Originally Posted by doublecabmel
They aren't making any more air cooled Porsches
Shhhhhh!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
Good question....normally I also bite my tongue and do not post; guess it was just a Pavlovian response to seeing one more in a recent cornucopia of valuation threads. Nothing wrong with them, just signifies a tipping point to me on how a certain subset of the RL population now views these rides....more as a balance sheet item than a piece of machinery. To be expected when an investment focused class enters what was more of an enthusiast's realm. As context, the early911Sregistry and Pelican have had the same topic frequency as it relates to the longhoods for quite some time.

All's good....and respect to the OP
excellent post. I see the same and its sad.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
Good question....normally I also bite my tongue and do not post; guess it was just a Pavlovian response to seeing one more in a recent cornucopia of valuation threads. Nothing wrong with them, just signifies a tipping point to me on how a certain subset of the RL population now views these rides....more as a balance sheet item than a piece of machinery. To be expected when an investment focused class enters what was more of an enthusiast's realm. As context, the early911Sregistry and Pelican have had the same topic frequency as it relates to the longhoods for quite some time.

All's good....and respect to the OP
not everyone looking for a WB right now is in 'balance sheet' mode. i won't get into my entire history, but i'm a previous RSA, 928, '67 911 owner and current 997S owner. my first car, at the age of 17, was a 914. i have owned some great cars - e36 M3 LTW, '88 M3, '95 M3, '88 M5, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant, not to mention several ducatis, ktms, bmws, etc. - and have a great car right now in the 997, but i decided to get into a 993 WB before it was potentially too late. the market is literally crazy right now, but the buy-ins are still somewhat acceptable and i doubt they will ever be that much better. this isn't like ferrari frenzy of the 80s and 90s, which has the potential to implode. i see this as safe money, so i'm jumping in now. current owners should be thrilled at these conditions and know that you have something with nice equity at this point. some cars get to the point where speculators are attracted - we're at that point with the 993 WBs. look where longhoods are today. i know i wish i would have kept my '67 now. it needed a full resto, but it would have been well worth it today. i'm certainly not saying you're wrong with your statements, but some of us are still coming in for the machinery and the experience.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

^^ +1 i intend to drive the wheels off mine like Ferdinand intended LOL
I dont think the reality is specific to just the WB's. Check out the following link, in all my years of searching Autotrader i have never seen this type of ad.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...howcpo=ShowCPO
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

this is the other issue, buyers are not just competing with other individual buyers out there for these cars, the smaller, boutique dealers are also trying to pick them up for their inventories. the market only has so many nice WBs at a time and people will have to consider the privateer dealers and the premium in price that that brings. i have watched several WBs sell and/or have deposits put down on them within hours. it's almost frustrating to be buying right now. look at the guy who might buy the Arena WB in minnesota, he put a deposit down within minutes of the ebay auction going live. as someone (and probably many) has said, they ain't makin' any more of 'em.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmd4
The ebay one has me surprised though.A close to 100k c4s for almost 50k.....and thats not asking price,thats where the bidding is at....and auctions not even over.Not even a more rare 98 with lots of options or hardbacks.
I was looking forward to seeing this auction run it's course. That ain't happening. Seller pulled the ad. From ebay ad:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available

So let the speculation began about the $ amount the buyer decided to let someone just have it.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

All this just cycles through. 993TTs were so hot 18 to 24 months ago that it was impossible to find decent cars at a good price. Now, the inventory is a bit looser and will probably tighten up again. You just need to have the cash set aside and be ready.

In reality, there just needs to be one more buyer than cars for sale to frustrate buyers. Be patient and the right car will come along.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
this is the other issue, buyers are not just competing with other individual buyers out there for these cars, the smaller, boutique dealers are also trying to pick them up for their inventories. the market only has so many nice WBs at a time and people will have to consider the privateer dealers and the premium in price that that brings. i have watched several WBs sell and/or have deposits put down on them within hours. it's almost frustrating to be buying right now. look at the guy who might buy the Arena WB in minnesota, he put a deposit down within minutes of the ebay auction going live. as someone (and probably many) has said, they ain't makin' any more of 'em.
Yes, 100% true. Between the private parties and dealers actively chasing the same cars, it is a very difficult market for the "unwashed masses." Recently I've lost out on a few NB cars and was becoming extremely frustrating. However, I MAY have FINALLY FINALLY hooked one that meets all the criteria.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
This has been the case for many years. I got my 4S in May of 2010, after a short and horrible 5 months of searching. Multiple cars were graciously rennfaxed by generous members here, in NV, CA, and WA. The vast majority of cars always seemed to be on the left coast, or at the very least a hell of a long way from my home in Central New York. Of course, three years ago, a driver quality WB could be found in the mid thirties. Seems that even the lowly 4S is starting to match the 2S in value and status...for lack of a better word. For the most part, by the time I saw the ad on-line, on the PCA website, etc...when I called the car was gone.

I was the first to contact a dealer in Mass. on an AR/B 4S, heated HB's, very nicely optioned, euro turbo nose, 60K miles, one owner local trade, etc...Car was advertised at $34K. I awaited pics to be sent on the car, instead of immediately doing what Chris did with the 4S in Minn, and put a deposit down. A flipper bought it sight unseen, the next time they picked up the phone. Another rennlister eventually bought it from the flipper, and he was standing at the dealership when I called back to put a deposit down.

Originally Posted by chsu74
You just need to have the cash set aside and be ready.

In reality, there just needs to be one more buyer than cars for sale to frustrate buyers. Be patient and the right car will come along.
Definately have the funds ready to go, and realize that a bargain will still come along time to time. Secure the car with a modest deposit, or maybe a trusting owner will allow you right of first refusal after you do your due diligence.

I for one, am more than happy to see the value of my car rise. I was fortunate to have bought at a lower point of the market, and feel good that adding the miles I do won't adversely effect the value all that much. So, I bought a 4S with 63K miles, a dirty Carfax, with paintwork, that was(and is) in outstanding mechanical condition. I'm at 98K and counting, should break the magic 100K mile mark by the end of the season. To think that I could presumably get more for the car now, than when I bought it...even more than I have total into the car with the slippery slope mods...is awesome.

That means I can drive it more, without the fear of significant depreciation...right? That's why I enjoy all these valuation threads, but hey...never been called the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

Quick Reply: Hold onto your wide arses