Sponsored by:

Rear window trim seal fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rear window trim seal fix?

After recently reading about the rear window trim seal issues and looking at my replaced window (about four years ago). I see that the install was not done right. There is the unfilled cavity around the sides and top. The bottom is tight as the glass assembly slid down (no templates used?). About two years ago I tried filling the cavity with 'dum dum', a black sticky putty like material. This did not do well in hot weather and would soften, trim seal was coming off in places.

I ordered a new OEM seal from Pelican Parts and spent a lot of time cleaning out the cavity and the seal groove. I filled the cavity with 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 - Black. Comes in 3 oz squeeze tube and caulk cartridge. This is a Urethane Prepolymer adhesive, takes seven days to fully cure, and is very permanent. I used this to remount the metal bracket of the third tail light to the rear window.

The cavity is filled and cured. I did a test fit of the new trim seal... It will not come near to fitting without a major stretch!!!! Also, the seal does not 'snap in' to the groove. It wants to slip right out. I read in one of the rear seal threads about 'Do Not Stretch the Seal'. No way will this go in and stay in!!!! See the pix...

My plan for this is to cut the seal and put some of the 5200 Adhesive in the seal groove and over the cavity fill. I will allow an inch or so gap at the top where the third tail light wires come thru and work my way around sealing and placing the seal. I will use lots of tape to hold the seal down and in position as I go. At the top gap, I will use more adhesive to fill/smooth the area over. Hopefully there won't be anyplace for water to penetrate or get to the groove area. The third tail light will cover the top gap area of the seal.

Yea, this is a 'permanent' install because of the type of adhesive, but I don't see any alternative. If anyone cares to make a comment or suggestion, I am open. I won't be doing anything for a couple of weeks.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
What a great resource this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images     
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5200?!
Ur crazy. It won't ever come off w/o taking the rest of the car w it!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Here is a good thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ar-window.html
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 406 Posts

I would worry about the 5200 for sure. Hopefully this works out ok.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

chsu74,

I did read that thread through... Not sure if my situation fits as I would have to stretch the seal so much. It would pop out at the corners, etc... Not sure why this is so? The rear glass is new (rear wiper delete). Even now there is a small section of the grove trim broken away in the lower left corner. This is certainly a poor design that I will have to deal with.

I am also wanting to finish my car!!! I really did not need this extra work issue.

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I thought the lower corners are taped down when glue is applied until it cures the next day. Or tape around the window as much as you need to keep the "stretch" for correct fitment.

I don't remember the sequence but don't you start from the middle bottom with the center line? I think you can stretch the rubber seal a bit but be careful stretching..

I am sure there are several ways to skin this cat but I would prefer not to go to a permanent solution unless it is the only option. IMHO of course..
Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

I'd suggest looking at some marine SikaFlex type sealing. It's very good stuff, flexible and is removable down the road. 5200 will be a major disaster if you ever have to replace the rear glass again. Like EMBPilot said, it'll take part of the car with it. Definitely overkill though I understand the reasoning!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy these rear window seal projects seem to turn into a real FUBAR....lotsa times!! Think I'll steer clear and just manually dry out the area on the very few occasions it gets wet!!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Jeez, is industrial strength adhesive really necessary?

I had the broken trim channel at the bottom corners. Put some black rtv silicone into the channel, inserted the rubber trim into the channel and held it down with duct tape. Let it sit overnight.

Removed tape. No issues since (about 2 years)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sealants aside, having just done this, to me I think there is an issue with the seal itself in your case. When I first tried to put the seal on, I did stretch it a little bit and ended up with lots of extra and had to pull it out and re-do it. The second time I did not stretch it at all and it fit absolutely perfectly. Yours in the pictrue seems way short and will need a lot of stretch. I think that something is wrong there and the more you pull and stretch, the less chance it will stay put. Maybe try another vendor? However, mine came from Pelican, too. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rear window trim seal fix?