Sponsored by:

Question re: Oil Temp Regulator in Oil Tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Question re: Oil Temp Regulator in Oil Tank

Have researched and determined that I may have a bad oil temp regulator in the oil thermostat housing. At extended idle on a warm day, I can get the oil temp to the 10 o'clock position, yet the oil level gauge just barely gets out of the red. I know there's plenty of oil in the tank, since I can get oil up into the filler neck with less than a half quart (then have to suck it out with my Mity-Vac) The oil level gauge has been working well and accurately up until a couple of weeks ago. Dipstick indicates proper oil level. Does the sender arm need adjusting or does the temp regulator and springs need replacing? Or would you just do both? (military "dual channel for reliability" thinking). TIA
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Wait....we have two issues here.
First and foremost, oil temperature !!! And level .
Start with easiest, with hot engine idling, please make it that oil level on dipstick is at the middle of the twisted range.
When so, please place hand on right front fender and check it is hot.
If hot, oil thermostat is doing its role. If not, I will walk you through rebuilding thermostat
For the temperature at 10 o'clock , you have to check that your radiator fan is working at both speeds. If so, the only thing left would be the oil temp sensor.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks, GEOLAB. I neglected to check the right front fender to see if it was hot. Will do so at next opportunity and go from there. Last time I came in from a long drive, after shutting off the ignition, I do recall hearing the cooling fan run a couple of times. Update: Just removed R04 relay and jumpered appropriate base terminals. Both low and high speed fan working, so I can assume that resistors are not the culprit (although the relay might be faulty).

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 06-27-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Question re: Oil Temp Regulator in Oil Tank