Stone guard removal mess!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Stone guard removal mess!!

Damn.

I read all the threads on the replacement of these guards including one guys disaster. However being optomistic, I thought i will get one that just peels right off. Man was I wrong. I regretted the decision to tackle this after the first hour in to it when I had removed about 2 sq inches!!

I heated the car (hair dryer and then a propane salamander), used Goo Gone, 3M adhesive remover, acetone, nail polish remover, mineral spirits, plastic scrapers etc. You name it, I used it and nothing worked. I finally used a super glue remover and on one side it took off a bit of glue but it took the paint with it..... I mean nothing was getting this off it it seemed like the glue had bonded to the paint

It appears that at least one of these is the original and it looks like there was a repaint on one side as the little i got off has a ridge around it remaining on the car ie someone just taped off the guard before they resprayed on side

Anyways I gave up after about 20 hours. Once some of the paint came off it was game over. Taking it to a professional. Worst case is both Q panels will need a respray. What a PITA

Just a cautionary tale as I had to laugh when I read some other threads about "oh yeah it just peeled right off"
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o gees...these was on my list of projects to do...i feel ya...
Lemon
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

STEAM STEAM STEAM IT OFF !!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh no... sorry to hear this

In my experience, even the toughest glue will come loose with 3M adhesive remover.
On the worst ones it need to soak a bit before it softens. Over and over again. And it is takes forever.

The passenger side is normally the worst. This is the side wehre the oil tank and lines are. The glue gets baked on a regular basis...
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM
vern1
Drifting

i Tried 3M, soaking etc. Just couldnt get there. Also I dont see how steam would do it either as the caustic chemical wouldnt and it was blasted with heat from the salamandar ie too hot to touch without gloves. And yes the passenger side was even worse (even put my car up on the wall to see if that would work )

Regardless nothing worked for me and thats life. The rest of the car is flawless as I spent the whole winter doing a 3 stage polish correction and then sealant. So looks pretty funny with the gleaming paint everywhere and that mess for the stoneguards. In to the bodyshop next week.

I will say that even though I purchased new guards for my 997 as well, I am seriously doubting I am going to tackle that in the near term either.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow. I'm really sorry to read this!!! My tired OG Polar Silver guards are looking a lot nicer than they did 5 minutes ago. Good luck fixing this!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

You could install black ones......
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cemoto
You could install black ones......
True but would prob still have to at least get all the old one off to avoid an uneven surface. I thnk the black ones are flat black and I am not sure that would look good against the glossy black paint...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one easy one and one that was a pig also. The issue is that none of the remedies mentioned will do anything to help the removal of the material itself - the glue residue that's left when you do get it off is easily removed with any number of goo-gones, 3M etc. If the plastic itself doesn't want to come off in large sheets, then that is where your problem lies. I found a hairdryer and a plastic blade helped best, but even so it was painfully slow progress.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

All....the best way to remove the Stoneguards is with a clothes steamer. Don't hold the steamer too closely that it melts the film! You just want to loosen the glue. My friend Kyle at KI Studios has a great YouTube video on this.

Keep in mind that I sell the 8mil and 12mil Stoneguards out of 3M paint protection film. I send removal and install instructions with the order. A squeegee is also included. I have 924/944, 993, 996, and 997 available!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to see that man. I don't have stone guards on my cab, and after seen this post, i know I never will put them on. I'm sure a good shop will get it all fixed up for you without respray.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
rfemovich
Track Day

Add Title
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

^ lol
Sorry to hear but it seems a respray might be in order. Good luck though
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one clear stone guard that had a crack in it when I bought the vehicle. Your living through my nightmare. I decided to take it to a very talented painter (www.zeroto60garage.com) and the end result turned out fantastic. Hopefully, you'll have the same results.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Sorry to see that man. I don't have stone guards on my cab, and after seen this post, i know I never will put them on. I'm sure a good shop will get it all fixed up for you without respray.
From what I've heard, the clear ones ie your second ones ( as the originals were black or color coded) come off easier is that not the case?

I have one black and one clear and 2 new clear ones 'waiting' in the garage. I guess a PO did one and said f- that! And left the other one black.

Lucky for me the black on is on the drivers side

I tried them both and it appears my clear is going to come of easy. The first two iches did anyway...

Quick Reply: Stone guard removal mess!!