Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting my 1996 C4S up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 571 Posts

After reading through the OP's previous posts, it would appear that he bought the car as is and that is why he doesn't have access to the original parts. I think the $54K paid was a fair price and should be one that he can easily get for the car as is....or spend a few bucks and take it back to stock (while selling off the other parts) and come out ahead!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
When I bought the car my major concern was condition and mileage; paint, interior, and mechanicals. This car is outstanding in all three. Second the new parts are all high quality; leather GT3 seats, forged HRE wheels, etc.
i have to agree, i think my main concern would be mileage, overall condition and mechanicals. i guess you could say that the car would sell easier if the wheels were stock and the decklid was stock, but there are those that would consider the HREs a plus and potentially like the turbo decklid. if it's not an easy transition (back to stock), i would just leave it on the market like this. personally, i would find the HREs a plus and know that i could swap them for twists without issue. if the stock decklid is not available, that would be a slightly bigger issue, but something that could be corrected. i actually bought my car with the turbo wing with the stock decklid included. i now prefer the look of the turbo lid and will not be changing it back, but i still have the original. a counterpoint would also be the responses i got when i was selling my 997S earlier this year with HREs on the car. some people loved the wheels, but i got many replies from people asking to buy it with the stock lobsters. i thought the HREs looked awesome on the car. i guess some are turned off by the high polish on Rick's HREs, but these are high quality rims and i do not see them as a deterrent. i was also in the same exact situation - putting the car back to stock or selling as is - and i opted to leave it as is and sell. the car will bring what the car will bring, but i don't see anything that can't be reverted back to stock in the long run.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Exactly my thoughts...I remember you posting the purchase details and thinking that for $54K, the car was very fairly priced. While the options/work may be worth $6K, I prefer stock cars...so one less buyer than there would have been if the changes wouldn't have been made.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused...did you mod the car or are you saying that you were planning to un-mod the car?
After reading through the OP's previous posts, it would appear that he bought the car as is and that is why he doesn't have access to the original parts. I think the $54K paid was a fair price and should be one that he can easily get for the car as is....or spend a few bucks and take it back to stock (while selling off the other parts) and come out ahead!
Onami - what's your purpose here...?

Your posts seem to be aimed at discrediting the OP's asking price?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 571 Posts

This discussion (this is the forum for discussing posts, not the for sale section of the site) has centered around the value of the car with the mods made. The seller's original comments stated that "he" had the mods done to the car. So, given what he paid, it made sense that he would like to recoup those costs and would need to get $60K to make himself whole again. However, after reading some of his recent comments, I went back to his old posts and it appears that he bought the car as is just a month or two ago. Therefore, I would think he would be happy to simply get what he paid for the car and the comments on the value of the car with mods etc. is really a mute point.

Many here including myself have made suggestions on how he might maximize his selling price and I'll bet some were doing so like I was because they thought he was just trying to recoup his costs. However, it appears that he may be trying to profit - which certainly is his prerogative. I just don't feel as motivated to help when that is the case.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd say the pool of people wanting to drop $60k on a 30k 4S with the mods noted, is pretty shallow. Such individuals will be looking for originality, IMO. Not everyone wants to run out and make these mods.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

This discussion (this is the forum for discussing posts, not the for sale section of the site) has centered around the value of the car with the mods made. The seller's original comments stated that "he" had the mods done to the car. So, given what he paid, it made sense that he would like to recoup those costs and would need to get $60K to make himself whole again. However, after reading some of his recent comments, I went back to his old posts and it appears that he bought the car as is just a month or two ago. Therefore, I would think he would be happy to simply get what he paid for the car and the comments on the value of the car with mods etc. is really a mute point.

Many here including myself have made suggestions on how he might maximize his selling price and I'll bet some were doing so like I was because they thought he was just trying to recoup his costs. However, it appears that he may be trying to profit - which certainly is his prerogative. I just don't feel as motivated to help when that is the case.
Thanks Onami - you answered my question.

OP - GLWS!

It's a nice car with some great and very rare options.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unsolicited advice is criticism. Doesn't matter what forum.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is sold.

FWIW the market is very strong for these cars. So you should feel good if you have one. Within a day I had buyers four deep on the car, despite the mods that as many correctly pointed out decreased the value.

The car went to a collector. If you are a private buyer I would suggest you need to move fast if you see a car you like. Dealers and collectors know exactly what they want, are not asking for PPI's, and come cash in hand ready to close the transaction.

I learned a lot on this board. Thank you. I only wish I had some extra garage space so I could have kept the car.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on the sale! The WB cars are getting tough to find, especially with low miles.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

RICKDM, I became the proud owner of a 1996 C4S in Arena red last month. I LOVE the car. mine has almost no mods other than stereo and I would have looked at your car mods included. Most new buyers I feel, are looking for mechanical performance, interior and exterior fit, finish. Mods, if documented go either way. The car I bought had multiple buyers awaiting my decision- I just got there first, PPI'd the car and had it shipped. I never drove the car prior to buying- and I am not a collector- just know the market for accurately priced C4S's is VERY VERY strong. Sad to see you sell it, but glad that people are willing to part with them, as I have wanted one since I sold my 85 Targa in 2002.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Jeff U
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I hope I don't regret selling it, …
You will

...but I don't have a garage to put it in and I can't stand to leave a car this nice parked in the driveway….
You should have moved.

Easier to find a garage than a low mileage 993

Congrats on the sale
Old 12-13-2013, 12:57 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 644 Posts

not surprised that moved as fast as it did - low mileage and condition bring money. congrats on selling quickly.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Unsolicited advice is criticism. Doesn't matter what forum.
+993
The car is sold.

FWIW the market is very strong for these cars. So you should feel good if you have one. Within a day I had buyers four deep on the car, despite the mods that as many correctly pointed out decreased the value.

The car went to a collector. If you are a private buyer I would suggest you need to move fast if you see a car you like. Dealers and collectors know exactly what they want, are not asking for PPI's, and come cash in hand ready to close the transaction.

I learned a lot on this board. Thank you. I only wish I had some extra garage space so I could have kept the car.
Congrats!....
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its those damn hips and low mileage buyers can't resist. Congrats on the sale, didn't think it would last.

T

Quick Reply: Putting my 1996 C4S up for sale