Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Where are the best places to buy a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Where are the best places to buy a 993?

I'm not usually on the 993 forum. I was a long time ago but not lately. I owned a new '96 C4S then a '98 C2 cab but then was succumbed to Porsche marketing and got the new 996, 997 and now 991. And thanks to wonderful German engineering I thought each new car was better then the one before. But now I'm missing the 993. I want to get a nice NB or WB, low miles, sorted out car for weekends and Porsche club trips, etc. Yes, the dreaded garage Queen. I love the looks of the 356 and really wanted one but I don't like driving them. The oldest car I see myself enjoying is a 993 and prefer NA but would consider a nice TT.

I know it's a lot of work or luck finding just the right car and it can take a while. Where are the best places to find a nice 993? Porsche club, ebay, rennlist, Samba, craigslist...? TIA
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Difficult to answer. I would say that on average you'll find a higher %age of "enthusiast owned" 993s on RL as opposed to venues like CL, but then again sometimes CL finds can be golden b/c the ads don't get the same exposure as RL and can be priced more competitively. Fleabay seems to return the highest volume of crap cars but that's not to say that gems cannot be found there, either. I'm a PCA member but have never browsed their classifieds. I don't peruse Autotrader too much, either. If I had to pick one as the best source for quality 993s, I'd choose RL.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

cars.com is a good source as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

agree on that there is no one source that beats the others.. i think it really depends on what your goals are. PCA is a good option if you want something fully taken care of and updated - same with rennlist, pelican, etc - the enthusiasts.

personally for me i used autotrader.. i found a 2 owner, California garage kept car - i was ready and wanted to modify a bit to get it to where i wanted, so a little work on worn out parts (suspension, brakes, etc) was my goal.

I would recommend using all and you will find your car as long as you sprinkle some patience on top

phil.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Where are the best places to find a nice 993?
Here
Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

the reality is, check them all and check them frequently. i was checking RL, CL (through Searchtempest - search and use if you haven't), ebay, cars.com and autotrader.com every day and multiple times. it nearly becomes a full-time job. good luck in your search and know the deal you want when you see it - market is super competitive right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I actively used about 12 sites and found mine at Global Autosports. The PCA website is pretty good and of course here. I like some of the other major dealer sites, but lately no prices are posted, which concerns me (sort of like here - forum rules are you must post an asking price else it's a fishing expedition).
Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Monkey Brain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found mine on PCA. Happened to be local as well. Bonus.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

forgot pca. good suggestion. i was checking there too.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

I set an account on autotrader to email me when a car meeting my parameters came up for sale. Finally found one this spring. I've never loved driving a car so much...until now. Since I wasn't in a hurry I just waited until the right car found me. I should add the right seller too. Fellow rennlister.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Great advice guys. I'm going to take my time too and search all the above. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I'd need to do all the things mentioned.

The local Porsche dealer four miles from work got mine on a trade.

Easy peasey...
Old 09-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
Difficult to answer. I would say that on average you'll find a higher %age of "enthusiast owned" 993s on RL as opposed to venues like CL, but then again sometimes CL finds can be golden b/c the ads don't get the same exposure as RL and can be priced more competitively. Fleabay seems to return the highest volume of crap cars but that's not to say that gems cannot be found there, either. I'm a PCA member but have never browsed their classifieds. I don't peruse Autotrader too much, either. If I had to pick one as the best source for quality 993s, I'd choose RL.
More than difficult, given the information, I would say nearly impossible.

What defines "best"

Low mileage? What is low? Under 50k? Less? More
Completely stock? Upgrades? If so, what is acceptable, what is not?

Suspension? Shocks? Wheels? Interior? Stereo? HIDs?
Or are you looking for a track car? What are your objectives for the car? Strictly street? Some DE? Some combination of street and track?

If it is a commuter car, is a tip acceptable?

For low mileage, pure unmolested cars, Truspeed usually has a nice inventory, but will also carry a premium.

If mileage doesn't matter too much and you don't mind a few "accepted" mods, then I would start with RL classifieds, in addition to autotrader.com

If you want to accept a bit more risk, ebay

What is your timeframe? Are you in a rush? Gotta have it next week? What is your budget? Are you willing to take a car that needs some work and put some effort and $ in to it, or does it need to be a perfect condition example with zero issues?

Good luck with your search. If you are in no rush, cars come up right here periodically, and are typically known quantities, but always do a PPI.

Word of mouth an also be an avenue. Let local shops know what you are looking for, sometimes a customer is thinking about selling, but needs to know tha PT there is a market for their current car.

I got my 911 SC, that way, great car, customer didn't have it listed, was just kind of hanging on to it, trying to figure out what to do with it. BTW, that was probably my best P- car purchase.

Last edited by Kika; 09-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

With the power of filters, auto mailers, and the internet. Why would you limit you search to one or a few sources? Rennlist, pelican, 6-speed (though 993 seems to have found a strong home on rennlist).

Google and search is your friend, put the power of the internet to work for you. There are also some well advertised reseller/dealers/collectors (Sloan, Willhoit, Canepa, RPM, etc.) with 993 focus, but YMMV and you will not find a bargain with them, but it is a source.

PCA mart and Excellence too.

And you will start to see same cars show up in multiple places.

Enjoy the chase and PPI before writing the check. Welcome to the machine.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

I am thinking OPO's warehouse is the best place if you could persuade him to sell

Quick Reply: Where are the best places to buy a 993?