Sponsored by:

CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default CEL

Well after almost 3 years of ownership I finally get the dreaded CEL on my way home today. Car runs great so not sure what it might be. Will get the code read this weekend and report back. Hopefully its not going to cost too much to sort out. If its just a sporadic fault will it reset itself within a period of time?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Even if it's a random fault, it will still require you to reset/clear the CEL with a OBDII reader. Post the code once you get it scanned. I ended up buying one when I got my first CEL last year and keep it on hand just in case. At least you'll know what you're up against ~ and if it's minor, you can clear it on the fly (SAI codes for example).
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
Even if it's a random fault, it will still require you to reset/clear the CEL with a OBDII reader. Post the code once you get it scanned. I ended up buying one when I got my first CEL last year and keep it on hand just in case. At least you'll know what you're up against ~ and if it's minor, you can clear it on the fly (SAI codes for example).
Not necessarily. Some codes will clear themselves after a few starts/runs w/out the error, the error will still show up in the history but it won't trigger the CEL (unless it returns). It's still a good idea to read the codes so you know what your dealing with.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer buddy. Hopefully it's just a little hickup.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Not necessarily. Some codes will clear themselves after a few starts/runs w/out the error, the error will still show up in the history but it won't trigger the CEL (unless it returns). It's still a good idea to read the codes so you know what your dealing with.
Bill is correct. The code can clear itself if the triggering conditions were transient and have gone away. Get the code read while it is still active, just so you know what you are dealing with. Cheapie readers are $30. I wouldn't clear it until I knew what it was, and then I'd wait a bit to see if it will clear itself.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:02 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FabianS
Bummer buddy. Hopefully it's just a little hickup.
A hiccup is exactly what I would use to describe as the event to throw a CEL on a fully warmed up slow moving and running car about once a year. Was your choice of the word intentional? I can't figure out what causes this on rare specific situations like driving slowly but non lugging in a parking lot looking for a space.

Quick Reply: CEL