Sponsored by:

Bilstein hd shocks questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

HD stands for Heavy Duty. However, things get more interesting from there.

In US Belstein has HD and Sport shocks for most cars. They are valved the same. The difference is the actual length of the shock. HS is used with stock springs, Sport is used with lower springs. In Europe, the same shocks are named Sport and Sprint. To make things more confusing, US Sport == Eu Sprint and US HD == EU Sport. Since 993s have adjustable perches i guess Bisltein, in their infinite wisdom decided that HD is a fine designation for a 993 shock. Possibly because it's the same body length as original Monroes and Sacks? I'm not sure.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
HD stands for Heavy Duty. However, things get more interesting from there.

In US Belstein has HD and Sport shocks for most cars. They are valved the same. The difference is the actual length of the shock. HS is used with stock springs, Sport is used with lower springs. In Europe, the same shocks are named Sport and Sprint. To make things more confusing, US Sport == Eu Sprint and US HD == EU Sport. Since 993s have adjustable perches i guess Bisltein, in their infinite wisdom decided that HD is a fine designation for a 993 shock. Possibly because it's the same body length as original Monroes and Sacks? I'm not sure.
Good insight thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, the bilstein HD have extra threads so you can lower your car if you have the correct springs to do so.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 AM
Sean993
Instructor

I had the bilstein hd's on my car, till a couple of months ago , when I switched them for the koni fsd's. The bilstien's have sharper handling, but the harshness is hard to live with, not as bad with 17 in wheels. As for ride height only the front struts on the koni's are adjustable, but that is all you need if you use M030 or M033 springs, with one degree of rake the height looks perfect, I am in South Tampa near Hyde Park Village if you want to see for yourself.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean993
I am in South Tampa near Hyde Park Village if you want to see for yourself.
I am too! The three of us should get together so he can compare ride. Mine are the BilsteinHD and M030 springs. As harsh as I could stand in South Tampa.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Sean993
Instructor

We could meet near Davis island airport, there are a few corners there, Ill pm my number
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I am too! The three of us should get together so he can compare ride. Mine are the BilsteinHD and M030 springs. As harsh as I could stand in South Tampa.
Ya that sounds like a good idea!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The H&R kit includes springs and I believe
4 Bilstein shocks valved to match $1900 on ebay. Inexpensive and get the job done.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

My opinion and nothing more, I'd say start by investigating the Koni FSD technology. Cast around for a 993 owner in your area who has lived with these newer FSD dampers. The FSD/M033 equipped 993 I drove for about an hour (in Germany) was compelling; Street/sport use with a DE thrown in for good measure. There's plenty of VW GTI MkV chassis owners (GymKhana racers) who concur...
The performance of the USA Bilstein HD (B6) mono tube series has long been a benchmark in street dampers,, for decades - and has a life time warranty to match. Choices, choices... Door number one, NO door number two, NO one...

A M033/FSD equipped 993 is a desirable combination for street/sportif use.
But hey,, I'm just saying... Something to keep in mind is this, street ain't the track and vice verse.

Originally Posted by dmurchison
So is the konis better then the blisteins in your opinion?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the only way to tell is to try. Luckily, there's a large enough and generous enough Rennlist community where you can almost always get a ride in someone's car with desired suspension, mods etc.

One word of warning. I'd mostly disregard the same shocks on different cars as base for comparison. As some examples, Tein makes very good suspension for Japanese cars that does not work well on European cars. Some say that reverse is true for Bilsteins. It boils down to how familiar the manufacturer of the shocks/coilovers with a particular model. Getting the rates correct is far, far from easy.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh I second what he (nile13) said. It takes real suspension evaluation time, can't phone this stuff in, to get the best out of a chassis damper/spring set up..
... Never true'r words spoken. Drive the very car/application.

Originally Posted by nile13
... EDIT/DELETE...
...It boils down to how familiar the manufacturer of the shocks/coilovers with a particular model. Getting the rates correct is far, far from easy.

Quick Reply: Bilstein hd shocks questions