Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 noise - collapsed lifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I'm currently fighting with lifter noise as well, what is the right way to check valve clearance? I know on the mechanical lifter cars its a simple feeler gauge check but I would think the hydraulics would be all over the place?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
Since I'm currently fighting with lifter noise as well, what is the right way to check valve clearance? I know on the mechanical lifter cars its a simple feeler gauge check but I would think the hydraulics would be all over the place?
The bottom line is that you can't, unless you have some special factory tools.

Practically speaking, one tracks down the source & location of the offending noise and if its from the rocker arm, you replace the lifter. Naturally, this is predicated on rockers, shafts and cam lobes in perfect condition.

Worn guides will also contribute to valve noise and the only fix there is replacement.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:01 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I have engine out at 97000 miles. Have not noticed noise. Should I replace lifters?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, they are probably getting near due, so if your budget can cover it you may want to do all of them.

If you are budget constrained, consider doing at least the top ones; they are harder to replace with the engine in. The bottom ones are relatively easy so they can be done later with engine in, if/when they fail.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Well, they are probably getting near due, so if your budget can cover it you may want to do all of them.

If you are budget constrained, consider doing at least the top ones; they are harder to replace with the engine in. The bottom ones are relatively easy so they can be done later with engine in, if/when they fail.
But the bottom ones are the ones likely to fail first.

I would just do all of them or at least take a couple out and check them out.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
So I have engine out at 97000 miles. Have not noticed noise. Should I replace lifters?
I would. Plus keep in mind, if you take any out to 'check them out' you'll likely be replacing that lifter since the o ring will likely destruct upon removal and nobody has found a source for o ring only.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
I would. Plus keep in mind, if you take any out to 'check them out' you'll likely be replacing that lifter since the o ring will likely destruct upon removal and nobody has found a source for o ring only.
That's good to know.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish the videos on the first page of this thread were still available. I like to hear what engines-needing-repair/maintenance sound like so I can compare to how my car sounds.

I have 87k miles, and have no record of valve-guides being replaced. Oil consumption is around 1 quart per 1000 miles. I'll bring the topic up with my mechanic next summer when it goes in for 90k service, but so far, whenever I've asked for his professional opinion on what needs to be done for preventive service, he's always said that it's a good example and runs well.

I have some money set aside for repairs, but am reluctant to start spending it on things that might not be a problem. I'd rather wait until there is a problem to be solved. Count my blessings - an honest mechanic, and money in the bank to pay him when necessary!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
I have some money set aside for repairs, but am reluctant to start spending it on things that might not be a problem. I'd rather wait until there is a problem to be solved. Count my blessings - an honest mechanic, and money in the bank to pay him when necessary!
This is probably a good strategy. My personality leans towards replacing everything that might go wrong, but I try to temper that especially when paying for the work to get done. When I'm doing it myself, it's easier to justify investing in "speculative" repairs.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
My opinion on Vinces car was based partly on his mileage and partly that his engine is already out. Even though your car has similar milage, I wouldn't do it either until one of them fails. Or until your engine comes out - whichever comes first. Sounds like you have a good indy though, I'd certainly defer to his advice over mine.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:53 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd -bizarrely - love to spend the money and get everything that might go wrong up to snuff, but that's not possible, financially. I wish I had the time, skills, and tools to do things myself. Oh well. I guess I'll just drive the car instead

Quick Reply: 993 noise - collapsed lifter