Sponsored by:

993 non-S vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
An "S" driver wants the look and the badge, they don't care about performance.
Gotta love the quote button. This statement pretty much takes care of all that's wrong about your position.

Enjoy your weekend
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Gotta love the quote button. This statement pretty much takes care of all that's wrong about your position.

Enjoy your weekend
Face palm.

I actually like that statement I made. It's stronger than my original. Of course I was only matching your intensity when I wrote that one. It was a poke at u (nobody else seems to care what i think and i dot even think anyone else is reading it) and it worked. And of course I don't mean it 100% literally...duh. If you're going to take my words literally, then u have to take them ALL literally. You can't pick and choose like a pmsing girlfriend.

I'm almost flattered that someone's taken the time to try to pick me apart. But u suck at it.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
I didn't criticize the awd system of the 4S. It's actually really good even in the dry. By "performance" I mean on the track, which is the only place you should be exercising that performance. Not in the rain and snow on the street. On the track, fine.
Uh, when does the viscous coupler come into play on dry pavement? Period. (Exception for dust/dirt/gravel coated.)

I'll compare notes with anyone on any/all differences in track driving between what I've observed with my two, same day/track/more-or-less tires. The AWD car being worn-out stock, the RWD being about as far developed as anyone here has in an arguably street legal variant. Know what? It's about 4 sec/min. lap time, and near zero difference in driving style. Data backs this up with an overall universal dip pretty much everywhere on my measuring track, Thunderhill.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Uh, when does the viscous coupler come into play on dry pavement? Period. (Exception for dust/dirt/gravel
By "really good in the dry" I mean non-invasive.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 AM
porsche bud
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by schroed911
I've tried to get myself to buy sight unseen based on a PPI and have never pulled the trigger.

Paying 993 prices for a ~17 year old car that is slow compared to current sports cars, will have some wear and tear and require some reconditioning is an emotional buy.

For me I wanted that aircooled bucket of bolts engine sound in a WB.

Buy what you like and what you can afford.
Totally on the same page. I want to tell myself that it's okay to buy sight unseen based on a PPI, but don't think I can do it.

Sounds like I may have to pass on both...and keep searching!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:30 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if it was mentioned, but you should get one in better condition and that was taken better care off. In my case I found C4S with 70k miles. For 15k less I would be looking at 80k miles convertible. As long as you don't overpay for the S, you will recoup the premium on the resale.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
The 4S is a status car, the c2 is a performance car. Which is more important to you? And it's ok to say status, because well, many people want that and that's why they buy a Porsche.
hahaha....that's like saying that the C2 is poor's man 911, because he/she can't afford any other 911 (due to high price or high maintenance).

And as far as performance, tell me with straight face that if you found "S" car and identical C2, you would not get the "S" because it has "inferior" performance.

I surely would not consider 4S to be a status car (yes ,I drive one), it's just better looking than C2, in my subjective opinion.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow the old adage, per Bruce Anderson ( R.I.P.), buy the best car that you can afford (and like). Don't worry about what everyone else has. If "investment" is your criteria, put the car up on jack stands, cover it up, and wait ten years, then sell at a profit.......... or "just drive it"! Today's status symbol is tomorrow's used car; more affordable for the rest of us........
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 AM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by NYC993
hahaha....that's like saying that the C2 is poor's man 911, because he/she can't afford any other 911 (due to high price or high maintenance).

And as far as performance, tell me with straight face that if you found "S" car and identical C2, you would not get the "S" because it has "inferior" performance.

Welcome to the Porsche hierarchy. Guy who bought a Cayman did so because he couldn't afford a 911, base Boxster owner gets shat on by everybody...etc etc. It's a stigma I know. I'm not saying it's right. But only one thing is for sure, when you buy a Porsche, you are ALWAYS judged by someone, one way or the other.

Does the C2 come with $15k in cash in the glovebox?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOS
Does the C2 come with $15k in cash in the glovebox?
Mine did. That's the way I felt when I gave up trying to find a pristine 2S.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Exactly! You priced them equal who would take a C2 cause it supposedly has a performance advantage.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Exactly.

His is a lame attempt at "Justification Theater". There's always haters when they can't play the game.

As for the $15K in the glove box? Since the S cars command a premium and appreciate faster, it'll turn in to at least $20K when it comes to sell.

Thanks for playing
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 993 c4s and the only reason I chose it over the c2/4 variants is because of looks. That's it. I think the 993 is the last iconic Porcshe ( my take) and that the 993 is the epitomy of the classic Porsche coke bottle style. Discussions over status ( had a laugh there given the price point) and performance differences between a wb and nb models are exercises in futility.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally never understood Porsche putting an "S" next to the name without adding MORE power/performance. So I say if you're going to buy a wide body, made it a Turbo!

Also, notice how 997 and 991 "S" has more power. Porsche finally got it right and THAT is what S should stand for. Save the cash, go with the "Carrera" and don't look back! Just make sure you get a leak down and compression test!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
I personally never understood Porsche putting an "S" next to the name without adding MORE power/performance. So I say if you're going to buy a wide body, made it a Turbo!
Completely agree. For me the only thing I preferred about the C2S over the C2 was the wide body front bumper. Easy enough to retrofit that.

Quick Reply: 993 non-S vs. 4S