993 bra vs. clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 bra vs. clear bra

I've had some re-painting, and I'm thinking of a ClearBra. However it is $1000 for the 18 inch high version (part of hood and quarters, plus full bumper and mirror) and $1400 for the entire hood and entire quarters. Does anyone have opinions of the two options?

I have to relocate the car to Spokane soon and it was just painted, so I can't do the ClearBra right away. They say to wait a month or more. Does anyone have a fabric bra (old) for sale?

Mike Lincoln
Salt Lake City (for now)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a clear bra on another car. I had it put on when the car was new. Although it did the job of protecting the paint, what do you do when you get nicks and cuts in the clear bra? Quite expensive to replace it but it looks crappy if you don't. The Colgan bra works well but is a bit of a pain to deal with. Anytime you are driving in the rain, it gets wet and dirt and grit will get on the underside of the bra. You have to remove it and wash it before you can put in back on the car, or just hang it up to dry and then brush the inside to remove the dirt and grit. A bit of a pain when you are on a road trip. I've had my car since new, and I've had it painted twice. I've purchased at least two of the Colgan bras. I use them for a while but after a while I don't bother with it. I can live with the chips that I pick up. The car still looks great. I don't see any change in performance with the chips and when I'm in the car driving, I can't tell the difference. After all, it's a car - drive it.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been running clear bra on Porsches and Audis since 2002. Great results for me. Every few years the front bumper gets removed and replaced. Same with the rear fender pieces.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed Lingerie Works great, looks good, fits nice.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the clear paint protection on my latest cars with no issues. Yes, the material will scar with stone hits but it washes and polishes or buffs out nicely. I had the fabric clip on bras in the late 80s and no matter how tight you pulled the material, the flutter of the wind will put the smallest scratches into the paint, that along with living in an area with rain and high humidity, you had to take it off to dry out to not trap moisture between the vinyl and the paint.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Why spend $1000 on clear bra, when respray is 500 bux. The chips are not that noticeable but the clear bra is something you notice every time.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

In my neck of woods a front end respray would far exceed $500. Plus I'm not a big fan of constantly re-spraying the front end, I would think after 3-4 resprays the cost to sand down to bare metal prep etc would be up there.

For a few hundred more, def get the full hood + fenders protection, you will not even notice a bra is there unless you stare hard at it. But make sure who ever is doing it is experienced with 993s, since the front fenders, due to the curvature around the headlights are quite tricky to wrap 100% perfect!

Correct a clear bra won't stop a huge rocks from damaging the paint, but I have found for general highway driving it will def prevent that peppered look you get on dark color cars, esp with our front bumpers being so low. If you drive with some caution, the clear bra will stay looking good for many years.

I've been impressed with mine and before proceeding I was really on the fence about doing it. The flip side is I'm still ? how removal will be say 5 years from now, you hear these stories about paint peeling if not factory or cheap paint/poorly prepped during the re-spray process.

Here is a good video!

Quick Reply: 993 bra vs. clear bra