993 Forum 1995-1998

Great Selling Experience With LA Dismantlers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Default Great Selling Experience With LA Dismantlers

Well, I guess some people do spring cleaning, this year, I decided to do a fall cleaning of the garage, and purge myself of some spare 993 car parts laying around.

I tired the eBay route. Kind of frustrating, slow, expensive, and some glitches in their system makes a few things hard to do for an inexperienced seller. The worst parts of eBay are the fees. Listing fees. Final selling price fees. PayPal fees. In the end, you pay out fees in excess of 15% of your selling price.

Yes, you can sell stuff here on Rennlist, I know that, and have done so successfully. I was just looking for other, and additional, options.

So, on this past Thursday morning, I decided to try and sell my parts to either LA Dismantlers or Oklahoma Foreign. Not knowing if they even do this sort of thing (buy parts, I thought they only sold to the public) I emailed pictures to their web sites, and followed up with phone calls.

I quickly realized that OK Foreign does not play ball this way.

I also quickly realized that LA Dismantlers DID have interest, and by Thursday night I had an agreed selling price, shipping arrangements, and payment agreement. By Friday night, the parts were on their way to California via FedEx.

The person I dealt with at LA Dismantlers was Caleb. He was very professional, knowledgeable, prompt with his follow-up, and made the whole process very easy and painless.

So, I suggest if you have some 993 parts that you want sell, and have a reasonable expectation on their value, reach out to Caleb, and see if you can have the same positive experience that I had.

His contact info:

Caleb
LA Dismantlers
info@ladismantler.com
818-767-7243
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

At the prices they sell things for, it is no surprise they can afford to buy parts on the open market.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
At the prices they sell things for, it is no surprise they can afford to buy parts on the open market.
Hi Ed, I think you are confusing their listing price with their actual selling price. I have no clue what they actually sell stuff for. Maybe you do. I don't know.

You should see the price my company charges for products as compared to our raw material costs.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm not begrudging making a profit, I just know they are at the upper end of the price spectrum. But, you are correct, this could be a selling avenue for some.

On a side note, I also know of people who got much less than stellar customer/warranty support from them, while paying top dollar, so for that reason, I would not do business with them in any way.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
But, you are correct, this could be a selling avenue for some.
Thank you, Ed. Great point. And exactly the reason for starting my post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

To the OP, did you offer up the parts here on RL first. I'd be curious to know what were the items you sold to them and the price they paid. Would make for a great reference point.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
To the OP, did you offer up the parts here on RL first. I'd be curious to know what were the items you sold to them and the price they paid. Would make for a great reference point.
I did, in a very passive way. Maybe my mistake, but I suffer from being a very impatient person, and I just wanted to get this project done and move on. Like many people, I just have bigger fish to fry right now. Also, on a couple items, my timimg just sucked and Rennlisters were covered.

Like I said, it is very hard to beat selling parts here on Rennlist. Safe, easy, ....the list goes on.

But, for me, doing what I did in a matter of 24 hours, it was so much better than eBay.

Again, it's just another avenue. One I did not know existed before Thursday. And I wanted to share.

For some Rennlisters, who are not Members (for reasons I can't imagine why, so much value for the $18/year) they can't sell stuff here, so this may be a way to give them an idea.

I'm sending you a PM, too.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

LAPD is happy to buy stuff, mark it up at least 500% and all the while offer incredibly poor shipping practices and customer service, unless face-to-face.

That, in a nutshell, is their reputation here on Rennlist
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default L.A.P.D.

I have bought 3 different pcs from them. All over $1k each. Way below what I could have bought them for from anywhere, inc Sport Seats.
Caleb was the person I dealt with.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have dealt with them many times and they are good people, and I have always been treated fairly. If their price is too high for me, I pass; I don't bitch at the price. If you decide not to deal with them that is your prerogative. If you believe they charge too much, just don't buy from them, and move on. No reason to bash them in a public forum because of a bad experience. In the final analysis any "bad" transaction involves a "bad" decision on the part of the buyer, whether it's LAPD or any other seller.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you're talking about selling experience, but I had great buying experience with them at a very good price. They shipped the wrong item once, but had good communication and they shipped the good one without any fee.

Good to know they can buy parts, thanks for the info!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

All one need to is search the Rennlist archives or Google about LAPD to read about many horror stories about their service and shipping debacles.

People on RL have long memories about the poor treatment LAPD has given them. Many on here will never buy from them because they have a less than stellar, and well deserved, poor reputation.

Caveat emptor.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Exactly.

There are probably a couple of people who got lucky with Motor Meister too.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Positive

Well you can add me to the list of people that has had a positive experience with LA Dismantlers....

I had a part, they asked what I wanted, they counter offered, I countered and a deal was struck....pretty stress free and straight forward, no hardball or BS back and forth etc... I would deal with them again.

They are a business, they have a massive facility, have to track all their stuff, advertise and more. So of course their stuff may not be the cheapest one can source after days of scrubbing the web. That said, they are a hell of a lot cheaper then buying new, have what you need now, found them to be very responsive (also dealt with Caleb) and unlike some high risk web purchases when you gotta cross your fingers and hope it arrives, when it does hoping it works and as described....felt like with them they are a real biz (as they are a company) and a bit more on the hook to make sure things are as advertise.

Anyway, real good experience here.... would recommend without a question.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I've only bought minor interior parts from them but the price was right, parts were as advertised, and delivery was quick.

Quick Reply: Great Selling Experience With LA Dismantlers