a water-pumper.

(grin)

Doug
Old 07-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Cool, my first flame. I'm glad it came from you Ray - pink is the perfect color to suggest for a "flame". As to the white you suggested, my wife thinks it might get dirty fastest. Now all of a sudden she's into the decision making process. I even read her your posts - something she could normally care less about. She now likes Misty grey or "Marilyn's Dress" grey (darker light grey than Misty Grey). I'm leaning toward's "Marilyn's Dress" as it reminds me of my favorite movie moment in "The Seven Year Itch" when Marilyn's dress goes up on the heating grate. )

And Jim Bob, thanks for your suggestion of French Grey - but it's not listed in our Benjamin Moore color wheel. Maybe it was your thick dialect as I'm not hearing you well.

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-22-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Whoops - wrong link, above....

"Marilyn's Dress" = Perfect color for the garage & a Benjamin Moore color...
Marilyn's Dress = http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheS...rItch-1018644/

I have wayyyy too much time on my hands today.
Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-22-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:23 AM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Nope, bubba Stev - dat be 'French Gaye'. Ol' bubba ray dun had a reel gud ideer, tho. I iz un injuneer, not no fansie-panz inteerur dezinur.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:25 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

When I painted my garage I just went to the paint store and picked 2 colors that look good. I used semi gloss and it still looks great after 10 years. My other cars are silver and they look good in the garage with this color combo. Good Luck.

Rich (aka Rich '95 993)
Old 07-22-2003, 09:38 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, i posed your question to two of my friends
Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman. They agreed
with me that any sort of Navy Blue would really
enhance any silver car. In fact we suggest you
carry it a bit further and put the same navy blue
color in a star on your C4S hood. It would look
fabulous!
OG
Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Tough decision, Steve. But whatever it is, we better get pictures!

Quick Reply: Which specific Benjamin Moore color to paint garage to set off 993?!