Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jay,

I see you don't have the blower on your track car, has anyone done this to a track car, or done lots of DE's racing etc. with S/C?

I remember hearing some negative comments about tracking with S/C.

I'm interested in supercharging but if it's not doable on a car that sees a lot of track, then I'm not interested anymore.
Besides, here in US, where you guys use your S/C:ed 993s "properly" if you don't track?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:55 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Here are the files received by Johnfm from SoK:

text file: http://www.international-man-of-myst...c/sok_info.txt
PDF file: http://www.international-man-of-myst...c/sok_info.pdf

I can't see any reason why a track car couldn't be successfully supercharged if properly designed (oil cooling, intercooler, correct CR, fuel and timing)
Old 07-30-2003, 02:06 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finn,
I can't Supercharge the Supercup & stay in GTC2. The 3.8 does pretty well though since it's pushing less weight around.

My SoK engine had 28k on it when we transplanted it out of my buddies RSA. 1/3 or more of that time was track use. Graham is right. If the motor is built strong, the CR is right & you keep your intake charge cool, tracking isn't a problem. I also am running an EFI piggyback ECU box so I can set fuel & timing across the RPM & boost curve.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:32 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Here is the response I got from Enem in Sweden, which I thought you would find interesting:

We have done the prototype kit you have seen on our website. The reason
for using two superchargers on that engine was due to regulations, the
engine was for racing and they had to use restrictors. It was more
favourable for us to use two smaller as we then got totally less
restriction.

We have no price for an installation as there is no kit available.

You can use one charger and a suitable type would be the Lysholm 2.3
which have capacity for boost up to 1.3-1.4 Bar on your engine.
We did a kit for a 3.5 BMW Alpina recently and it gave 450 hp at 6000
rpm and 1,1 Bar boost.
We can help you with the Supercharger, Management system etc but to do a
Custom installation would be very expensive.

I attach a photo of an installation done by the technical engineer for
the Supercharger manufacturer. We supplied the management and did the
testing/mapping.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sheesh - what a fantastic looking mod! It LOOKS fast standing still! But, it doesn't look light- those pulley supports look heavy duty!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:53 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Just got an email from paul Burch at SoK - he was very much against keeping the stock C/R for detonation reasons. He is prepared to supply inlet & outlet plumbing, intercoolers etc but advises against doing this without lowering C/R.

Sounds like a good guy, BTW.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks JW,

Sounds reasonable. Although quite comples when you start talking about mapping etc. etc. You'd obviously need someone with experience, otherwise I guess it will be "seek & found" operation.

Graham,

That looks awesome!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:32 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

John,

he was very much against keeping the stock C/R for detonation reasons.
The TPC kit seems to work without detonation. If we use the same boost and ignition timing there should be no problem.

He is prepared to supply inlet & outlet plumbing, intercoolers etc
As individual pieces? That would really help our little project Although his plumbing includes an intercooler I expect?

For phase one (+100-120 HP) (TPC kit equivalent), we just need pulley, belt, compressor, mounting hardware, inlet/oulet plumbing/manifolds, and intercooler (if his plumbing makes it necessary). Would you mind asking him for a price on these?

Then we add our own injectors, air filter and a Unichip ourselves and program the engine on a dyno.

For phase two (+150-180 HP) the boost goes up and I agree with SoK's advice of adding intercooler, lowering compression and upgrading clutch/flywheel. This is double the price of phase one due to all the engine labour, parts, etc.

I like the idea of going for phase one only to begin with because it is:
i) half the cost, or less, than full installation
ii) easily reversible
iii) might be enough for our needs/taste
Old 07-30-2003, 09:45 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Graham

not sure if we need a unichip, BTW. I have already spoken to a UK chip guy and the larger injectors can be managed with a dyno chip programming session. In your 'kit' you have omitted the use of an FMU to adjusted fuel pressure in line with boost. I have a useful spreadsheet for sizing injectors etc for s/c motors BTW, so the fuel demands could be calculated.

I would suggest an intercooler in phase one, BTW, as the cost of fabrication from, say pace products, would be less than £500. This is cheap detonation insurance IMO.

Lastly, never use the word 'just' when referring to any automotive components, as in my very limited experience even the simplest little bracket is a minor PITA to design, specify & make if you are getting others to do it for you. I don't have the facilities, experience or time to make manifolds, brackets for pulley tensioners etc. This WILL be a time consuming and expensive-ish project, unless we can 'poach' some of the fine work already done by the likes of TPC and SoK. I wish us all good luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:53 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

not sure if we need a unichip, BTW
Well it is not much more than a chip and has the advantage that you can re-programme it whenever you add a modification and it supports extra injectors, should you want to add extra fuel/water injection.

In your 'kit' you have omitted the use of an FMU
I am a mere amateur with a learning curve on the wrong side of me

I wish us all good luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:01 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Looking at the efficiency & power curves from the Lysholm website, I'm not convinced that they are much more efficient than the Eaton. In which case, it may be simpler just to get some of hte TPC kit (ie not get the 7th injector or ducting, but get all the castings & pulley tensioners & brackets & then go from there.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For phase one (+100-120 HP) (TPC kit equivalent), we just need pulley, belt, compressor, mounting hardware, inlet/oulet plumbing/manifolds, and intercooler (if his plumbing makes it necessary). Would you mind asking him for a price on these?
You need also heater by-pass as supercharger takes the place. There are 3 new pulleys, 1 for S/C one for generattor/fan (they are turning together now) and one to crank, plus tensioner. I don't have A/C, so can't comment on that. You need also boost valve.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:22 PM
bertmerv
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone for the information. Most of you are into this far deeper than I. I'll keep reading with interest.
Also, I got an e-mail re. a personal post to me yesterday. The link to the post did not work and now I've lost the e-mail. If you are out there, feel free to try again.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM
993Power
Instructor

Yeah I agree with Bertmerv, we are all into this more than we thought, and have great interest in this.

Hey Jack, Does the TPC kit retain the A/C? If it doesn't, I'll think twice about it because of the CA Weather. Thanks!

chris
Old 07-30-2003, 05:33 PM
reynmel
2nd Gear

I have also been looking into the TPC and was wondering for those who have it installed:

1. What octane do you use? Not all pumps in my area have 93 or 94 but
91-92 is common.

2. Did you lower compression (via piston change)?

Quick Reply: Superchargers