Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Micro-switches such as the one used for the clutch and cruise control
can be 'brought-back-to-life" electrically sometimes by spraying WD40
(or electrical contact spray) into the plunger and working the plunger in
and out.

Since a no-crank situation may occur the result of the clutch switch or the
immobilizer, one should carry a jumper for R61.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb

Good. Now remember, the starter signal (#50) goes thru a relay
(R61 controlled by the immobilizer ECU and the clutch switch).
To bypass both, jumper pins 30 & 87 on R61. That way the neither
the immobilizer nor the clutch switch will affect cranking.
Thanks, Loren, This is good info. I'll make one up similar to what is shown in JPP's fusebox picture, with a label of which pins to jumper, and carry it with the spare DME relay.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Micro-switches such as the one used for the clutch and cruise control
can be 'brought-back-to-life" electrically sometimes by spraying WD40
(or electrical contact spray) into the plunger and working the plunger in
and out.

By 'jumper' you mean a couple of blade type connector ends with wire soldered between them like this?
Name:  a779cf66-b4b3-4e0f-a6a3-82e55b531b47_zps91182760.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  72.3 KB
Old 11-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
By 'jumper' you mean a couple of blade type connector ends with wire soldered between them like this?
Yup. In this case "jumper" is a technical term, and not one of these:

It is exactly what you circled. What is that one in place for?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"By 'jumper' you mean a couple of blade type connector ends with wire soldered between them like this?"

Yes, you were ahead us with the posted picture.
With that the car will always crank with the exception of a bad ignition
switch, wiring, or starter solenoid/motor and becomes an early 993
from the cranking standpoint.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul902
Yup. It is exactly what you circled. What is that one in place for?
Not sure .. I pulled the picture from another thread. I do know that position usually has a type 53 relay in it just like the starter and horn relay's.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon Paul,

I knew if I didn't explain what that jumper was for it would come up!!! I removed the relay for the Fog Lights and installed the Jumper. The Jumper turns the Fog Lights on when you turn the Key and gives you Daytime Running Lights a requirement here in Canada eh!

Hope I have helped in some small way. . .

Lloyd
Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Past discussions indicate that the '96 model year ECU can not be reprogrammed to deactivate the immobilizer with respect to starting the car without using the button/remote (or the key on-off code). Assuming all else is in order, would it be reasonable to leave above jumper in place, thereby bypassing the required activation by the immobilizer signal to the relay? If this is possible, the only issue would be the dash light remaining on until the immobilizer received the appropriate response to extinguish the dash light. Does the immobilizer control any other start functions like fuel pump, ignition, or other engine circuits? I would think this is too simple a solution, having not been brought up before.

Obviously, I have no issues at present; only future solutions when problems arise!

Thanks from a "non-wired" kinda guy!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Ok .. so you're saying, if the exterior switch bar is clean and where it contacts is clean, when it's in contact at full throw, the internal's don't matter .. closed is closed. Is that right?
If I understand what you're saying...that is NOT correct. The clean/dirty of the "exterior switch bar"...called the actuator...is not so important, so long as it is able to move freely when pressed/released. When the actuator is moved from the open to the closed position (by pressing the clutch in this case)...it causes the internal contacts to be pressed against each other...which SHOULD allow electrical current to flow through the contacts. But these contacts must be clean and uncorroded for proper current to flow. I know that's wordy...but I'm an engineer, an unfortunately...that's how we explain things.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lcorkum
Jon Paul,

I knew if I didn't explain what that jumper was for it would come up!!! I removed the relay for the Fog Lights and installed the Jumper. The Jumper turns the Fog Lights on when you turn the Key and gives you Daytime Running Lights a requirement here in Canada eh!

Hope I have helped in some small way. . .

Lloyd
Right! Thanks for the insights ..

Originally Posted by Allen
If I understand what you're saying...that is NOT correct. The clean/dirty of the "exterior switch bar"...called the actuator...is not so important, so long as it is able to move freely when pressed/released. When the actuator is moved from the open to the closed position (by pressing the clutch in this case)...it causes the internal contacts to be pressed against each other...which SHOULD allow electrical current to flow through the contacts. But these contacts must be clean and uncorroded for proper current to flow. I know that's wordy...but I'm an engineer, an unfortunately...that's how we explain things.
Yeah, me to. It's a curse really ...
So, car hasn't failed to start yet since I tie-wrapped the bar closed. Contact cleaner and a few other goodies are on their way from Amazon ...
I spoke again with Jesse at Sunset Porsche yesterday .. they're a bit stumped but we all came to the conclusion that whoever put the information in the PET to update it for model year changes in '97 didn't understand that the cruise control microswitch p/n 993 613 415 00 would remain for all years including '97 and on and the new switch .. p/n 993 613 416 00 was for the clutch safety cut-off system and should have generated a revised picture and qty of 1 for model year '97 and on ... BUT I will continue to 'test' the car through the week until my contact cleaner arrives and then, I'll remove the switch, check the part number, try and clean the plunger and any other contact areas I can see .. re-install it without the tie-wrap in place and do some further testing before ordering a new switch. I know some will question why I would not just leave the tie-wrap in place and be happy ... but I would prefer it to be correct. If that means $12 for contact cleaner and an hours work .. or even $60 for a switch ... it's worth it to me. Yesh, I Yam a Wonk!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Assuming all else is in order, would it be reasonable to leave above jumper in place, thereby bypassing the required activation by the immobilizer signal to the relay?"

Yes, and one then must always make sure the car is in neutral or the clutch is depressed when
starting.

"If this is possible, the only issue would be the dash light remaining on until the immobilizer received the appropriate response to extinguish the dash light."

Right.

"Does the immobilizer control any other start functions like fuel pump, ignition, or other engine circuits?"

It does, i.e. the DME ECM doesn't become active until it receives the command from the immobilizer.

Bypassing the R61 relay eliminates another level of security the late 993 has.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

"If this is possible, the only issue would be the dash light remaining on until the immobilizer received the appropriate response to extinguish the dash light."

You can always take out the bulb!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Great thread! Does this jumper work to bypass the immobilizer on '96 cars as well? I know they are a bit of an "odd man" in the 993 series when it comes to electrical and computer parts... Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ilko: Based on Loren's response to my inquiry:

"Does the immobilizer control any other start functions like fuel pump, ignition, or other engine circuits?"

It does, i.e. the DME ECM doesn't become active until it receives the command from the immobilizer.

This indicates to me that the referenced jumper affects only the clutch switch and not other signals from the immobilizer that are required for starting. I guess there is no free lunch for '96 to eliminate this unit. The '96 ECU can not be reprogrammed, so I am told; but a later ECU, if found, can be installed and reprogrammed to bypass the immobilizer. I'm open for correction if in error!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"This indicates to me that the referenced jumper affects only the clutch switch and not other signals from the immobilizer that are required for starting. I guess there is no free lunch for '96 to eliminate this unit. The '96 ECU can not be reprogrammed, so I am told; but a later ECU, if found, can be installed and reprogrammed to bypass the immobilizer. I'm open for correction if in error!"

Totally correct!

Quick Reply: IMMOBILIZER!!!