993 bent jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:18 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 bent jacking point

Hi-I'm a new member. I just bought a '96 993, Polar Silver/black and aerokit. 18k miles. OK-my problem: the driver's side front jacking point is bent. The jacking point is tilted from front to rear, putting the 'hole' of the jacking point at an incorrect angle to the ground. Car has a clean accident record and nothing else looks bent or replaced.
Does anyone know: can it be bent back? Do I have some welding to do (not me actually, that would be a disaster)?
I was getting ready to change the oil-has 0W-40 Mobil 1 currently. I live in Memphis and feel I need 15W-50 Mobil 1 for the summer. That sound right?
Anyway, I'm a little hesitant to try and get the car off the ground with jackstands, which was the plan. And I'm not sure the dealer could safely get the car off the ground ether.
Otherwise, the car is pristine. Great paint, no dings, lowered, sport seats, techart oval pipes.
I apologize if I'm asking too many questions and perhaps some rambling. Sorry. Any info is really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search...these topics have been covered many times, and the jacking point topic was covered in detail a few weeks ago. the cause of the damage was most likely from it being used as a tie-down point on a flatbed.

as far as geting the car up on jackstands, you may want to look into getting an autometrics jacking/tow plate for the rear. there was a group buy a few weeks ago. you may also want to get the AC jackstands that Jeff posted re: a special buy on.

don't forget to post some pics of your car once you get Rennlist membership...I'm sure she's a beauty!
Old 07-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Bent jack points ? who, me ?

I would not worry about the fact one is bent, but whether or not to use it depends on how bent it is... A nice low rise lift will solve that issue for you ;-)

I bent my own jackpoint a bit..well, bozo did, it wasn't me.... quite easy to do...

Jack the car on a floor covered in armstrong vinyl (glued) tiles, which have been fine for your other car. Raise one side of the car using the jack points. Listen to the strange noise of tires slipping, as the non jacked side slides away by lifting the tiles from the floor a full foot sideways ! Escape the slowly falling car (even 2 safety jacks underneath are no help when the car slides sideways) in time to reposition a hydraulic jack under the front suspension to catch the vehicle... Observe the now slightly bent jack point and a small gouge in your paint on the bottom sill from the falling jack. Curse a lot.. Resolve to never jack a car a gain in your life and go buy a lift ! ;-) At least that's my experience... Same thing was never a problem for the lighter 356 but the 993 is a heavy pig ! ;-) a real nice heavy pig ! A beautiful heavy pig, even...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:19 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem when I purchased my 993 - so bad the jacking point was virtually unusable. My body man used brute force - inserted an iron bar and leaned on it; result, a straight jacking point. Not sure if this would work in every case but....

PJC
Old 07-17-2003, 08:43 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Who needs a front jacking point? Place a floor jack under the rear point and you can raise the whole side of the car. Been using this for years to change pads/tires/rotors, etc.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:01 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

csertich,

Many 993 owners have a bent front jack point. I had mine straightened when it was in the body shop for "de-bumperetting", but it bent back again as soon as I used it as a lifting point. Unless its straightened and then reinforced and welded yours will bend back too.

I use four small pieces of plywood, 3/4" thick and about 2" x 4" on the cradle top of each of my jackstands. On my particular stands this provides a very secure and stable connection between the jackstand and lifting plates of the car. For the bent front jack point, I used the piece of 3/4" plywood, but cut a hardwood angle "shin" so that when the car is lowered onto it, I have full contact between the jack point and the wood/jackstand.

Ray is correct in that you really never need to use either front jacking point to actually raise the car (unless you have a flat tire and have to use the factory jack, uggh !!). Read the DIY on jacking the car on P-Cars.com.

But you can safely REST the car on a jackstand at this bent jack point without worry - it will not collapse on you. But to get full and secure contact, make up a shim like I did.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 07-17-2003, 05:14 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies, advice and stories! I feel a lot better. I was kind of sick when I first discovered this 'flaw' in my otherwise perfect car.

Thanks again everybody.

Chuck Sertich
1996 993
Polar silver

Quick Reply: 993 bent jacking point