Sponsored by:

993 non-S vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yeah, tell anyone who drives a C4S and a C2 in the snow/rain that the C4S isn't a performance car

Both cars post nearly identical performance numbers, and by definition, a 17 year old car isn't a status car
need to post my buried in the snow photos again? (Let's not forget there ARE a few narrow body all wheel drivers out there, though.......)

Originally Posted by kjr914
porsche bud,
you've gotten great advice above. The key is in the "Do you lust for a widebody?" question, if not, you've just saved $15k (mind you, about $5k of that is lower mileage for the cars you listed).
Well, no you haven't. Maybe you've parked $X more in the car. But where is it on the back end? If there is none, how are we talking about widebodies being higher priced than narrowbodies.

Main point is that I can't believe that an initial purchase price of $10-15-25K makes a bit of difference. If you can afford $40K, you can afford $60K. May be a mental block, but you're not trading off meat v. ramen noodles for dinner.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
schroed911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to get myself to buy sight unseen based on a PPI and have never pulled the trigger.

Paying 993 prices for a ~17 year old car that is slow compared to current sports cars, will have some wear and tear and require some reconditioning is an emotional buy.

For me I wanted that aircooled bucket of bolts engine sound in a WB.

Buy what you like and what you can afford.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can add to the discussion is there is nothing like washing the fenders of your wide body 993...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can absorb the extra $$ for a WB, do it for the <20k miles. There are ways to disable the AWD if you really want 2WD. The differences are subtle, get whatever makes you happy.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, tell anyone who drives a C4S and a C2 in the snow/rain that the C4S isn't a performance car

Both cars post nearly identical performance numbers, and by definition, a 17 year old car isn't a status car
I didn't criticize the awd system of the 4S. It's actually really good even in the dry. By "performance" I mean on the track, which is the only place you should be exercising that performance. Not in the rain and snow on the street. On the track, fine.

Performance numbers don't mean ****. The numbers that count in this case are power, weight, drag coefficient. Power/weight ratio and drag are worse in a 4S. That is fact which cannot be disputed. Performance numbers like 0-60, lateral g...can be argued all day long.

And if u honestly think that nobody buys a 993 for status, well then you're just being ignorant. Maybe you didn't, but it happens.

Why spend an extra $15k on slightly wider fenders? A C4 is a better car than a C4S. Get a big brake kit for cheap, slap it on your C4, then u have the same car and better performance for much less. Actually I wouldn't even bother with the heavier brakes, but I mention it for comparison's sake.

Really it comes down to this...

Do u care more about looks and the S badge? Then get the 4S.
Do u care more about performance? Then get a c2 or c4.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by schroed911

For me I wanted that aircooled bucket of bolts engine sound in a WB.

I sincerely hope u bought a wb for more than engine sound. You do know that nb and wb have the same engine and same sound right?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Monkey Brain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO.

Cars are like women, hence the reason we give them names.

For me, the real difference is in the appearance. It's the very first thing that instantly comes to mind. Performance is great, brakes are cool, mods are wonderful. However, I'd never ever look at a car and instantly say to myself - "Boy, look at those brakes. So glad I bought em".

Laurence hit the nail on the head. Nothing like a wide body.

btw - Brand new member here. Looking for a 993 C2S or C4S.

Last edited by Monkey Brain; 06-21-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
I didn't criticize the awd system of the 4S. It's actually really good even in the dry. By "performance" I mean on the track, which is the only place you should be exercising that performance. Not in the rain and snow on the street. On the track, fine.

Performance numbers don't mean ****. The numbers that count in this case are power, weight, drag coefficient. Power/weight ratio and drag are worse in a 4S. That is fact which cannot be disputed. Performance numbers like 0-60, lateral g...can be argued all day long.

And if u honestly think that nobody buys a 993 for status, well then you're just being ignorant. Maybe you didn't, but it happens.

Why spend an extra $15k on slightly wider fenders? A C4 is a better car than a C4S. Get a big brake kit for cheap, slap it on your C4, then u have the same car and better performance for much less. Actually I wouldn't even bother with the heavier brakes, but I mention it for comparison's sake.

Really it comes down to this...

