Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey '13 photo thread: Singer 911, Motorworks Revival, Concours, Laguna, PebbleB!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO

Another one of the Singer ..With Mr. Rob Dickinson.
the business plan was to build 2 or 3 per year, and now, bropblem (nice to have) : 40 on order !
Happily frazzled from the overwhelming interest in Singer, Rob humbly confided he's an artist, not a spokesperson. Since he's a well-known lead singer, etc., I replied he's now the successful front man of a new band. With a smile, he said Singer's planning to bring on someone to aid the public relations role. Stay tuned...
Originally Posted by JPP

Great show, huh? The guy's next to me in the 97 Arena NB coupe won First in class and deserved it.. $G993 won 2nd with his gorgeous Glacier over Chestnut 4S and I tied for 3rd with a stunning Turq Blau/Classic Grey S ..
Great statistic from a great show: 100% of the 993s in the competition won a trophy. Of course, the RLer's spectacular 959 that earned an award Tuesday went home with 1 from Legends, too
Originally Posted by pirahna

The 4S with chestnut interior was absolutely beautiful!
+993!
Originally Posted by SuperUser

That is amazing! but where are they going to find 40 964s?
Originally Posted by Cactus

+1! Maybe some of them already own the donor car?
I asked a similar question to Singer crew-member Dorian. He said almost all of their international orders include a donor car, which streamlines exporting the final product back out of the US.

About the only thing I forgot to ask Rob about: his previous mention of a Singer Speedster
Originally Posted by nr1416

Love this thread, keep the pics coming!!!
My pleasure; many more to follow: McCall's Jet Center Party, Baja Cantina, Legends, Porsche Zentrum's Exclusive party, Laguna Seca, Pebble Beach, etc. ...mostly from my camera. A few more from web news coverage, & I hope others reading this pitch in with their pics, too
Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

Those who can, please post pics here for those like Jason who can't make it to Monterey
Originally Posted by JDHertz11

Motherf$ckers!!!
Jason ^^ Your pink popped preppie Polo would've rocked Pebble...

...with a parrot

A no-kidding peg leg (you can't fake that!), dressed in an appropriately swashbuckling outfit to match

^^ Most of the above from fourpins.com.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget The Crazy Hats of Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance!
Originally Posted by Jalopnik.com

The Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is an opportunity for the wealthiest and most particular car enthusiasts in the world to show off their opulence.

It's one of those rare situations where a man with a leather-wrapped, chrome studded peg leg can pass by two gentlemen in seersucker suits complaining that "he won't take $12 million for it, no matter how many times I ask" with the "it" surely being some sort of pre-war machine with headlights as big as tea trays and more rich wood than a walk-in humidor.

Being neither wealthy or even that particular, we did our hilarious best to fit in.
^^ An alternate reality for most spectators.
More Pebble Passion for Fashion, then back to the cars!

I saw SO many cravats & French scarves!

Lamborghini's Valentino Balboni:

^^ Mostly from classicdriver.com
Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

McCall's Jet Center Party from web news coverage
AutoBlog.com's "2013 Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival:"
Originally Posted by autoBlog.com

The week of automotive events on California's Monterey Peninsula doesn't truly begin until the McCall Motorworks Revival kicks off. Put on by Gordon McCall, who is also the co-founder of The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering, the Revival brings together celebrities, food, wine, and many, many, many vintage vehicles and aircraft, all in the name of charity.

Our troops were on hand for last night's event, which saw plenty of folks arrive at the Monterey Jet Center in private aircraft, while some of the world's finest automakers showed off their latest and greatest products. Aston Martin was heavily represented, while a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, in Tuxedo Black and with French Racing Blue accents, captured the crowd's attention.

Meanwhile, the classic cars were numerous, with a Ferrari 275 GTB, a 1967 Ford GT40, Steve McQueen's old Jaguar XK-SS and more than a few Aston Martin DB5s. Photographer Drew Phillips was on hand to capture it all for an inside look.
993 Speedster with 1957 Denzel 1300 SS Roadster & Gulfstream executive jet

911 Reimagined by Singer with Aero L-39 Albatros

PPI Speed Design GmbH GTR Razor Coupe

1967 Ford GT40

^^ Photography © 2013 Drew Phillips / AOL
Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

incredible photos!
1) Whats the story with the E-Tracked bicycles from a few pages back? Motorcycle or bicycle?
2) The fashion pictures are a great photo editorial on the importance of cell phones to many
3) The men's fashion is good for some hard laughs
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

a 993 off today's ClassicDriver.com's "McCall Motorworks Revival: Kick-starting Monterey Week 2013" article!

