Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bosch KTS 301 Hammer / Porsche 9288 Diagnostic tool

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Jonttt
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bosch KTS 301 Hammer / Porsche 9288 Diagnostic tool

Those of you who follow my journal on 911uk may have already read this and I would not normally copy a post onto here but as part of my research there seemed to be very little recent information about these diagnostic tools on rennlist (unless I'm searching wrong) and no pictures of the units various parts so I thought it worthwhile posting seperately.......

nb you can scroll down from this page on my journal to see the full posts about this to date and I do plan to do a full software comparison to the diagnostic software I have.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=821...=asc&start=360

I admit I went into this blindly and got lucky in buying the right thing so bear with me and hopefully my exploits will help others ;-)

extract from my journal..... (ps if anyone has an electronic copy of the actual user manual it would be much appreciated ;-)

A bit more playing around with the Bosch "Hammer" today so I understand exactly what I have got in terms of hardware before I get to playing with the software....

the Bosch KTS 300 series of diagnostic testers (also known as a 9288 in Porsche documentation) were usually fitted with generic software modules that can be used to test basic functions of many makes of car including Porsches. However Porsche dealerships were supplied with special versions KTS 301 which had Porsche specific software modules fitted. These were much more expensive (c£4000 18 years ago ) but could carry out many more diagnostic tests than the generic modules.

The last of the KTS Porsche software modules was version 8.1 dated 1995. This covered models including the 928, 944, 968, 964 and 993.

Up to and including the early 993's the connection for the car was a round socket (19 pin) connector. Later 993's had the upgraded rectangular connectors. There are therefore 2 types of connection leads with either a round or rectangular (for later 993's). They are both interchageable.

My unit has the Porsche specific software module version 8.0 dated 10/1995 and has the later Porsche 993 rectangular connection lead. I could source the older round connection lead to allow the unit to be used on 928, 944, 968, 964 and older 993 models.

The only other consideration is that the units have a built in rechargeable battery. I'm not sure if the units came with a separate charger but it appears they can be recharged when plugged into the car which takes about 8 hours. When I plugged mine in it initially stated that the battery required recharging but after 1 minute worked fine including the display light (which can be turned on / off). This leads me to believe that the unit simply requires the batteries to be fitted and capable of holding some charge rather than being fully charged to work. I can only think the benefit of battery power is the ability to review error codes when disconnected from the car :dont know:

The unit is very simple to take apart to access both the rechargeable battery and software module. There is simply a rubber cover which pulls away to reveal access points for the battery cover and the software module in the side of the unit.....

The Porsche specific software module (nb the 928 refers to the model series 9288 and not a Porsche 928)....

Which simply pushes in / out of the side of the unit....

The original Bosch battery was in great condition physically ie no sign of any leaks.....

It is simply a pack of x6 Ni-Cd AA 7.2v rechargeable batteries which have 2.88mm spade connectors.

OCD would dictate that this should be replaced especially as battery technology has come a long way in 18 years. Fortunately these packs are standard in the model car industry albeit with different connector blocks which can easily be replaced with 2.88mm spade connectors :thumb:

I have ordered one of these for £3 delivered :bandit:

with spade connectors fitted it should look like this....

Not only do I get a new battery for little money / effort but it will last several times longer than the original battery would have when new due to the more advanced NI-MH technology.

Its obvious the unit is in very good condition and has virtually the last version of the Porsche specific software installed. It is worth noting that these units are very robustly built obviously with heavy workshop use / abuse in mind.

The connections cable to the car is c3m in length and well protected. It is presumably designed to allow you to walk around the car with it plugged in whilst testing eg I quickly tested the high and low oil cooler fan speed whilst stood next to the fan in the drivers front wing so you can hear it easily shift speed at the touch of a button.

All in all I'm very chuffed with it. They are not cheap but the way I look at things like this you can always resell for what you pay for them so they don't really cost you anything they just tie up capital in them. I love playing with gadgets so I'm glad I've picked one of these up to help me learn about my 993 over winter :wink:

ps of course you should do your research before buying but sometimes you have to take a flyer when time does not allow research ! Looks like I got away with it this time and got the perfect unit for my car, phew 8)

EDIT: I have now got my hands on the manual for the device. Its actually contained in the 993 workshop manual - under section D for diagnosis of all places :hand:
It appears one of the buttons is used to "store" screenshots at any time which can later be recalled even when not connected to the car. So the rechargeable battery is presumably required to facilitate this assuming RAM is used which requires a constant power supply ;-)

The manual can be downloaded by clicking ......

Operating Instructions

Manual - Bosch Hammer - System Tester 9288 - Operating Instructions - extracted 993 Workshop Manual

More to following in a few weeks as a winter project will be a full software review and comparison to scantool.......
The following users liked this post:
No_snivelling (11-06-2020)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Jonttt
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 11 Posts

ps as an update I have confirmed that JDS Porsche in the UK sell accessories for this units as follows :

The software module is £210
The charger is £40
The 19 way round lead is £75

prices plus tax and shipping

http://www.jdsporsche.com/diagnostic%20FAQ.html
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned much of what I know from this thread - bit more info can be found here ---> http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...long-pics.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bosch KTS 301 Hammer / Porsche 9288 Diagnostic tool