Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door check (welding) repair - need insight quickly

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Pondered and researched this problem for almost a year - some good links on RL and strategies, but my story is I had a broken strap & PO had attempted a weld which cracked. So, going for a stronger fix: remove the door only, cut a window, rebuild the strap and boost up the original fix points, rust proof. Close up the window, repaint, and job done. No need to remove the front wing.
Attached Images    
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 642 Posts

Stopped by the shop working on my car today and got a firsthand look at the pillar and damage on the back side. Certainly clarifies that a repair can be done from the back of the pillar, with removal of the door, and no need to remove the fender and bumper. Definitely voiced my displeasure with the shop they inquired with that suggested that was necessary. They have doubts about that shop now, as well. I think the rear 'window' approach is the best, but I would prefer the proper sheetmetal in there (with the recess it has at the pivot's contact point), but it seems one would have to buy the entire $600 pillar section to just remove that small piece. I'm hoping to find a shop that can fabricate a patch panel that mirrors the basic shape of the piece that gets removed and pay for the fabrication instead of the Porsche pillar piece. The tech is also going to remove some of the rubber inside the new door check part before putting that back in the door. Apparently, even the door check was worn from the damage over time. It was so bad on my car that the metal on the front of the pillar is deformed from the latch being pulled against the inside of the pillar - if that makes sense.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2013, 01:54 AM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, after the door is removed, no need to remove fender, etc. The shop cut out a section of the A pillar and re-welded the plate that the door check mounted to. The repair was repainted and the door check replaced.

Just my experience.

Phil

Quick Reply: Door check (welding) repair - need insight quickly