Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo non-switched power not working. HU keeps dropping settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo non-switched power not working. HU keeps dropping settings

I recently added a Kenwood KCD-X997 HU to my 993. Everything works great besides the fact that the stereo will not hold the settings I program and the "demo" feature constantly repeats every time I turn the car on. I checked that the pins are connected but it seems the connection of the "red" non switched pin and the common black wire are not getting batter power.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I'm not sure if I should explore the radio or the connections farther back from the HU.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like what should be connected to constant power, is connected to switched power, thus the radio is "forgetting" presets, and effectively rebooting every time.

Who did the install?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

I did the install, which Im sure could scream that the install was the problem, which is entirely possible. The nice thing about the install is that the CDR220 had a pin-out label with color wire attached to the base. I used the crutchfield harness and the Kenwood harness and connected properly following the pin-out on the CDR220 and the Kenwood manual, and luckily every color between the two harnesses matched.

The yellow wire for both harnesses was the switched (ignition) power, and the red wire was the constant (non-switched) wire for both stereos. I guess my best bet is to get in there with a multimeter and track down the two power wires. I was hoping someone could have had the same problem and I just did something dumb.

PS I installed it with my buddy who is a "certified audio tech", which he says doesnt mean much but he understood enough to help me quickly install the harness and HU.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I would start with the red wire, and make sure that it is truly constant power.

Check the battery voltage too, a weak battery can also cause the radio to "forget"

Beyond that, I would call Kenwood tech support, I have found they generally have first hand experience with most of the common problems, and they are there to help.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

I will call kenwood and/or crutchfield tomorrow. Before then I will check the wiring and power. I have a moderate understanding of electronics but it was my first stereo hook up so I wanted to check if I missed some trick with the 993 about non-switched power for the HU. Thanks for the help Kika.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Have the same unit. I'd I recall you actually have to turn off the demo mode for the unit. I can't help you with the wiring as I replaced an after market unit with another one

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo non-switched power not working. HU keeps dropping settings