Sponsored by:

Help!! - 993 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! - 993 Will Not Start

My first issue with the car and it sounds like the Start Relay however has anyone ever experienced shutting off the car and then it not starting, wil not turn over, just lights in the dash, turn he key and the driving lights dim but that's it.

1. Battery is fully charged.
2. I changed out the DME Relay (No Change)
3. I pulled the Start Relay but there is no way of knowing if it is defective unless you have another to put in it's place to try it which I didn't!!
4. Start Relay ordered - deliver on Tuesday next week. . .
5. Show-N-Shine Sunday

Any ideas on anything else to suspect?

Thanks
Lloyd
8-16
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

The original battery ground straps are known to cause issues (within the mechanical crimp at the battery post). If your 993 still has the bare wire ground strap, I'd consider installing a new one. I believe I paid around $10 a few years ago from Sunset.

Andreas
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lloyd, sorry to hear that, bud. Why is this happening on Friday afternoon's this summer? Two other folks posted no-starts on Fridays this summer.

Do you hear a click from the starter solenoid?

You're in luck if the Show n Shine is at your place!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Lloyd ..... shoulda hung up when you got it to start - I was ahead of the game at that point.

For more solid advice, hire a tow truck to get to the show & shine ...... fire trucks are more expensive & draw excessive attention.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

What and where is the Start Relay? Part number for it?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
What and where is the Start Relay? Part number for it?
Kurt,
Try googing "Location of starter relay for Porsche 993"

Without me even trying, I'll bet you get your answer

@ Lloyd
3. I pulled the Start Relay but there is no way of knowing if it is defective unless you have another to put in it's place to try it which I didn't!!
So much for one of the spare, "must carry items", no Porsche should be without.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Kurt,
Try googing "Location of starter relay for Porsche 993"

Without me even trying, I'll bet you get your answer

@ Lloyd
Found it - thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

I never or at least I can't remember ever starting my 993 with the lights on, but does the 993 use a "load shedding relay".
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
@ Lloyd
There are seven (7) identical relays in the CE panel [ grey, 4-pin, #53 on top] that can be the spare ..... pull the horn & swap, etc ---or use the horn location to test a suspected relay.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Thanks everyone,

I still have not found the source of the problem however I am narrowing the field. Garth, I like your suggestion of the Tow Truck however I am skipping the S-N-S maybe this was my way out. . . sure hard on the back though. . .
Do you know the location of the Clutch Switch Alex was referring to? I expect under the floorboard however I will do a search.
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, much appreciated and why I come here so ofter, hope I can return the favours in th future. . .
Cheers
Lloyd
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I never or at least I can't remember ever starting my 993 with the lights on, but does the 993 use a "load shedding relay".
Update: having checked the Porsche wiring diagrams that I have, the "start" position on the ignition switch only supplies power to the start circuit and turn signal circuit. Therefore there is no need for a load shedding relay as can be found on some motorcycles.

Sure enough, the lights went out when I started my car, so it is not an indication of a heavy current draw or a weak battery.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lcorkum
Do you know the location of the Clutch Switch Alex was referring to?
As mentioned in my e-mail, it is model-year dependent. My 1995 does not have that starter interlock feature.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Clutch microswitch is underneath the floorboard. It could be faulty or out of adjustment. Just by-pass it and jumper the two wires together.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lcorkum
Thanks everyone,

I still have not found the source of the problem however I am narrowing the field. Garth, I like your suggestion of the Tow Truck however I am skipping the S-N-S maybe this was my way out. . . sure hard on the back though. . .
Do you know the location of the Clutch Switch Alex was referring to? I expect under the floorboard however I will do a search.
Thanks for all the advice so far everyone, much appreciated and why I come here so ofter, hope I can return the favours in th future. . .
Cheers
Lloyd
Lloyd,
The clutch microswitch is not your problem( good suggestion, however unlikely related to the 'smoke' issue you experienced) .... but to test if one is installed in your car, press in the clutch and bump the starter as normal ( immobilizer off, etc). Now, repeat the exercise with the trans in neutral and clutch engaged .... if the starter solenoid bumps, you do not have a functional clutch switch ( & vise versa).

Back to your issue .... after swapping starter relays during our phone link last PM, the car started and ran as normal ... for mere 10's of seconds ( thusly my comment above about not hanging up the phone quickly enough) before smoke emanated from under the left side of the steering wheel.

The subsequent pics you emailed do not indicate any damage to the starter switch wire harness .... so please pull off the round multi pin connector and examine for damage: trusting that none will be found, my thoughts remain centered on a faulty ignition switch: the prior relay swap between horn & starter on the CE panel that resulted in the car starting was a merely fortuitous red herring - as both relays functioned in the horn slot! - ergo, the ignition switch.

To that end, I will have in my hands tomorrow a spare ignition switch and the special, micro mini Phillips ratchet tool required to remove such a switch!! ( setting up a Sporting Clays tomorrow AM with a buddy that has had too many switch failures in his '89 SC).
If one had a spare switch in hand, then by simply pulling the harness off your switch and plugging this spare in - one could test for starting by twisting it with a screwdriver while hanging under the dash, bypassing the existing switch. Use the key fob as normal to deactivate the immobilizer, and the car should start being none the wiser to this Rube Goldberg set-up.

If it starts & runs without clouds of smoke, use the ratchet to finesse the two screws out of the back side of the original switch ....... and install this spare.

Sound like a plan? If you have already solved this problem, tell me now before I go on to conclude something really stupid

Last edited by Garth S; 08-18-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
lcorkum
Advanced

Garth,

Thanks for all your wisdom! It worked, The spare switch you provided had me driving around the block with a huge smile on my face, I hate electrical issues, they can come from anywhere. Hopefully this is all there was to this but once we install the new one I ordered then we can test other circuits to make sure there is nothing amiss.

New switch will be in Wednesday at 3:00 according to Porsche of Halifax, if they are right I will be amused and happy and be on my way to the valley to donate my 993 for a couple of weeks exercise. Hope you enjoy it!!! Looks a lot like yours. . . . will drive as good soon with a couple of strategically placed pins!!!

Thanks everyone for all your interest and help to resolve this issue.

Cheers
Lloyd

PS: Nice Wheels Garth!!!

Quick Reply: Help!! - 993 Will Not Start