Sponsored by:

Seat stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat stuck

One rod is moving. I put a screwdriver in the stuck rod, but there is no movement at all. Seat is all the back. Help!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under the seat you will find a threaded rod that connects to the front motor, use a pair of vise grips and clamp onto the threaded rod and turn it several times to loosen it, it worked on my 993 with the same issue.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Had same problem, twice..., same solution ...
jiggle and jaggle on the stocked one up to the moment it suddenly moves again ...
I didn't figured why exactly it happened but i just tried to avoid to go to the very end.
Coz there is no way to remove the seat if it gets stocked that way (except brutal force), i used this possibility as excuse to get bucket seats
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I have a bunch of seat parts (drive cables, seat motors, rails, etc) if you need any.

good luck getting it unstuck.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

I need a drive cable, i ruined one.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a nut you can get a crows foot on to manually move the seat
It is at the drive mechanism at the seat end

If it is stuck solid this is the way to free it up

It is very easy to unravel those cables... Sorry man
Hopefully quad has a spare
Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Success! Its moving, As suggested I used a vise grip, it was a little hard to get the vise grip under the seat and moving it up/down. Now i want to take the seat out I guess to examine the mechanism.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:37 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting how you solved it. Seats are easy to remove. Mine had part of the carpet stuck in the mechanism.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by avdwaal1
Success! Its moving, As suggested I used a vise grip, it was a little hard to get the vise grip under the seat and moving it up/down. Now i want to take the seat out I guess to examine the mechanism.
No need to remove the seat, this is a typical issue for all 993s, the trick is not to move the seat to extreme ends of the track, that's where the gears locks up.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by avdwaal1
I need a drive cable, i ruined one.
how long is it? I should have all lengths
Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
No need to remove the seat, this is a typical issue for all 993s, the trick is not to move the seat to extreme ends of the track, that's where the gears locks up.
I move my seats to extremes all the time when wrenching on my car, and they dont lock up. Maybe I'm must lucky that way...

Or,

He gonna need to remove the seat to replace the drive cable...It's six allen heads and an electrical plug, and should be done to try to assess the root cause for the stiction.

Personnally, I dont understnad ignoring a repair that begs for a resson why?

avdwaal1, when you put your seat back in, lightly and incrementally cinch up the allens while running your seat forward and backward (to the extreme in both directions). This helps align the tracks and negates potential track binding.
All the way back, (lightly snug the rears) All the way forward, (lightly snug the fronts). Repeat process one more time, and tighten the allens to their torque spec if there is one. Done.

MarkD posted the correct way to drive or unstick, the seat. THANKS MARK!

P.S. I clean and lithium grease my threaded drive rod, as well as the tracks, prior to executing the reassembly process of incrementally cinching the seat bolts.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by nine9six
I move my seats to extremes all the time when wrenching on my car, and they dont lock up. Maybe I'm must lucky that way...

Or,

He gonna need to remove the seat to replace the drive cable...It's four allen heads and an electrical plug, and should be done to try to assess the root cause for the stiction.

Personnally, I dont understnad ignoring a repair that begs for a resson why?

avdwaal1, when you put your seat back in, lightly and incrementally cinch up the allens while running your seat forward and backward (to the extreme in both directions). This helps align the tracks and negates potential track binding.
All the way back, (lightly snug the rears) All the way forward, (lightly snug the fronts). Repeat process one more time, and tighten the allens to their torque spec if there is one. Done.

MarkD posted the correct way to drive or unstick, the seat. THANKS MARK!

P.S. I clean and lithium grease my threaded drive rod prior to executing the reassembly process of incrementally cinching the seat bolts.
If you were at all familiar of the drive cable position you'd have known that the seats do not need to be removed to replace the cables.

Quick Reply: Seat stuck