Sponsored by:

HELP: first issue with the 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 AM
skim
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HELP: first issue with the 993

I have had my car for about a year and half, put about 10k miles, 2 engine (M1 15W-50) and tranny oil changes. It rained a lot today.

Tonight after work, I fired up the car and drove out of the work parking lot just like every other night. At the first stop, the engine would idle rough. I didn't think much of it. Then with every shift, the initial 1 sec of gas after a gear change, the engine RPM would not respond and it'd catch it, thus jerking the car. Soon I started smelling burning (it was more like egg rotting smell). The car would not die at the light, but I stalled it about twice since regular amount of gas would not be enough. It'd really feel like losing power, then it'd go like how I know it would (felt more like I had a turbo car, ie, turbo lag).
I pulled over to a nearby mall and when I opened up the engine lid, I didn't smell any of the burning smell. The smell is all inside the cabin.

Did anyone else experience this? My search didn't turn up any.
Is the clutch going out? I took a vid, but you won't be able to tell as I can't tell much from the vid, but in person it's pretty noticeable.

I decided to drive around the parking lot and the issue seemed to be better so I decided to drive it more and I got home safely without seeing the same issue (may be due to all highway after that).

Please help me if anything jumps out at you..

Thank you..
Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 AM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usual course if action is to check if any fault codes are thrown. If you take it to an Autozone or similar place they will do it for free by plugging in an OBD scan tool

The electronics will catch engine misfire and narrow down the troubleshooting

Was the check engine light on?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:34 AM
jerbroo
Instructor

Hi, I'm actually new to this forum and I wont take delivery of my 993 until next month.

However, I do have significant experience to point you in the right direction... I hope! Generally, from what you're saying, water/condensation is probably getting into something responsible for delivering spark. For instance, under one or both of your distributor caps. It can be just enough to conduct current. ..maybe a crack or loose screw. This will cause sporadic misfires. It might be plugs wires too, not likely. After driving around the condensation evaporates or gets wiped off.

Alternatively, water getting into the intake can do that... Though I don't really think that's possible with the way these cars have the intake routed.

I hope that helps and that someone with more 911 specific experience knows more.

Regards,
jeremy
Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 AM
IainM
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm in Santa Cruz and agree with above theory.

Our Californian cars are so dry all year that all the boots dry out and open up, a little water wreaks havoc. Have a look at your distributor at night, in the dark. I think you'll be shocked (sorry ;-) at the light show. I've been cleaning leads etc and rubbing a little vaseline on the rubbers to try and get a seal (don't get it on the metal if you can help it.) and the light show has diminished.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

Does your car have the original plug wires, caps & rotors?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Coil packs will do this and more subtly everything down stream at 1/6th the interval.
I usually would suspect them on a wet day when the car falls on its azz like yours is rather then a hiccup.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 AM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by SonnyT
The usual course if action is to check if any fault codes are thrown. If you take it to an Autozone or similar place they will do it for free by plugging in an OBD scan tool

The electronics will catch engine misfire and narrow down the troubleshooting

Was the check engine light on?
No, the check engine light didn't come on. Would the code still be there if I take it in tomorrow to get scanned, assuming it did throw some sort of code?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 AM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerbroo
Hi, I'm actually new to this forum and I wont take delivery of my 993 until next month.

However, I do have significant experience to point you in the right direction... I hope! Generally, from what you're saying, water/condensation is probably getting into something responsible for delivering spark. For instance, under one or both of your distributor caps. It can be just enough to conduct current. ..maybe a crack or loose screw. This will cause sporadic misfires. It might be plugs wires too, not likely. After driving around the condensation evaporates or gets wiped off.

Alternatively, water getting into the intake can do that... Though I don't really think that's possible with the way these cars have the intake routed.

I hope that helps and that someone with more 911 specific experience knows more.

Regards,
jeremy
Hi, Jeremy.

Thanks for the reply. You're one lucky guy! Welcome to the club (soon)

I did think about water getting in some electric stuff, but what would explain the smell? That's the part that's puzzling me...
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 AM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi,

Does your car have the original plug wires, caps & rotors?
I believe so, since they are all black, but they don't look THAT worn.. Would this be a good time to change them all? Is this a fairly straight forward DIY?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 AM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Coil packs will do this and more subtly everything down stream at 1/6th the interval.
I usually would suspect them on a wet day when the car falls on its azz like yours is rather then a hiccup.
I'm hoping for the best (or better). The smell is what I'm really curious about. It smelt like something burning to hot springs smell..
Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

My best guess from your description of the smell from this condition is unburnt fuel being pushed through the cats. (Sulfur like)
Just a side effect of the ignition issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

How do you like eggs ?

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/7...996_620496.pdf
Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
No, the check engine light didn't come on. Would the code still be there if I take it in tomorrow to get scanned, assuming it did throw some sort of code?
(in Marisa Tomei voice) It's a trick question!

Seriously, we don't know what year you car is. If it's '96+, it has OBD2 and will, generally, store a code. If it's '95 it's OBD1 and will not.

I would check simple things first. Definitely check distributor caps and rotors for cracks, spark plug cables for any damage.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My first thought was with Steve. It's the wires. The rain is the clue. Even if they look fine, they're not. I've heard that you can spray water on them at night with the lights off and the engine running and see arcing if they are bad. But, if yours are more than a couple of years old, they probably are.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Agree with other that the problem is mostlikely your wires. Mine had simular problems that was solved with new wires and caps. Did the problem go away when things dried up?

Quick Reply: HELP: first issue with the 993