Sponsored by:

Center Console Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Center Console Delete

I'm thinking about deleting the center console on my car, as part of the retro look mods that are in the plans.

Can you post some pictures of how your delete project ended up, specially what solutions you found for the shifter and e-brake area?

The OBD access point is another concern, as the front console will also be deleted.

The lower dash and door pockets will be gone as well, so no storage area will remain.

Alternatively, I'm thinking about keeping the center console, but trimming it right after the shifter, so I'll keep some storage area, and also address the e-brake and shifter issue. Any one did that?

Comments?

Thanks.
Rodrigo.

Last edited by Bola964; 09-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Bola964
Pro

Wink

As part of the Mods, I'll have a ducktail installed.
It was done by Gary Stratton, and it arrived today!
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too hope someone chimes in with pictures of their console deletes... I've been prepped to do this for some time, but would like to see a few more examples before I cut everything up.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

I had this all figured out with the exception of the e-brake. I just decided to leave it. I ordered the lower switch panel delete from Gert and the radio delete from Rennline. I'm going to move those three switches to where the radio was.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Bola964
Pro

1stgear,
I also order the lower dash and radio delete, both from rennline.
e-brake solution could be as simple as a leather cover/pouch, but my expectation with this thread was exactly see what other people had done it.
Let's see if some people show up.
I have a couple of pics that I collected over the years from the forum, but I don't want to post other people's pics w/o their consent.....
Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure if you give credit where due, people won't mind. After all, if they already posted them once before I would think the poster is OK with having them seen.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what singer did was the easiest and cleanest, just cut off the part in front of the shifter.

The e-brake area is tough. This winter I might try to bend an aluminum plate into the right shape.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bola964
Can you post some pictures of how your delete project ended up, specially what solutions you found for the shifter and e-brake area?
Here's one:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-makeover.html
Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Jarg1
Racer

I have started this process and would also like to see what people have done and how they've done it. I was looking at the Singer center consoles- wish they sold parts - and like the look, but have no idea how to replicate it. Anyone think a 911 part could be modified to work? Ideally I would have visible rubber bases for both the shift lever and emergency brake. I think the stock rubber shift lever base would work if I could clean up the surrounding area. But I am leaning towards a Rothsport shift lever, and don't see how the stock rubber base will still fit that.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Bola964
Pro

I just started the delete process. Will post pictures along the way.

Still trying to figure out the area around the rear wiper. The back cover delete exposes the electric motor and all the mechanism around it. Has anyone did a back cover delete in a car that had the rear wipers??

For the ebrake area, I was thinking about using a VW Bug rubber cover. See the picture below.

Another option that I considering, is to keep the center console, which would automatically solve the ebrake and shifter issue, and also help with a bit of storage space, as the lower dash delete, and RS panels have killed any storage solutions. However, besides keeping the center console, I am thinking about cutting it right in front of the shifter area, where the upper angle starts. That way I'm able to delete the front console. Has anyone done that too?

Cheers,
Rodrigo.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Jarg1
Racer

I just started the delete process. Will post pictures along the way.

For the ebrake area, I was thinking about using a VW Bug rubber cover. See the picture below.

Another option that I considering, is to keep the center console, which would automatically solve the ebrake and shifter issue, and also help with a bit of storage space, as the lower dash delete, and RS panels have killed any storage solutions. However, besides keeping the center console, I am thinking about cutting it right in front of the shifter area, where the upper angle starts. That way I'm able to delete the front console. Has anyone done that too?

Cheers,
Rodrigo.
The square base on the VW part looks useful, but the upper shape is odd, though maybe necessary to cover the rear section of the mounting bracket. I thought about picking up one of these just to see if it could be used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-park...-/151155937181 Maybe mount it to a plate and attach to the 4 bolts around the brake, then cover with new carpet?

Yes, I think cutting the stock console would work, but without further modification you will have a bit of a gap on the lower part of the front since it starts curving upwards just before that area. Personally I think the cleanest look would be boots on carpet with no other hardware.
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Jarg1
Racer

I continue working on the center console delete, and am a step closer to the final parking brake arrangement. I stripped a donor brake handle (thanks Chad aka 1stgear for providing the piece), and sanded and painted it and the mounting assembly. I'm still trying to work out what to use for a boot, and how to cover the turnbuckle.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Bola964
Pro

Nice job scott.
Please post a picture showing the entire area of the ebrake.
R.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Nice job scott.
Please post a picture showing the entire area of the ebrake.
R.
Here you go.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Unused bits

Would any of you console delete guys be willing to send me the front part of the center console that you cut off in front of the shifter? I will gladly pay for shipping.

The front bracket of my center console is broken and part of it is missing. If I can get a good bracket, I believe I can 'fix' my console.

Please send me a PM if you can help.

This is the part that I need:

Name:  993 console front bracket.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  112.5 KB

Quick Reply: Center Console Delete