Do You Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Stereo?

Well guys,
After two months of reading, asking, getting the answers and putting them into one meaningfully info I finally built my stereo setup for the car. It is Butler Tube driver amplifier (4 channels by 75 Watts). Two channels are feeding the door speakers which are two-way component Dynaudio System 220 with 7 " drivers. The speakers were installed into
factory door enclosures ( Hi-Fi) package.
Two other channels of amplifier were bridged to feed one 12" Dynaudio MW 190 sub-woofer wich is residing ontop of unfolded down back seat...behind the driver seat.
The installation was done by Custom Exotica car stereo shop. $300 for that.
Left car by 10am - took it back at 4:00 pm. Turned the music ON and...
it is best sound quality I ever heard. I do not exaggerate things. It is just amazing amazing amazing.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sputnick,

How did you mount the woofers? Did you mount them in the plastic housing that held the original speakers or build something up?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 PM
Sputnik
Racer

I think they were just screwed to the factory grills.
The factory plastic panels with the speakers (still in those panels) are in my closet now.
For $300 which installers charged me I don't think they built any custom speaker enclosures. I guess that without the enclosures in the doors the sound looses some bass range which are being produced by System 240 7" woofers. But 12" sub-woofer on rear seat takes care about lost bass range.
As a test I disconnected the sub-woofer to check the sound coming from door speakers only (system 240). They sounded clear and loud. But there was no low bass in it. Kinda similar to Nokia Hi-Fi ones...only clearer and louder.
I would say that comparing "before and after the upgrade" the subwoofer makes 80% of difference.
It seems that if I would just replace Nokia door speakers to Dynaudio System 240 (removing the factory plastic panel and NOT building the custom one) there would be no difference at all. May be just a little.
I do agree that there are a lot that could be done to improve what I have now. But I am really happy with the difference the new system did. It sounds really good to me (both quality and power wise). And whole setup cost me about 1000-1100 dollars. Which is not bad comparing to what you have to spend to get "most of it".
Old 07-21-2003, 01:54 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I have Naka MD75 main unit, Dynaudio 2-way system in the doors, SW and 6 ch Signat A-class amp. I dont use rear speakers at all. Two channels are bridged and feeding SW. Four channels feed Dynaudios bi-amped. Tweeters and woofers have separate isolated channels. If I had to improve my system, I'd like to add center channel as left and right channels are too apart and stereo imaging is has sometimes hole in the center.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Sputnik,
Any pics of the 12" sub enclosure? I am going to attempt to make my own fiberglass sub box to fit in the rear seat for a 10". Something similar to Officemanager's (if you have seen pics). Also, are you using the factory head unit? That is one item I have not decided on...

Steve
97 993 TT
Soon to have Boston Z6, Pro 4.5, 10" sub, powered by JL 500/5.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Sputnik
Racer

I keep the stock Alpine 7807 head unit for now...but already started to think to replace it by something newer and sexier.
After keeping that 12" enclosure in the back of the car I thought it is way too big...occupies too much of valuable space. So I went to local hifi store (Good Guys) and bought from them JBL 10" subwoofer at JBL factory enclosure. It wasn't chip (around $400) but the quality is good and the look of it is pretty nice...plus it is much smaller then 12" sub enclosure.
Because my car is not a cab I can unfold the rear seat to place the sub on it. It takes only one rear seat to place the sub. The another one still can be used by my kid.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:36 AM
ammo_collector
Instructor

Default Or you can have both your rear seats...

with these enclosures:

Specs on my system:
- pair of 8" Focal 21V2 subs (5" depth) and the box has about .6 cubic feet. They are made of an MDF frame and fiberglass wrapped in black vinyl. Back seats still usable and front seats can move all the way back.
- Alpine 9815 CD player
- McIntosh MC440M 6-channel amp in a custom rack in the front trunk
- Focal Utopia 165W in the front doors bi-amped
- Focal 100 V2 4" components in the rear deck driven by the Alpine

Quick Reply: Do You Stereo?