Sponsored by:

New battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Interstate MTP-91, fits well and vent connection is in the correct location.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:53 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did changing batteries become so complicated?

Has 'search' broken down again?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
I assume that with regular batteries, the vent hose (properly installed) alleviates concerns about acid damage (or do you use a mat underneath).
The vent hose's primary purpose is to vent explosive gases outside of the enclosed luggage compartment, should gassing during charging occur. AGM and GEL batteries can gas also.

I use a battery mat under and on top of my battery (the latter should a cap not be tight and the battery is gassing). I've never had a battery leak in over 35 years of vehicle ownership though.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by x50type
I was thinking the same thing, but obviously it is considering the very short battery life most owners are getting. Another 3 days to go for my battery's 15th birthday.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The vent hose's primary purpose is to vent explosive gases outside of the enclosed luggage compartment, should gassing during charging occur. AGM and GEL batteries can gas also.

I use a battery mat under and on top of my battery (the latter should a cap not be tight and the battery is gassing). I've never had a battery leak in over 35 years of vehicle ownership though.

I just put one of these in mine last week. No reason, just thought it was a good idea.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too use the "Battery Mat". As for the battery...some of you may have heard me talk about my Sears Die Hard International...installed 2/2002. It sits on a Deltran maintainer when I'm not driving. I just took it off the maintainer for (3) weeks...to be sure it can still 'hold' a charge...fired right up. At some point I'll get another one of those!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Alex, 15 years on a battery........and still going strong. Awesome!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, but obviously it is considering the very short battery life most owners are getting. Another 3 days to go for my battery's 15th birthday.
holy crap...and I thought I was special with 12 years...

I assume you keep yours on a maintainer as well?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dryfly57
Alex, 15 years on a battery........and still going strong. Awesome!
The one in my mom's previous car was 16 years old when she sold the car. I know it lasted at least 18 years till I lost contact with the owner.

Both that one and the one in my daily driver Honda are made by Panasonic, factory supplied to the manufacturer only, unfortunately.

Since year ten, I've done a load test every two years and it passes. If it starts my car when it is -25F outside, it is good enough for me.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Allen
I assume you keep yours on a maintainer as well?
Nope, its never been on a maintainer or charger of any kind.

Except for being parked for 4 to 6 weeks a year, it is my daily driver. Charging system is spot on at 14.4V which I check twice a year.

Here are another couple of Sears DieHard batteries. Although it is on my battery list, I couldn't find a pic of the one you mentioned.

Take a close look at the casings and I'd bet they (Duracell, Sears) are all made by East Penn.

The Sears DieHard Gold (conventional) - Group 48 battery...

It looks like they cheaped out and didn't include the fold-away battery handles.

The Sears DieHard Advanced Gold - AGM - Group 48 battery...

My East Penn 648MF - Group 48 battery...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
I've been reading up on replacing the battery on my 5 series, as I think it will be coming due in the near future...

Alex, what do you make of all this BMW coding and reprogramming, (post #10 in the link)? Do you think it really can affect the 'sophisticated' electronics?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=699749
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul M
Alex, what do you make of all this BMW coding and reprogramming, (post #10 in the link)? Do you think it really can affect the 'sophisticated' electronics?
I highly doubt it. Good electronics should have reverse polarity and over-voltage/surge protection.

I wasn't aware that BMW took charging to such a high level/extent.

It exists in chargers, the Zantrex TrueCharge 2 chargers for example. You can select AGM, GEL, Pb-Ca and the programmed microprocessor has the appropriate charge algorithm. In fact, you can even hook up a thermocouple to that charger to monitor battery temperature to make sure it does not get overcharged.

An alternator's voltage regulator is available with different voltage set-points and then it'll even have a TC slope, for example -14 mV per degree C. So the user is the microprocessor...in that you can pick the voltage regulator for the battery type.

Check out this Bosch voltage regulator list. Note the Vsetting and TC values for the various voltage regulators.

Here is a pic of an AGM battery graveyard...guess where? Those are 6T AGM batteries found in military vehicles (tanks, etc)The ultra hot climate and incorrect charge algorithm are doing these in.

Quick Reply: New battery