993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013 | 09:21 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ssuh;10797350]Suction cup to the clock with about half of my phone above the dashboard is very comfortable for me and keeps my eyes on the road most of the time.

+1 my phone has a clock so no loss of clock
Old 10-01-2013 | 06:08 PM
Bill48
Rennlist Member

Default More Photos of my Smartphone/GPS Set-up

Here are some more photos of the set-up in my car.

My goal was to equip my daily driver with a modern touchscreen communications management interface … for Nav, Phone, Music, and Internet Radio, affordably, via my smartphone. For this to work for me, I wanted the phone in an ideal driver location for easy touchscreen interaction. For Nav, I like to see the maps and miles to the next turn and whether it’s left or right. For music playlists and internet radio, I like visual access to quickly launch my favorites from a menu without getting distracted from driving. For phone, I rely on voice commands.

Name:  (1) Full Dash Perspective with Droid 3 (Car Dashboard Pro app).jpg
Views: 977
Size:  132.6 KB

Name:  (2) Droid 3 (Full Dash) B.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  (3) Droid 3 open app (cropped).jpg
Views: 661
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  (4) Droid3 (Side View).JPG
Views: 665
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  (5) iPhone 5 (Blank Screen).jpg
Views: 732
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  (6) Garmin Nuvi  GPS.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  181.3 KB

I really like the digital speedometer on my dashboard app (Car Dashboard Pro). It even has a feature that flashes a yellow, then red border around the display when I slip above the speed limit. This is very cool for trips around our town where the cops are especially vigilant. Google Maps seems to know all the speed limits on our local roads.

With my installation, I was a little concerned that I was blocking the radio --- but not really, I just reach behind the smartphone and operate the ***** and buttons by feel, just like I do with the A/C controls. Actually, as it turns out, I never seem to use the radio. I leave it on AUX all the time and run everything off the touchscreen.

I included a couple of photos of a mounted iPhone 5 and a Garmin Nuvi.

Like everybody here, I did not want to drill any holes or use surface marring adhesives in my mounting setup and I wanted it to look clean and “Porsche worthy.” The textured powder coating on the PCAR MOUNT nearly matches the grain in the instrument housing panel covering.

Bill
Old 10-01-2013 | 06:45 PM
ssuh
Track Day

To remedy the poor ergonomics with regards to the radio, I purchased a Sony BT head unit that allows full control with your handset (IOS/Android) via BT. This allows me to control everything on the radio with my handset including NAV, Pandora, and iHeartRadio. I then used an inductive charging pad below my ebrake so that my handset rests just above it and charges without connectors and wires.

Unless I really need to use the GPS, the handset rests below the ebrake (now it gets charged up as well). A Nokia wireless charging pad (Qi compliant) is used. Please note that it takes about 3X longer to charge my handset, YMMV.

This type of charging solution might also work great with the PCAR Mount as it will slow down the wear/tear on your USB connector and make it easier and quicker to dock. The only drawback that I see is that you might be using more power with your GPS/NAV than the inductive charging provides.
Old 10-01-2013 | 09:40 PM
ssuh
Track Day

Default Mount-Tek CD

I decided to improve on the location of my handset and found that this holder does a great job wedged between the dash and the middle vent. It does not obstruct any controls and it keeps the handset perfectly in my periphery. The mount can rotate the handset in both landscape and portrait which allows me to use video capture software while driving (or even real-time streaming with Qik, Ustream, Livestream, etc...) as the camera from your handset will be about 6" above your dash in portrait mode.

The shim is intended to go into the CD tray, but works extremely well in the small space between the dash and the top of the middle vent. Removal is extremely easy and scar-free. The mount is very solid and I cannot think of a better place for my handset, especially in GPS/NAV mode while driving.

I am happy to share this as a great GPS mount solution. I have gotten so much out of this forum and feel good about posting this one for others to benefit.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ssuh; 10-01-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add Images
Old 10-01-2013 | 11:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm not keen on mounting anything on or near my air vents. That cannot be good for long.

The Pcar mount seems perfect for those that need a GPS mount. I run Sirius on my phone, and it is cabled into the back of the radio. So, when I want to listen to audio, it's right at hand.

Quick Reply: GPS mount