993 Forum 1995-1998

Car seat question for those using Britax Roundabout

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car seat question for those using Britax Roundabout

I am getting ready to purchase a car seat, and I read throught the threads and it looks like Britax Roundabout is the best fitting one. So I go to the Britax website and they have 2 roundabout models. the Roundabout and the Roundabout 55. The only difference is the dimensions of the seat. Here's the dimensions for each:

Roundabout: 18.5W x 26H x 21.5D (47W x 66H x 53.3D cm)
Roundabout 55: 19.5W x 26H x 18.5D (49.5W x 66H x 47D cm)

The roundabout is 1 inch narrower but it is 3 inches deeper than the other. Which one would you guys go with. I don't have my car, it is at the body shop so I can't measure. Thanks fellas, I want to get this right the first time.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car seat I use is 17.0 x 21.5 x 26.5. Width is not an issue and both seats you contemplate should fit.
My problem is depth. At 21.5 inches, my car seat is a bit longer than than the seat base, and so enough of the car seat overhangs the rear seat base that it's less steady than I'd like.

Part of this is because of my car seat's base design, which is "legged" rather than a solid perimeter base. It's hard to explain, but basically, the Britax solid base will be more stable at any depth.

The wildcard in the measurements and fitment is how the upper seat fits. The base may fit fine, but in certain recline angles, you won't be getting good base contact because the rear seat area is so upright. If the rear seat back is upright, then a reclined car seat will be displaced forward at the base and you won't get good contact. But, if the britax is capable of being mostly upright, then you should be fine. Also, the outboard side of the car isn't that roomy, and some of the britax seats have wings which may interfere.

If I were you, I'd go with the 55 and prepare to sweat and grunt while contorted in the back seat area while you try to get the thing cinched down tightly.

I don't want my kid to grow up fast, it's already too fast as it is. But, I'm looking forward to ditching the car seat and moving to less cumbersome booster.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 AM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Britax Boulevard 65 in my 993. The specs from the Britax website show exactly the same dimension between the Boulevard 65 and the Roundabout 55. I talked to the sales at the baby shop and she confirmed that the two have the same base, but the top are different. However, the sales said the Boulevard 65 needed to be special order since not many people are buying it. So I decided to go for the Boulevard 65.

I use the Rennline harness mounting brackets as recommended by some Rennlisters here in order to secure the seat with the latch anchors. I also use the seat belt in addition to the latch anchors. The Boulevard does stick out maybe 1.5 to 2 inch from the back seat but I feel that it's pretty secure and stable with the anchors and seat belt tightened up. If I have a Canadian model I would have used the tether mount at the back of the seat and the car seat should be pretty unmovable.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The seat is a little too small for me.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

im using the Britax Boulevard love it....
Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed the 1400lbs D rings I bought where the seat belts were.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:36 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I will get the rennline harness mounts for the anchors and still do the seatbelt through the back as well. I see a few Britax's work but my guess would be that the solid base and not the legged base will be a little more sturdy on the seat as there will be more seat contact. As long as they fit back there I will make it work. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

If you need ..... I own the "back in the day" OEM Porsche made by Britax baby seat intended for use in the front passenger seat. The base of the Porsche baby seat includes a loose "seat belt material type" strap that plugs into the passenger seats base, turning OFF the passenger dashboard located airbag. Starting at about the 18 month/2year age we used the Porsche seat.

If you need .... the seat is boxed up and in the attic, I'll offer to get what ever I can assist with.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You can have my Diplomat for cheap (hardly used, i think has a smaller base than the Roundabout)

See my post from a a while back here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...surements.html
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Chris...enough of the baby seat fittment bull****...where's the damn pics of the car man, your killing me.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Car is still at body shop. You know how that goes, one thing, then maybe this, then maybe that, . Then maybe to rick nelson for a full front end cover in xpel ultimate. Should be soon. Can't wait. Thanks for the offers on the seats guys, but my wife is insisting the seats be new or relatively new less than 5 years old, and must be a rear seat.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You can search for the extensive posts I've put on this subject over the years. I'm using a Britax now, I think Marathon. I use the Rennline bits to essentially make my own LATCH system, plus the rear tether through the rear dash.

Best bet is to just try them out though. I have to get a larger one soon...this is my third seat I think, and I just take the car to the car seat place and park out front...try them all out.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

JPS I have read almost all your posts re: car seats. They have been very helpful. I am most likely going to order tge seat online so can't try the fitment. But it seems most britax fit regardless of model so thats good. I may go with the roundabout 55 as the base is only 18.5'' deep. Along with the rennline mounts I will feel pretty comfortable.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I took my car in for a ride height, corner balance, and alignment check the other day. The tech thought it was pretty funny. He said he doesn't get many cars in for corner balance with a toddler seat in the back. I told him my son is about 30 lbs so add that in.

Quick Reply: Car seat question for those using Britax Roundabout