Do u care more about looks and the S badge? Then get the 4S.
Do u care more about performance? Then get a c2 or c4.
Geez, sounds like it's been a long winter in BC. Sure hope the sun comes out soon for you, buddy.

If you think most people are buying a 993 solely because they want ultimate performance numbers on a track above everything else, there's the ignorance. Drag coefficient C4 vs. C4S on a 993? Ridiculous. Who cares? No one. Why? Because anyone that focused on drag numbers isn't buying a 993. It's a 17 year-old car that so many modern cars can run circles around, performance wise.

Porsche actually continued making cars after the 993. They got better, performance-wise. One that comes to mind is a car called the 997 GT3 RS. It is a track focused appliance. Anyone who is obsessed with outright performance, power, weight, numbers, etc. is buying something like that.

So, yes, if you want looks and style and some performance to boot: buy a 993

If you want outright performance above all else, you don't buy a 993. Buy a 997 GT3 RS and get real about it.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
SOS
Pro

If you think most people are buying a 993 solely because they want ultimate performance numbers on a track above everything else, there's the ignorance.
Uh, i dont know what post youre reading, but I'm almost saying the exact opposite.

Oh and my 993 has been insured for more than a full calendar year (first winter ever!) I'm surprised my car hasn't melted in the rain.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM
SOS
Pro

Drag coefficient C4 vs. C4S on a 993? Ridiculous. Who cares? No one.

If you want outright performance above all else, you don't buy a 993. Buy a 997 GT3 RS and get real about it.
Thanks for basically making my point. An "S" driver wants the look and the badge, they don't care about performance. And DC is the least of its drawbacks.

And we're comparing 993 models in this thread. Not 997s to 993s.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOS
An "S" driver wants the look and the badge, they don't care about performance.
Thanks for telling me why I bought my C4S

I get the feeling you don't have an S car. Maybe there's some badge/WB envy on your part. Sure seems like it.

Enjoy your 993. It's not really that great a performance machine, S or non-S. S cars are more coveted by the marketplace and demand a price premium though
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez, sounds like it's been a long winter in BC. Sure hope the sun comes out soon for you, buddy.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM
SOS
Pro

Thanks for telling me why I bought my C4S

I get the feeling you don't have an S car. Maybe there's some badge/WB envy on your part. Sure seems like it.
Lol. First, I actually said in one post that you may not be like that, but some are. But now you're looking every bit the stereotype. Pulling status on me, waving the "badge/WB" in my face like I'm supposed to be inferior and envious! Decent entertainment for me, but looks bad on u.

Why are u so defensive? All I originally said was if you're more into the looks and badge, then get the S. If u care more about performance, then get a narrow body.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOS
Lol. First, I actually said in one post that you may not be like that, but some are. But now you're looking every bit the stereotype. Pulling status on me, waving the "badge/WB" in my face like I'm supposed to be inferior and envious! Decent entertainment for me, but looks bad on u.

Why are u so defensive? All I originally said was if you're more into the looks and badge, then get the S. If u care more about performance, then get a narrow body.
No, you said the reason people by an S is because they're into status/badges. You claim that's why we bought an S. It's kind of a ridiculous statement. No more/less ridiculous than thinking you're just envious because you couldn't afford one. Really, you don't know what prompted anyone to buy anything. Nor I you. Some people actually like the WB look better. Others like the equipment that came on it better. Maybe some think it'll be a good investment. Who knows? I dont. But you think you do. And you really don't.

You also claim that a non-S is the "performance" car. Also kind of ridiculous. All these N/A cars have the same engine. Any performance advantage is due to driving skill more than foolish statements having to do with drag etc. No one is buying a 17 year old 993 for the state of the art performance. A new V6 Camry or Accord has as much power as our 993.

I don't know what kind of 993 you have, or if you even have one. But anyone who is silly enough to think that these are performance focused machines in this day and age, or there's any real advantage performance-wise S or non-S, or that a 17 year old car is a status symbol has a lot to learn.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by SOS
The 4S is a status car, the c2 is a performance car. Which is more important to you? And it's ok to say status, because well, many people want that and that's why they buy a Porsche.
I said many, not all. And i even said its ok and I meant it.

Quick Reply: 993 non-S vs. 4S