Sponsored by:

Suggestions for 993 upgrades for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993

Didn't say the brakes are compromised and didn't say R compounds, but if you can elaborate why running slicks is a bad idea that would help.

I wish I could show you my mind's eye video of the guy doing an AX with hoosiers for the first time.
He was a low - intermediate level driver and bought some speed at the tyre store.
I watched him get into a mild tank-slapper, hit a 6" curb @ 45mph+ and launch through a chain link fence.

<fortunately it was a 996 >

AND

This was at an AX, not a DE.

Seat time is most important once mechanical safety issues are addressed.

Have fun.

Craig
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
jbeachy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all again for the posts. I have two track events this month, so it will be good to test the new racing pads out, and get some good instruction through the BMW CCA event. However, the check engine light came on just before the holiday weekend, so I'm concerned about getting it addressed before the event next weekend. The code is PO302m misfire on #2 cylinder. Does anyone have experience with this. I don't think the plugs have been changed since I bought the car 2.5 years ago, so hopefully that's all it is???
Old 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM
jbeachy
Intermediate

The track weekend ended up going well. The Hawk Blue pads worked great (though I'm amazed at how loud they are on the street). They put me in the novice group (D) to start and then moved me up so I could start the second day with the C group. Things were going well, good instruction to get some tips on how to approach different parts of the track. Y'all are welcome to watch a lap and provide feedback as you feel inclined.

Towards the end of the second day, I could really tell that my street tires (Sumitomo HTZ) would fall off after about 15 minutes. To compensate, I tried to slow down, but that threw off my timing - I turned to hard into the esses and it came around - though I managed to keep it off the wall. Again, there's video of that below, at about the 2:25 mark.

All in all, it was still a successful weekend, and as many people have said here, the street tires are helping me to know when I've made a mistake. Again, comments welcome!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I removed the cat for 2 reasons
1) less weight at the extreme back end of the car
2) less heat

you do get somewhat better exhaust gas flow, how much is hard to say, but it's not big
it's more difficult to do this on the US OBD2 cars, '96 up
Bill, what did you put in place of the cats?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
Bill, what did you put in place of the cats?
Cat bypass pipes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Cat bypass pipes
Okay, did you get one fabricated or buy from a suplier? I would like to make this change since my car is essentially only driven on the race track.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, did you get one fabricated or buy from a suplier? I would like to make this change since my car is essentially only driven on the race track.
Both Cargraphic and FVD have them
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Both Cargraphic and FVD have them
Thanks!

I found this one: (Catalyser Replacement - "X") http://www.cargraphicts.com/index.php?id=120356&L=1
Did you buy direct from Germany?

Last edited by cavlino; 09-15-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: found link to share
Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

I found this one: (Catalyser Replacement - "X") http://www.cargraphicts.com/index.php?id=120356&L=1
Did you buy direct from Germany?
I don't care for the X version at all, the gas merge design sucks

I like and use what they call the cross over design w/ their ceramic coated tips.

The tips w/ the perforated lining look interesting too if noise control is an issue, which it increasingly is.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Hawk blues are IMHO awful pads in terms of feel & modulation. They're good for scrubbing discs but that's about it. Suggest you try a different compound or brand. Bill's suggestions were good.

Get more time on task and coaching and have fun ... The rest is baloney (at this stage).
Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

I don't care for the X version at all, the gas merge design sucks

I like and use what they call the cross over design w/ their ceramic coated tips.

The tips w/ the perforated lining look interesting too if noise control is an issue, which it increasingly is.
I appreciate your feedback Bill and will get the cross over design version. Did you buy direct from Germany or is there a North American supplier I can reach out to?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carm we also offer a catbyass X pipe that uses a cast center section. This allows us to have a nice, uniform tight radius bend with a center "talk" area that is tuned.

The nice thing about X-pipes in general is the noise is slightly less than with the crossover pipes, thus you should not have trouble passing sound at most tracks.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:32 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Carm we also offer a catbyass X pipe that uses a cast center section. This allows us to have a nice, uniform tight radius bend with a center "talk" area that is tuned.

The nice thing about X-pipes in general is the noise is slightly less than with the crossover pipes, thus you should not have trouble passing sound at most tracks.
Hi Chris, thanks for that info I will keep it in mind
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 292 Posts

Concur re: Hawk Blues. Hawk DTC-60's are a far better compound. You get what you pay for...if you're lucky. Congrats on keeping the sheet metal intact. RA is not the easiest track to start on. As you gain experience, you'll come to realize that you would've felt that thru your butt soon enough to have corrected and saved it.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM
driveline
Advanced

Default cats.

I won't pretend to be a track master but having spent most of my career in obtaining better fuel economy in getting power to the ground, removing the emissions on a track car is a good idea for two reasons; weight in the rear and loss in power (it can be up to 10%). Now I would hold the German design at a higher level with lower than average loss in performance, but it is undeniable that cats will only reduce power. Don't forget the air pump as well.

I am planning my first DE at TWS in October, and my priorities will be in instruction and changing my brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 993 upgrades for HPDE