Originally Posted by jmg3

Whats the story with the E-Tracked bicycle? Motorcycle or bicycle?
The E-Tracker's a "Vintage Electric Bicycle." Available in retro colors as delicious as a Dreamsicle with an electric range of 40 miles, it's by automotive artisan Michael Leeds, who lives in the Santa Cruz, CA, area. He's the designer behind the Blastolene brand, the air-cooled M1A1 Abrams-powered "Blastolene Special" which Jay Leno bought & renamed his "Tank Car," the similar "Indy Special," the PeterBilt-inspired "****'d Off Pete," etc.

I met him in Oct 2008 at a casual "Hot Rods By the Beach" car show near the Santa Cruz pier. He was with Big Bertha.

At the time, I didn't know it had a name. It didn't have any signs or 'sandwich-boards' with details, nor anyone standing next to it saying "This is mine, I made it, ask me about it." It was simply parked along other cars. All I knew was that it just had an amazingly powerful presence. However, the opposite was true of the designer: he did anything BUT make himself known. I was so amazed at this custom creation that was larger than life -- a car powered by a fire engine -- that I began thinking, how could I meet someone that might not be after attention but just loves the creative process of custom cars?

...I sank back into the crowd of onlookers, & began observing people instead of the creation. Eventually, I noticed one man doing the same thing. I slowly sauntered next to him & started a conversation. I hit gold: it was Michael Leeds, just taking in the joy that his work brings to like-hearted gearheads. Once he recognized our shared zeal, he shed his 'anonymous' persona & asked me to climb into the cockpit -- which was unlike anything I'd seen in my life.

Long story short: by the time we left, he had taken photographs of my wife & I behind Bertha's wheel, & proudly posed next to his masterpiece for a photo with me. I left wanting him to adopt me!!! (Still do.) There are so many amazing & inspiring people I've met in the 'car world' that I find myself saying, "I want to be him when I grow up," & Michael Leeds definitely qualifies.

Michael-- If you happen across this: BIG THANKS for your generosity & warmth that day. You & your artistic vision left a memory I'll never forget.

For more insight in this artist's abilities, check out his 'Motorcycle Art' subpage, the Blastolene 'Automotive Concepts' page, or just go to his homepage: MichaelLeedsStudio.com.

Likewise:
- OPB.org's 2005 "Blastolene Brothers" video
- Car and Driver's 2013 "The Brotherhood of the Blastolene: Mechanized Anarchy and the Men Behind It" article, with 122 photographs!

His E-Tracker:

Mr. Leeds in his workshop this year:

'Big Bertha' & 'The Blown Ranger,' 2013:

Our photos of Big Bertha in 2008:

^^ Last 2 photos are 'Jäger shots.' Others are from sources linked within or from artDuJour.org
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 AM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for the information! you deserve an award for your coverage!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

incredible photos!
Thanks! I just received an e-mail asking if I took some photos on earlier pages.
Usually if there's no photo credit ending a post then, yes, they're from my camera.

The fashion pictures are a great photo editorial on the importance of cell phones to many
...'cuz ya never know when the clubhouse will call & say the cars are gone & your tee time's back on
In the meantime you can text, talk, surf, snap pics, etc.

The men's fashion is good for some hard laughs
Ladies had some cute props, like purse doggies.
While mama texted, this Bichon Frise wore a custom Scuderia Ferrari race suit:

...which it also modeled last year!

^^ Photos from eGarage.com
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink "6-pack abs"

men's fashion is good for laughs
Forget the pretentiousness; most German auto fans know there's only 1 fashion accessory needed:
a beer belly

^^Photo credit: betterfitnessdaily.com
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche 918 being delivered to TruSpeed Garage at Laguna Seca

Vintage Koni Poster I took a liking to

A BMW M-1/2 ;-)

A stunning English Brough worth $350k!

