Sponsored by:

Another C&C and tie-rod pinning party in OC, CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great.

Paul --- it's good to keep an updated list of who's coming. I think it's good policy to have brand new HSS bits for the project (have at least 4). I believe they are 5/16" but not entirely sure. You might ask Andy or Peter the size.

So far the list for tie rod pinning is:
1) nine9six
2) For202Fly
3) windydog
4) LuckyJ
5) delta

Marc
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Paul,

You can try sharpening, but I wouldn't try to sharpen just freehand using a wheel as you really want straight cuts. If the bit breaks or catches on the tie rod, you could stand to make an untrue hole or break your bit in your tie rod. HSS bits are only $3-4 a piece at Home Depot and we probably only need 3-4 for 10 cars (that's two holes per car - one for each tie rod).

Also see if you can get a bag of roll pins. I would think someone like McFadden-Dale Hardware would carry something like this. Refer to my other post (or ask Kika) what the roll pin diameter and length is.

No problem. I've mounted at least 4 sets of cans just these past few months and they install easily using my lift. About a 30-45 minute job.

So far the list for tie rod pinning is:
1) nine9six
2) For202Fly
3) windydog
4) LuckyJ
5) delta

Marc
Marc,
The tool is a "drill jig" with guide bores for the drill bit, yes?
We'll be just fine...Or everyone can bring their own new bit, and I'll use one I sharpen...
List is updated, and Andy is PM'ing this evening with the drill size.

P.S. I am not questioning your engineering prowess, but I did do 15 yrs a machinist at LBNSY, so hopefully I have a pretty good idea of what we're doing here. BTW do you have a center punch that fits the guide hole of the jig?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
Marc,
The tool is a "drill jig" with guide bores for the drill bit, yes?
We'll be just fine...Or everyone can bring their own new bit, and I'll use one I sharpen...
List is updated, and Andy is PM'ing this evening with the drill size.

P.S. I am not questioning your engineering prowess, but I did do 15 yrs a machinist at LBNSY, so hopefully I have a pretty good idea of what we're doing here. BTW do you have a center punch that fits the guide hole of the jig?
Paul,

There is quite a bit of torque and drilling that is required to get through these tie rods (each tie rod has 4 sleeves) and, even with drilling oil and taking your time, the drill bits can dull and even break. I do have center punches, but I really do not think there's a need for them with the jig we designed with drill bit bushings.

Marc
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in for pizza/beer and hanging out. Did the tie-rod pinning at the last party--and very happy with the results!

Chad
Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in, Bro.
Either dates works for me as well...
I dont' need anything done but want to check out that sport seat Paul's got.
I will bring beers...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Paul,

There is quite a bit of torque and drilling that is required to get through these tie rods (each tie rod has 4 sleeves) and, even with drilling oil and taking your time, the drill bits can dull and even break. I do have center punches, but I really do not think there's a need for them with the jig we designed with drill bit bushings.

Marc
I agree Marc, a sharp bit is needed, but you just contradicted your pm to me. The jig keeps the drill bit on center as I previously stated...Machinists have been hand touching up the cutting edges on drill bits for eons with great success.

If you dont trust my abilities to sharpen a bit then please say so. This is why I suggested all bring their own 5/16 HSS drill bit, so everyone will have their very own sharp bit to start.

Whats more important, is a high quality grade HSS bit, and not the typical China crap (as sold at Home Depot) that cant hold an edge for more than a minute before burning up. Cutting oil without cooling properties, only serves to increases the heat at the cutting edge. That very same heat promotes dulling the cutting edge.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM
nine9six
Banned

Update...

So far the list for tie rod pinning is as noted below:

1) nine9six (Either date)
2) For202Fly (Either date)
3) windydog (No date mentioned)
4) LuckyJ (Either date)
5) delta (Either date)
6) f8vr993 (Either date)

Guys, I'd like to remind all respondants that we do need comment on the date preferred; with the exception of those who can make either date, the majority will be the deciding factor.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by nine9six; 10-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Update...

So far the list for tie rod pinning is as noted below:

1) nine9six (Either date)
2) For202Fly (Either date)
3) windydog (No date mentioned)
4) LuckyJ (No date mentioned)
5) delta (No date mentioned)
6) f8vr993 (Either date)

Guys, I'd like to remind all respondants that we do need comment on the date preferred; with the exception of those who can make either date, the majority will be the deciding factor.

Cheers,
Paul
I'm good for either date...thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM
delta
7th Gear

Either date is fine with me.

Thank you
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 PM
nine9six
Banned

Thanks gentlemen...I updated the list status in post #22.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Update...
Received the tool from Andy on Sat...

Package consisted of two sharp, high grade HSS 5/16 drill bits, 7 roll pins, and of course, the tool...
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Okay - We have the tool, pins are coming so things are looking good. I say we wait it out a little longer before we finalize the date.

Paul - FYI - f8vr993 is Stefan, who already did the tie rod pinning. He's just coming for moral support (and drinking beer which he's good at!)

Any other takers for tie rod pinning? Any one can stop by to hang too. We've got room.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the date confussed, they are coming in this week.

So either date is good by me!

Thanks!

Last edited by windydog; 10-21-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: wrong date
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Halcyon
Racer

oooo... not so sure if I need the pin rod, but i would think adding a pin won't make much difference when i'm driving mostly around downtown, so I prob don't need it right? and I have no idea of my schedule yet for either dates so don't put me down for anything, but i hope I'll be free, so i'll come down for c&c and just chill if you guys dont mind
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon
oooo... not so sure if I need the pin rod, but i would think adding a pin won't make much difference when i'm driving mostly around downtown, so I prob don't need it right? and I have no idea of my schedule yet for either dates so don't put me down for anything, but i hope I'll be free, so i'll come down for c&c and just chill if you guys dont mind
You don't NEED, it, but there is no reason not to either. It is a cheap mod, and DOES make the steering more responsive. It is your choice, but I would recommend doing it.

Quick Reply: Another C&C and tie-rod pinning party in OC, CA