Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

In today's market this is a $40k car.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
In today's market this is a $40k car.
I was thinking similarly...could move into low 40's depending on condition, PPI, etc. with the relatively low mileage.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VA993Dreamer
Why is that?
would you buy it for $40k...this car given all you know about it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYC993
would you buy it for $40k...this car given all you know about it.
Just read through the entire thread regarding the purchase drama. Acknowledging that I (and many others I presume) would not handle my business the way he did, I can't seem to find documentation that the car itself has some fatal flaw that puts it on the verge of pissing all it's oil out and detonating, do you?

So to answer your question, yes, I'd buy the car if it checked out mechanically. It is a $40k+ car if it does. The drama surrounding his purchase of it should have no bearing on what it's worth in the market today.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
NYC993
Drifting

I'm not sure how many here would pay 40k for 5 owner convertible with original clutch and suspension that burns oil and was bought for low 30s a few months ago. I don't see anybody jumping at it.

I hope it sells for 40k...better for the rest of us.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure how many here would pay 40k for 5 owner convertible with original clutch and suspension that burns oil and was bought for low 30s a few months ago. I don't see anybody jumping at it.

I hope it sells for 40k...better for the rest of us.
I'd agree that adding 2 qts in 2k miles is a bit much,however it's not unheard of either. Again, a thorough PPI will reveal if there's a major issue here, and that will drive price determination. What it was bought for by the current owner is really irrelevant- what matters is what someone is willing to pay for it today. Your comment about "5 owner convertible with original clutch and suspension" I don't quite understand? Lots of cars here have had multiple owners due to their age and some would argue that a multiple owner car with thorough service history (which I'm not sure this car has) is as or more valuable than a one or two owner car with none. Also, many cars here are on original suspension and clutch, and often that is taken into consideration when negotiating price. As for it being a convertible, current market is suggesting that cabs are not commanding lower prices than coupes. While there is a smaller market for cabs for sure, there were also fewer cabs built. Well- sorted 993s of all types seem to be getting more valuable, your WB and my Cab included!

GLWS!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Yup, bought the car, took it to an indy shop and they said car is fine. I've gone 2000 miles and only added 2 quarts. Oil hasn't leaked at all. I think the shop in CO was trying to get a job.

Anyway, I buy a couple, sometimes 3 a year. This car is absolutely perfect! Thanks for the good wishes.
Hey, welcome to the 993 world. What number car is this since the sub?

Very nice car, and GLWS
Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Hey, welcome to the 993 world. What number car is this since the sub?

Very nice car, and GLWS
Thanks! I've had quite a few since the Sub...
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Thanks for all your feedback. Bought the car with 42k miles and it now has 44k. Just added 2 quarts and the oil gauge went from 3/4 to over full. I'm not sure if it had really used two quarts or not.

The car may "seep" a little oil but it's in the realm of normal and nothing to worry about according to the shop I took it to. They said using mobile 1 syn may be contributing to "seepage.."

Bottom line, with under 4% leak down across all 6 cylinders and 185psi on all 6, flawless interior/exterior new top, 2 sets of wheels and tires, this car has no doubt been well cared for and is a great example of a 993 Cab and I'm comfortable sticking to $40k plus. I've already had offers of $37,500 by an enthusiast who saw and drove and $38k from a guy in Cali.

I've owned a lot of cars, I'm an enthusiast and am just as happy to enjoy this car on weekends until a buyer comes along and snatches it up. Lastly, if a ppi showed anything that needs attention for that buyer it will be fixed whatever the cost so really this thread and conversation has hopefully run its course.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM
NYC993
Drifting

You may have overfilled it. What does the dipstick say? The gauge is usually at zero in most 993s.

Anyways, best of luck with the sale.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Question

You may have overfilled it. What does the dipstick say? The gauge is usually at zero in most 993s.

Anyways, best of luck with the sale.
Ya.. It's overfilled :/ pics to come.

Thanks NYC993!!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
if a ppi showed anything that needs attention for that buyer it will be fixed whatever the cost
So I guess you refunded the previous owner the $4,000 you "negotiated" for a problem that didn't exist
Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how many here would pay 40k for 5 owner convertible....
Here we go w the "owners" again. Can someone please explain to me how the number of owners directly and quantitatively effects value on a car. who cares if the car is sorted?!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default multiple owners

Agreed, number of owners is such an over-used topic. Does it matter how many partners your wife had before?
Well, let me think about that...bad example. Unless, she is REALLY hot!
LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
So I guess you refunded the previous owner the $4,000 you "negotiated" for a problem that didn't exist
Really? Cmon now.. Don't assume that a few posts here on this forum accurately reflect the entirety of, and nuances that went into the negotiation which lead to a final agreement. And stop actiing like anyone knows what I paid for this car... Further, all these posts by people who think they know exactly what happned just because a few things were posted here are being short-sided to say the least.

However, I think the vast majority of people in this 'particular' forum are savvy enough, and been around the block enough times to know all of what goes into a deal can't be defined simply by nothing but conjecture. Further, as previously posted, they understand that whatever deal I got, whether it be private party or dealer isn't fair to a me, long time Rennlist "member"to try and second guess based on that conjecture.

All that said, here's what happened in a nutshell. The seller took it to a second shop at my direction for another opinion and the second shop said basically what my local shop ended up saying; that it seeps a minor amount and most likely will *not* need any engine work anytime soon, probably until the normal time these engines need a top end rebuild (but no guarantees).

...in the end, and after him almost backing out of the deal because he decided he didn't want to sell anymore (probably based on the fact the car went for less than he wanted it to), I was able to persuade him otherwise. I believe it was a decision he came to for two reasons. First, since it was an Ebay auction I won he should honor it. ..and two is the simple fact I think he was a moral guy and worked to find a solution based on the fact that it *was* an auction that I was the top bidder of and backing out wasn't the rights thing to do, negative feedback not withstanding.

So, we negotiated to a final price that we both were comfortable with and called it a deal.

Anymore questions??

Last edited by arr0gant; 11-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: For Sale: 1996 C2 Cab - Guards Red / Tan