Porsche Singer on display at Fisherman's Wharf with Al Capone's recently restored yacht in the background. The yacht recently underwent a 5 year restoration and like the Singer, retains it's original glory with all the latest sophisticated marine electronics and propulsion systems.

The voluptuous Porsche GT1 with Jackie Ickx's 935/77 racer with 1.4 liter turbo aka baby.

A gaggle of vintage 911's readying for the Weissach Cup

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Is that Magnus Walker standing next to Rob Dickinson of Singer in the back ground?
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like the same guy I saw ^^ at an Exclusive Porsche Zentrum reception, Pebble Beach Concours, etc. He was all over.
Originally Posted by vincer77

BMW M-1/2 ;-)
Hilarious ^^ Awesome pics, Vince!!!

thank you for the information!
Luckily you asked about an auto 'celebrity' I've met & have treasured memories of.
I should thank you for the reminder of fond times

you deserve an award for your coverage!
The crazy thing: we're not even half-way through my pics yet

Speaking of awards, Past President Prescott Kelly judged our 993 as 1st In Class at a Concours that draws national PCA leadership from the east coast, etc.
He returned after the scoring to continue his compliments of our Speedster's craftsmanship, & to photograph her.

His enthusiasm & critique are especially treasured because of who he is: an expert & enthusiast respected throughout the industry. Just 3 days prior, he judged Porsches for the Carmel Concours. In 2011 he celebrated a victory with Rolf Sprenger (PAG Exclusive) & Detleve Von Platen (PCNA CEO) at the Pebble Beach Concours.
Besides hanging out with RL friends, Mr. Kelly's appraisal of 'Speedy' was a highlight
Bonus: crossing paths with him at the Pebble Beach Concours, where he surprised us by snapping an impromptu shot of my wife & I with his camera!
Great man, great memories

Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm out of order
Before I show more of my butt by reliving earning an award ^^ let me get back to media coverage of Wed night's patriotic Jet Center Party--
MotorAuthority.com's "McCall Motorworks Revival: Saving The Best For First" news article:
Originally Posted by MotorAuthority.com

A huge percentage of the best of the best of the automotive universe is on the Monterey peninsula this week, and kicking off the festivities is the McCall Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center.

Mixing airplanes with automobiles and plenty of high-end hob-mobbing, the McCall Motorworks Revival is the place to see and be seen in the days leading up to the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It's also a great place to see some of the hottest cars in the world, from both the past and the present.

Among the cars on display were the Aston Martin V12 Vantage S and Vanquish Volante, both making their U.S. debuts, plus a selection of classic race cars and one of our personal favorites, the latest addition to the Singer 911 fold.

Painted in a muted representation of the Gulf Oil colors, the newest Singer 911 is making the rounds before heading off to its owner in Dubai later this year.

Check out the gallery for more of the sights from the Monterey Jet Center, and for even more automotive excellence, access our Pebble Beach hub.
Click the above link for their full gallery. Here are their gratuitous German booty shots
Porsche 911 Reimagined by Singer

PPI Speed Design Razor GTR Coupe, not afraid to kick off its heels & stretch its legs:

...& bringing up the rear:

^^ By MotorAuthority.com
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fskof
Is that Magnus Walker standing next to Rob Dickinson of Singer in the back ground?
Looks like Magnus is talking to the person on his left, but Rob and Magnus know each other from POC racing days.

I think that's Freeman Thomas taking a look at the Singer cockpit. I caught him doing some judging on the lawn on sunday.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ

Freeman Thomas
^^ Former senior Porsche designer & founder of "R Gruppe"

McCall's Jet Center Party was the world debut of Pagani's first US-legal Huayra, ~$1.2-1.7M USD.

Photos of it & the PPI Razor from Supercars.net's "Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival 2013" gallery:

PPI Speed Design Razor GTR Coupe, not afraid to kick off its heels & stretch its legs
Barefoot in the V10:

^^ © SuperCars.net's Richard Michael Owen

Quick Reply: Monterey '13 photo thread: Singer 911, Motorworks Revival, Concours, Laguna, PebbleB!