993 Forum 1995-1998

Radar detectors (yet again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I'm old enough that the last time I was stopped the officer apologized for bothering me and just asked that I slow it down a little. I like the gps mapping units that let you know where the speed traps and ticket cameras are. I walked away from radar detectors years ago. Must be working as I haven't had a ticket in years. Andy
Or your perception of 'speed' is slowing with age... I kid

You're right, I get about 90% of the useful functionality of a radar detector out of running the Waze app on my phone. I read a recent article that claims the ideal setup is to run Waze and a V1 for the directional awareness.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts
Smile "+X Put me in the sound like geezer group here too."

"+X Put me in the sound like geezer group here too. The false alarms creates to much anxiety for me. Most of our interstates (once you get out of town) are 70 -75 mph. I just put it on cruise plus 5 or 6 and never have a problem."

In a known "speed trap area, on Highway 101 between Paso Robles and San Miguel, the Highway Patrol work this big time. There is no center divider, enabling them to easily work both sides of the highway...I do 65 here.

I pretty much do the speed limit + 5 or 6 the rest of the time. I do have a Valentine 1, most of the time I don't even retrieve it and plug it in. I am thinking that 5 to 7 over is not enough revenue to be ticketed. There always seems to be a "rabbit" around to attract the attention of the cops.

And there are some spots on Highway 101, between Santa Barbara and Buellton where the false alarms are overwhelming.

In SoCal, on the Freeways, everyone, it seems, are doing 75 mph +, I just go with the flow....haven't had a ticket in years.

Back in the day, when speeding was more of a game, I had a scanner on the car + a Valentine 1. It was fun for a while, but then it got to be work....now I just geezer along, and when I have the need, the need for speed, I have the luxury of living in reasonable proximity to quite a few race tracks.

Quick Reply: Radar detectors (yet again)