993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 05:06 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too long, but...
Always had "sporty" cars (RX7, 320, MR2) as the years passed. Also always wanted a convertible with real guts and handling, but couldn't find what I wanted. In '97 with the roadster explosion (Z3, Boxster, SLK) I actually thought the BMW was what I wanted probably since I was familiar with the brand (although I was going to wait until the 2.3l or M version). Then I started reading about all the problems they had with their early models and it reminded me of the constant effort my old 320 had been. My wife and I had been dating at that time and she did not want "us" to own a BMW. So, I crossed the Z3 off the list. Started reading more and more about the Boxster - decided it was the one but I would wait until the "S" version came out. My wife reminded me I had promised to keep my MR2 for 10 years; I pointed out 1997-1987=10 (she hates it when I do that). I weakened and drove a Boxster in '98. Loved it but still couldn't afford it and knew with the lack of low end torque it would never be "the" car. So I stayed with the wait until the "S".
2002, still can't afford a new "S" and am done waiting. I start looking for a '87-'89 911 cab, prefer turbo look. After a few months I found one on the internet that a guy "needed" to sell now (got pissed off and quit his job with wife+2 kids+boat+motorhome+5or6 cars). His ad was hastily placed and mentioned the turbo appearance stuff and slantnose - a bonus for me. I took the down the VIN and option codes and realized this was a factory turbo that came with the slantnose package; he just didn't write his ad properly. I committed to traveling the 300+ miles that weekend and buying the car, the rest is basically history.
The car had some serious shortcomings but I don't think I'll ever be happy again unless I have a P car cab to drive.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:14 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

It was fate. Since the late 70's I had had a Hot Wheels 928 in a champaigne color on my nightstand. We (two children, wife, skiers and bikers) were buying a Windstar (please forgive me). As we were paying the business person came out with, "Aren't you thrilled to get this!" I looked at him in bewilderment and said, "It's a Van, now if it were a Porsche I'd be thrilled."

At that he called in one of the salemen. Seems he was getting married in several weeks, was rebuilding a rustang cobra, and had just bought a 944. His fiance made him an ultimatum-me or the Porsche (Well the poor guy had to make a decision and who knows if it was the right one.) It was Kalahari Beige-Champaigne-and love at first sight. My first remark, trying to keep cool, was that at 6" 2"+ I'd never fit. Got in and moved the seat all the way back, and then had to move it forward to get to the pedals. The rest as they say is history.

Al
Old 02-01-2004, 12:49 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

I will pick up Porsche #4 next week - have been without for 6 years now.

When I told my wife that I had to get another, she tried to talk me out of it.
By that time, there was no hope of that.

Since I knew she didn't really want to see another Porsche in the driveway, I set a budget for another 964 (like my last one). I found one and showed her. She said "is that the one you really want". I said, not really - I would like to get a 993 but they are more money. Her answer was: "don't buy something you don't really want".
I took the advice.
It makes life much more enjoyable living with someone who is willing to step out of her own priorities to encourage me to engage in one of my passions.
ROwen
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 AM
James Shunt
Intermediate

ROwen

That sounds very familiar. Before buying my 993, I was considering a Honda S2000. I had the chance to get an almost-new one. Great car, lots of fun (especially on a track, where I first tried one), very reliable, even more reliable and much cheaper. But it just isn't a Porsche. My heart said 911, my head said Honda, my girlfriend said: "You'll still want a Porsche if you get the S2000 and regret not taking the chance." She was right.

So here I am - Porsche-passionate, perfectly pleased and poverty-stricken...

James
Old 02-02-2004, 07:02 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

yep, i drove dads' car (63' S90 cab) before i was legal, he left it to me in his will, drove it for about a year (it was always dads' car) sold it to a very good freind (retained 1st right of refusal) and bought MY Porsche 993 C2. i wanted a Club Sport but could not find or wait for one to turn up! i don't regret not waiting! the Rivis' got soul.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:45 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have had several ragtops but always felt the ultimate was the Carerra. My mother passed away last year and left some money. Even though I still have young children and plenty of demand upcoming for that money, I felt that I had earned the car because of a particularly rough year I had had in my business. (Another story for another thread! On another bulletin board!) I used a small percentage of what was left to me, but the best part is that I feel like it was a parting gift from my mother who I will always love.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 PM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This has been a fun thread to read. My story goes back a long way to a sixteen year old boy who detailed cars on the weekends and after school. One of my clients had a 1977 Turbo and it was love at first sight. I was allowed to drive the car on several occassions and vowed to someday have my own. Well several years and many high performance cars later I am the proud owner of a 1997 993 TT in artic silver/classic grey.The wait was well worth it and I just love this car.Life truely begins above 400 horsepower.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 PM
devilgrl
Advanced

I bought my first Porsche, a 1983 944 about a week before my 17th bday. I bought it off the original owner for $3800 which was about my life savings at the time. I rememeber driving it to school my senior year and people thought I was a spoiled rich kid even though I pointed out that my car was less than a quarter of what their parents spent on their brand new civic or what have you. I've since then owned a 951, 914, 912, 930, 968 and 993.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:57 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Without warning or permission.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:46 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have long regretted not buying a 1961 (Super 90 I think it was) in about 1965 when I was 16 (wish I had and wish I still had it!). At the time on lucky days a local disc jockey friend would loan me his early 911, and I had the bug big time. Marriage and kids followed, and the time never seemed right to spend the money, though I always longed for a 911. Finally, about a year after getting divorced (I thought that's when everyone got the p-car), I went out one Friday and just did it, with a new 1994 RS America. That followed with a 1997 Targa (gorgeous car). Got rid of that a few years later when I felt I needed to cut back (sad day); drove a MB for a couple years and hated it, then got an '01 Boxster S I'm driving now, and I have terrible urges to get an '04 Targa that I looked at today - maybe Saturday?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:03 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Was 1969... my boss got a new tangerine 912 coupe. Geez I lusted for that car!!! Well, one night he goes out with friends,, has a little much too drink and parks it in his driveway with a lit cigar in the ashtray. A few weeks later, after it's put back together by Porsche, with a new interior and paint job, his insurance company cancels him. Lucky me, I got to take over his $2,200 loan and his car,,,,, Thanks, Bob, wherever you are...
Old 03-14-2004, 03:17 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

I friend who was moving out of state gave me his (barely running) yellow 1966 912 which I fixed up and drove for about eight years before selling it to get a 1970 911.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:13 PM
RAC
Racer

I am still waiting to get mine.... someday.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a beautiful 1970 911E in 1972. It was exactly the same cost as a brand new 914-4 that I also looked at. Gadzooks... I'm sure glad I chose the 911 instead. Of course, later, I chopped up the car, and turned it into an RSR for racing... full cage, fire system, fuel cell... the works.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:43 AM
jz993
Racer

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. Many great stories. Common themes seem to be:
Long Time Longing
Rewarding oneself
Wife/GF encouraging to "get the car you want". Amazing how an "outside" perspective can be clearer, that someone else might know us better than we know ourselves. Were it not for my wife's sage advice, I might not have bought my 993. How lucky I am to have chosen wisely...twice!
Got my first Porsche at 20, a '74 914 2.0. I actually prefer the 914 to the 911, but in today's age of SUV's, I feel safer on a motorcycle. The 914 is just too low. Have also had a 914 1.8, and a 914-6.
Got the 993 just 2 mos. ago, after practically no longing, research, or searching for the right color, options, etc. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Quick Reply: OT: How did you buy your first Porsche?